Thread: How to join an online game?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

How to join an online game?

Hi Chaps,
    I dropped into TS last saturday and connected to the server through game.
    I was presented with a screen i wasn't familiar with and really wasn't sure what to do.
    I could click on the white airfields and they showed particular planes from them but had no idea how to join the match?
    Can i simply join whenever or is it timed for the match length? bit like battle royale?
    where's the best place in TS to drop myself into? is there a general Axis or allied channel?
    I didn't want to just jump into an active channel for a unit you see and start asking a billion questions.

can anyone just quickly run through what i'm supposed to do?
    thanks
    Pete
    Some Useful aviation terms:
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.
    Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
    Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
    Overshoot: To run out of ammo on your first pass.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 16Gigs DDR4 2666mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8gb | Win 10 Pro x64 |WD m.2 500gb
    Trackhat clip with PS3 eye| VKB Gladiator Mk.II | TWCS Throttle and rudder pedals | 2 x Logitech Throttle Quadrants.

2. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper, farley liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to join an online game?

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I dropped into TS last saturday and connected to the server through game.
    I was presented with a screen i wasn't familiar with and really wasn't sure what to do.
    I could click on the white airfields and they showed particular planes from them but had no idea how to join the match?
    Can i simply join whenever or is it timed for the match length? bit like battle royale?
    where's the best place in TS to drop myself into? is there a general Axis or allied channel?
    I didn't want to just jump into an active channel for a unit you see and start asking a billion questions.

can anyone just quickly run through what i'm supposed to do?
    thanks
    Pete
    You need to click on the flag of the side you want to fight on. This will enable airfields for your side on the map.

You then need to click on one of the airfields to select that as your start location. Then either click create, to fly in the plane already chosen or click on the plane and change it to something else.

Then click create.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hi Pete,

once you are connected to a server, you see the map on the left side, on top to the right there are two flags, one British, one for the axis.
    You first have to click on one of them to choose sides.
    Then the active airfields of your side will show up in white.
    Click on one of them and on the right side the picture of a plane will show up. Click on this and you will get another screen showing all aircraft that aer available on this specifc airfield. Choose one by clicking on it. On the right side down below you get an option to customise your ammunition, loadouts and fuel for this aircraft.
    Click ok to get back to the first screen, now your aircraft of choice should be shown on the right side.
    Above the map on the left you can click for the mission briefing, that gives you information about targets and objectives.
    If everything is fine, you click on 'create' (I think this is how it is called in the English version of the game) and you will find yourself sitting in your aircraft ready to start the engine.

You can join, at any time. The missions run for about three hours. Once in game you can open the chat window and type <tl which will tell you how much time is left in this specific mission.

In some missions you can find airstart spawnpoints, that will put you into a flying plane.

In ATAG Community teamspeak you can join the Allied or Axis Forces (look at the entrance site of this forum, there you can see who is online) and will get any help you want.

See you in the skies!

DerDa

On some servers like TWC Campaign, you have to register first for red or blue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Melonfish, also have a look at this thread that covers many things to know for beginners (including how to join servers etc.): https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=5058&p=52711

And by all means, do not hesitate to hop in and ask your questions on TeamSpeak. We don't bite...
    If we are in the middle of a dogfight we'll let you know and catch up with you when over (never lasts too long). Worst case if the channel is busy one of us will move with you to a free channel and take it from there
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi Melonfish,

I can’t really add to the excellent directions given above. Our GUI could be a little more intuitive to be sure - a future project. In the meantime, let me be another voice to say you are welcome to join the server and ATAG Teamspeak at any and all times. We’re a friendly bunch and enjoy having new players wing up with us. Be sure to announce yourself on Teamspeak with something like “Melonfish on comms - new here, chaps. Where should I spawn in?” (or some such ).

Believe me, you’ll have a few chaps chime in with a welcome and you’ll be good to go.

Hint: to sort out who’s who on Teamspeak, I do two of two things - although either will do. I run a small utility called TS Notifier that I’ve set to start automatically when Teamspeak is started. In TS Notifier settings I point it towards launcher64.exe (the Blitz launcher) so in the upper left screen the name(s) of whoever is talking pops up. In TS Notifier settings you can choose where on your monitor the names are displayed (the upper left is default). You can also choose if you want ALL the names on your channel displayed. Handy, whoever is speaking gets his name lit up - but if there are 10+ players on your channel it takes up a lot of room on your monitor. I just have TS Notifier at its default setting of just showing who is speaking at the moment.

A second option, which I do as well, is to run a second monitor to the side of my main monitor. I have the Teamspeak program open and running on the second monitor. That is where I can see who all the players are in my channel. Any crappy monitor is suitable as a second monitor. Running a second monitor is also useful if you choose not to install and run TS Notifier - out of the corner of your eye you can also see who is talking by glancing over at your second monitor.

One tip: in the Teamspeak Tools tab find Hot Keys and assign a handy joystick button or keyboard key for Teamspeak Push To Talk. (as opposed to the default Voice Activated). This avoids subjecting your fellow players to any background household noises - babies crying, dogs barking, wives screeching, brothers-in-law belching, etc

Hope to see you on the server soon!

Cheers,

Snapper

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Nov-27-2019 at 08:51. Reason: spell chequer

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

Thank you guys!
    I think the bit I was a worried about what the "Create" button, i thought by hitting that i'd somehow launch a new wing or something from the field.
    Ok, i'll try some test logins this week and see if i can get on when it's a little busier and give everyone a nice slow, fat target to shoot at...
    Pete
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.
    Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
    Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 16Gigs DDR4 2666mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8gb | Win 10 Pro x64 |WD m.2 500gb
    Trackhat clip with PS3 eye| VKB Gladiator Mk.II | TWCS Throttle and rudder pedals | 2 x Logitech Throttle Quadrants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Pete....what Snapper said! He took the words right out of my mouth!

He's absolutely right when he says we like new players! We all remember how daunting it seemed when we first got started on Cliffs so we make a speciality out of welcoming new guys, like yourself! Get stuck in and remember....you can do no wrong on the servers....just have fun!

We will be looking out for you and will be ready to say 'Hi!' Salute!

9. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Snapper, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Pete....what Snapper said! He took the words right out of my mouth!

He's absolutely right when he says we like new players! We all remember how daunting it seemed when we first got started on Cliffs so we make a speciality out of welcoming new guys, like yourself! Get stuck in and remember....you can do no wrong on the servers....just have fun!

We will be looking out for you and will be ready to say 'Hi!' Salute!
    Hi Melonfish , nice to meet you .

I was going to say what Marlow said and he know's I was going to say it so he jumped in first !!!

You are most welcome to join our merry band and it will be our pleasure to have you on board Sir

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knight View Post

I was going to say what Marlow said and he know's I was going to say it so he jumped in first !!!

.....BBBBwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhh! Ha ha!

You see what I mean, Pete? Yes, it's laughs all around in this Community! I rest my case! Salute!

12. Likes farley, ATAG_Snapper, Melonfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Oh...that reminds me: Melonfish, be sure to assign another joystick button or keyboard key in Teamspeak for “mute”. Some of the banter above is a good example. I can’t focus on my opponent when I’m dogfighting and laughing at the same time!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

14. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Melonfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

After checking the briefing, can anyone advise what Tab-41 is?

I've got TS locked down, my old arma unit used to use it exclusively, just needs the odd tweak I reckon, though my PTT is now the button that was my bomb release...

i used to get mixed up in the heat of battle as to what was PTT (thumb on right hand) and bomb release (thumb on left hand) with inevitable results, which is hilarous but it turns out trying to fly a plane whilst getting shot at makes you all muddled up.
    thankfully bomb release is now the pinky plus top button on my gladiator
    thanks!
    Pete

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    After checking the briefing, can anyone advise what Tab-41 is?

TAB-4-1 key sequence, in some maps, gives you radar information about enemy planes, in somewhat more details than the usual TAB-7-1 key sequence, which is available on all maps.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

18. Likes DRock, ATAG_Knight, Melonfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    TAB-4-1 key sequence, in some maps, gives you radar information about enemy planes, in somewhat more details than the usual TAB-7-1 key sequence, which is available on all maps.
    Chain Home Radar. (Not available in all maps)

In some cases you will need to select which station you get radar info from.

The information will appear in your chat box about 10 seconds after call, and I believe the info is 1-2 minutes old to simulate the real life delay between controllers and reconnaissance. (Please correct me if that’s mistaken.)

These radar stations will give you all info within a certain radius, whereas Tab 7-1 gives you a single fighter and/or bomber direction and certain distance. This feature does not always tell you the closest enemy, so be careful.

20. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Knight, Melonfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Hello melon and welcome sir. In the TWC server tab4/1 is enemy radar (Shows information accurate within 3min.)
    Tab-4 radar listings do not give a full "order of battle" for the entire battlefield. They give you an operational snapshot of your particular sector. If you, for example, wanted to determine if enemy bombers were approaching various targets across France, you could jump into aircraft at various airfields near known strategic targets and obtain radar listings.
    so here is a quick lesson on our radar and how to read it.
    when you press tab 4/1 you get a reading like below.
    ~5F 40mi100°A9 213mph270° Intcpt: 99°5min

This tells you in very succinct form everything you need to know about the aircraft group:

* ~5F: approx. 5 fighters (~5B: 5 bombers). Note that the number is APPROXIMATE. The number is estimated by operators squinting at fuzzy blobs on a cathode ray screen. ~5 could be anywhere from say 2 or 3 to 8 or 9. B vs F is likewise something of a guess and approximation.

* 40mi100°A9 : 40 miles from your location, heading 100 degrees from your location, altitude Angels 9

* 213mph270°: target aircraft current speed is 213mph, heading 270 degrees

* Intcpt: 99°5min: At your current speed, take intercept course 99 degrees to intercept in 5 minutes.

so here is one for you to figure out
    ~2B 60mi180° A15 185mph220° Intcpt:250°19min

We use discord to communicate so if you like you can join us on the discord channel in the briefing and above all have fun <S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

22. Likes DRock, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Fatal_Error View Post
    Hello melon and welcome sir. In the TWC server tab4/1 is enemy radar (Shows information accurate within 3min.)
    Tab-4 radar listings do not give a full "order of battle" for the entire battlefield. They give you an operational snapshot of your particular sector. If you, for example, wanted to determine if enemy bombers were approaching various targets across France, you could jump into aircraft at various airfields near known strategic targets and obtain radar listings.
    so here is a quick lesson on our radar and how to read it.
    when you press tab 4/1 you get a reading like below.
    ~5F 40mi100°A9 213mph270° Intcpt: 99°5min

This tells you in very succinct form everything you need to know about the aircraft group:

* ~5F: approx. 5 fighters (~5B: 5 bombers). Note that the number is APPROXIMATE. The number is estimated by operators squinting at fuzzy blobs on a cathode ray screen. ~5 could be anywhere from say 2 or 3 to 8 or 9. B vs F is likewise something of a guess and approximation.

* 40mi100°A9 : 40 miles from your location, heading 100 degrees from your location, altitude Angels 9

* 213mph270°: target aircraft current speed is 213mph, heading 270 degrees

* Intcpt: 99°5min: At your current speed, take intercept course 99 degrees to intercept in 5 minutes.

so here is one for you to figure out
    ~2B 60mi180° A15 185mph220° Intcpt:250°19min

We use discord to communicate so if you like you can join us on the discord channel in the briefing and above all have fun <S> Fatal
    That's ace! I never realised that was even in the game,
    2 bombers 60 miles on heading 180° angels 15 (4.5km) target speed 185mph and heading 220­°, interception on heading 250° in 19 minutes.

and that last order will depend on whether your directional gyro is set properly and if you remember to use magnetic deviation

24. Likes TWC_Fatal_Error, DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Very good now this only works in the TWC servers both Mission and Campaign.

In the Campaign we have programmed the AI to follow radar contacts that present a threat so there is no longer a predictable path the the enemy fighters or bombers will follow also bombers can pick from any non destroyed target in the flight path they have chosen to avoid detection. A double edge sword this radar is .
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

26. Likes DRock liked this post