Thread: Help with joystick needed

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Help with joystick needed

Hi blokes. Love your work. But frankly this game remains almost unplayable for me because of the inability to aim properly.

I have a vbk sim gladiator. I’ve tried fiddling with the sensitivity and dead zone settings but it still seems the slightest touch of the stick causes the aircraft to bounce up and down wildly to make drawing a bead impossible.

Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Re: Help with joystick needed

Have you learned to "trim" your aircraft, and have you set your gun convergence? These are 2 huge factors in being able to target your opponent successfully and consistently. If your convergence is off, no matter how well you have your target in your gun-site, most of your bullets will miss you target because they are either converging before the target or after the target. If your aircraft is not "trimmed" true, meaning you've adjusted your elevator trim, rudder trim and aileron trim (if applicable) so that your aircraft is flying in a level, straight path (the most energy efficient posture for your aircraft), you should be able to let go of your yoke and the aircraft should fly with very little change in heading. If your aircraft is trimmed true, you will hardly notice any deflection from your guns when you pull the trigger. If your aircraft is not trimmed, it will seem like every time you pull the trigger, your gun-site will wander all over the place, making it virtually impossible to score a hit.

There is all kinds of information on setting these 2 factors on this site and others. Simply run the keywords "trim" and "convergence" through a search field.
    Last edited by TWC_Padre; Nov-14-2019 at 01:04.

3. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Hi
    I got my Gladiator last week and experienced similar problems. It is very precise and a pleasure to use but around 0 it is a pain so far. It has a very undistinct centre and does not return to the middle position by itself.
    May I ask where did you try with deadzones and sensitivity?
    In CLOD or in VKB Device config software?
    Have you tried in an other sim?

What I did is now adapt the deadzones in the VKB Config sw so the output of the stick returns to thecentre position when the stick is released. In my case deadzones for x and y are now at 7. If that helps I need to test.
    Then I will try to adapt sensitivity in VKB sw.
    If all that does not help I might consider go back to my TM16000 where keeping a steady aim was not the problem.

Have not tested in BOX or X-plane yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

I recently switched from the Thrusty T16k to the Gladiator MKII and I have to say I have noticed that clod is a lot more twitchy than BOX.
    however, i've set the sliders to about 40% for both X and Y axis and it's much better than it was around the centre for movement.

as Padre says though make sure you trim out where you can and set convergence to the prefered setting, if you're in a british plane be sure to set your sights too.
    Pete
    Some Useful aviation terms:
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.
    Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
    Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
    Overshoot: To run out of ammo on your first pass.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 16Gigs DDR4 2666mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8gb | Win 10 Pro x64 |WD m.2 500gb
    Trackhat clip with PS3 eye| VKB Gladiator Mk.II | TWCS Throttle and rudder pedals | 2 x Logitech Throttle Quadrants.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    Hi
    I got my Gladiator last week and experienced similar problems. It is very precise and a pleasure to use but around 0 it is a pain so far. It has a very undistinct centre and does not return to the middle position by itself.
    May I ask where did you try with deadzones and sensitivity?
    In CLOD or in VKB Device config software?
    Have you tried in an other sim?

What I did is now adapt the deadzones in the VKB Config sw so the output of the stick returns to thecentre position when the stick is released. In my case deadzones for x and y are now at 7. If that helps I need to test.
    Then I will try to adapt sensitivity in VKB sw.
    If all that does not help I might consider go back to my TM16000 where keeping a steady aim was not the problem.

Have not tested in BOX or X-plane yet.
    Works fine in dcs and il2.
    And no it’s not a matter of convergence or trim. The spit in particular bucks like a bronco while trying to take a shot.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm using joystick curves to change the response of the joystick. I'm not using the same joystick as yours, though.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...oystick+curves

Even so, you still have to be delicate while aiming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Tried a centre deadzone of 6 (in VKB config SW) in CLOD and it works better for me. Still very sensible around the centre in both pitch and roll but I guess that is mainly getting used to coming from the opposite characteristics of the TM16000. Have not really figured out the easiest way to get a slight S-curve in VKB config SW yet but will give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You need get used with VKB gimbal - a kind of clone of CH gimbal, with independent X, Y axes, with soft springs expansion springs, one per axis, and the exclusive grease damper.

T.16000M gimbal use only one compression springs, what require excessive force for move stick for center position.

Use Gladiator like pilots of Spitfire tell in their anecdotes, with just hand pressure.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-15-2019 at 18:41.

10. Likes Kayo liked this post