Thread: What is possible?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Question What is possible?

Hi guys,

So I'm very new to Cliffs of Dover, I only bought it yesterday(!) and booted it up for the first time this morning after leaving Steam to download for many hours ...

I know nothing about the history of CoD, tend to ignore "community politics" and so on. I see too many people, factions and so on spend too long on the internet arguing about this detail and that detail and which sim or mod is better (yawn). I'm too old for all that nonsense - when you get a bit older you realise that the minutes spent arguing and obsessing over something are a waste, and can't ever be retrieved. Don't obsess, just build it / play it, and enjoy

Anyway, bit surprised. I only learned yesterday when reading up about Cliffs of Dover that Oleg left Maddox Games. I didn't see that coming, and thought he'd be busy beavering away on his next piece of work. I met him briefly at a sim show in Birmingham a few years ago and he was a great guy to listen to, very very passionate about his work and we were all appreciative that he travelled from Russia to make his presentation.

So of course I've only had time to configure my controls (woohoo, my X36/X35 still works) and run through the takeoff and landing training missions. The environment is very immersive and even the feeling of taxing authentic. Last year I flew in a Stearman and the view from the Tiger Moth put me right back in the cockpit. The Stearman is a fantastic plane, beautiful in every way.

My question is, and I suppose it's somewhat unknown at the moment, but what is possible with modding? I see from various web sites (Airwarfare for example), some scripting examples. One specific question, is it possible to define the initial state of an object, eg bridge x starts off destroyed? Or maybe within the script make some initial actions to set it destroyed?

Is there a scripters forum or resource somewhere where the API methods and properties are documented? I'd like to get a feel on what's possible via modding.

Cheers

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: What is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
    My question is, and I suppose it's somewhat unknown at the moment, but what is possible with modding? I see from various web sites (Airwarfare for example), some scripting examples.
    Welcome mate. You've come to the right place.

ATAG is the host for a bunch of guys from all over the world who have currently got together to produce a kind-of overhaul mod for CloD. The intent of this mod is to de-bug the game and to (as far as possible) align all the aircraft models with what can be understood from historical sources.

Pretty much ANYTHING is possible with this game. It's almost a sandbox in many respects. Now that the developer has abandoned the project, the flying community has picked up the task of turning this rough diamond into the Cullinan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

As far as scripting, virtually anything is possible. You can start a project using the Maddox game world and virtually anything from NET, then add anything to a mission you can think of.

As far as modding and the possibilities, its still very early days. But more and more is learned everyday.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the welcome. I've downloaded Stefan Rothdach's IL2DCE source code for some fun reading over the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I've downloaded Stefan Rothdach's IL2DCE source code for some fun reading over the weekend.
    Kodiak's scripting tutorial HERE is also helpful.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Very interesting thanks. I don't yet know if its possible to apply damage to a bridge or other object via script but will do after I open up the dlls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi OldCoder and welcome to the forum!

We try to keep the politics to a minimum here, although inevitably it rears its ugly head now and again. We do keep an emphasis on mutual respect and civility which I think you will feel refreshing. Basically we want this forum to be a friendly place to visit, where we can freely exchange thought and ideas plus ask questions without fear of getting flamed.

As pstyle said, you've come to the right place! Although coding/scripting is way beyond my "ken", several knowledgeable-ones have already responded in this thread. Please visit often!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.23 MB

I hope that is really possible to add a level stabilizer to bombers such as Br.20, otherwise level bombing is quite frustrating and unrealistic.
    I know that there isn't an autopilot in this aircaft, but when the player is in bomber position - IMHO - is more realistic to leave the aircraft altitude to the AI and "ask" for course correction (just as the AP in He111) instead to trim the plan... I never read of a bomberman that adjust the trim

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

See my Blenheim level bombing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7J_nhZ8D4
    Nothing complicated there, just need a little practice.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Sparviero1946 View Post
    I hope that is really possible to add a level stabilizer to bombers such as Br.20, otherwise level bombing is quite frustrating and unrealistic.
    I know that there isn't an autopilot in this aircaft, but when the player is in bomber position - IMHO - is more realistic to leave the aircraft altitude to the AI and "ask" for course correction (just as the AP in He111) instead to trim the plan... I never read of a bomberman that adjust the trim
    One must not lose fight of the fact that the "intention" for bombers was probably that they would be crewed by multiple human players. That is, someone would fly, and another person would be bomb aimer. In the "ideal" world, people would be able to spawn into a bomb-aimer's position for the bomb run, then spawn out again, so as to not spend an hour doing nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I wish i had the knowledge to open a few dlls and know if it was possible to add damage to a bridge!

The more like you the merrier! Welcome.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You can open them with VS2010 but atm I can't see methods to apply damage to units/structures from a plugin.