Thread: Vapour trail comparison - Duxford Airshow Crash of the BF109 Black 6 in Oct 1997

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Vapour trail comparison - Duxford Airshow Crash of the BF109 Black 6 in Oct 1997

You probably have seen this crash of the "Black 6" in Oct 1997.

The vapour trails out of the right exhaust of the Black 6
    Now see how it looks in Cliffs:

It trails out of the left side (Which seems to be the valve spot for the Bf 109 E's)
    Apparently not exactly where the exhaust is, but I suppose cliffs handles the valve position, not the opening where vapour escapes out of the engine cowling.
    Still pretty damn accurate.

I tried a better approach, but the flyby "F3" view resets it's position, so I wasn't able to do a much cleaner flight similar to the incident.
    I was happy that the "reset" in this video was done while I was right over the camera, making it seem that it hasn't reset it's position lol.
    This was recorded live flying visually with "F3" flyby view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: Vapour trail comparison - Duxford Airshow Crash of the BF109 Black 6 in Oct 1997

The video at the top reminded me some " experiences " that I have had with the Bf 110 while landing...
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Vapour trail comparison - Duxford Airshow Crash of the BF109 Black 6 in Oct 1997

Here's the report for the first clip: CLICK for report. Contains some juicy details about operating the 109, it's history, and the cause for the crash.

Regarding the relief valve, a good detail indeed. What I think would help Cliffs pilots more is the presence of smoke inside the cockpit. For example, I sometimes overheat the 109, but most of the time I only find out by checking the temperatures. Even though I'm probably trailing coolant from the relief valve, I don't see it, unless I do a sharp turn and check my six.

Would be great if TFS could add some in-cockpit indication to allow the pilot to better diagnose the situation he's in. (Smoke inside the cockpit, some kind of smell indicator to pick-up oil leaks, the feeling of hot coolant/lubrication fluids running down the pilot's legs etc. - a guy can dream, can't he?)

At the moment we can't even see engine fire from inside the cockpit. (It's only the red screen becoming even more red that tells us that we're on fire).

Just a suggestion, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Hard for me to critique the pilot of Black 6.. but I feel like he had alot more time to bring it down safely. Seems like he panicked when he heard white vapor trail. Should have circled 1 more time to bleed air speed and altitude.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

5. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by katschmarek View Post
    Here's the report for the first clip: CLICK for report. Contains some juicy details about operating the 109, it's history, and the cause for the crash.

Regarding the relief valve, a good detail indeed. What I think would help Cliffs pilots more is the presence of smoke inside the cockpit. For example, I sometimes overheat the 109, but most of the time I only find out by checking the temperatures. Even though I'm probably trailing coolant from the relief valve, I don't see it, unless I do a sharp turn and check my six.

Would be great if TFS could add some in-cockpit indication to allow the pilot to better diagnose the situation he's in. (Smoke inside the cockpit, some kind of smell indicator to pick-up oil leaks, the feeling of hot coolant/lubrication fluids running down the pilot's legs etc. - a guy can dream, can't he?)

At the moment we can't even see engine fire from inside the cockpit. (It's only the red screen becoming even more red that tells us that we're on fire).

Just a suggestion, of course.
    I'm thinking a chair that would spontaneously combust..might get your attention..
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis