Thread: Can't get above about 180mph

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Can't get above about 180mph

Ok so I've played the sim for 12 months now. Messed about with rad settings and prop pitch and I still cant get any a/c to go past 180mph on the level. What am I doing wrong?

2. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: Can't get above about 180mph

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNALNORTH View Post
    Ok so I've played the sim for 12 months now. Messed about with rad settings and prop pitch and I still cant get any a/c to go past 180mph on the level. What am I doing wrong?
    What are you flying? Do you have the info window open that shows your throttle and prop pitch settings? What kind of RPM are you seeing? Flaps and landing gear up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Yikes, SIGNALNORTH, I’d be pleased to meet up with you on the ATAG Server to wing up with you on Spitfires or Hurricanes. We can run through start up, take off, cruise and combat settings to get you sorted out. Be sure to install Teamspeak (it’s free) so we can easily converse back and forth. The ingame chat works, but it’s terribly awkward to type and fly at the best of times.

Let me know here or via PM if you’re interested. This sim isn’t much fun unless you can fly your aircraft to its limits.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Have you mastered the art of "trimming" your aircraft. Trimming your aircraft makes sure you're gliding through the air in the most energy efficient manner. An aircraft that is not trimmed properly creates unnecessary/unwanted drag on your aircraft and will substantially effect the speed with which the craft moves through the air. It also makes for a very unstable gun platform which makes it difficult to land most shots. Early in my "career" I found an excellent video that detailed how to trim your aircraft, unfortunately the link is no longer active. If trimming is your problem (which I suspect it might be since you state this is occurring with any aircraft that your flying), others may have links to information on how to trim your aircraft, that can assist you.

Good luck!

6. Likes ATAG_Noofy, farley, ATAG_Snapper, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Padre (VK-P) View Post
    others may have links to information on how to trim your aircraft, that can assist you.

Good luck!
    Here's a good tutorial on trim

Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Dec-30-2019 at 13:31.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Much more success due to advice on this page and that video. Thanks all! Offline just caught with a 109 for the first time and shot it down. Snapper I would love to fly in a big online dogfight but need to buy a headset first. Would you talk me through a few things on line when I get set up? Much appreciate your offer.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The moment someone learns something, they go and shoot down 109s... see, this is why learning is bad.

Leaving jokes aside, SIGNALNORTH, you're in the right community to get quickly up-to-speed on flying and having fun in Cliffs of Dover. Make sure you get that Team Speak and headset, it's priceless, whether it's for learning, or just having fun online.
    Last edited by katschmarek; Dec-30-2019 at 16:34.

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, BOO, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Much more success due to advice on this page and that video. Thanks all! Offline just caught with a 109 for the first time and shot it down. Snapper I would love to fly in a big online dogfight but need to buy a headset first. Would you talk me through a few things on line when I get set up? Much appreciate your offer.
    Absolutely!

I’m in EST time zone (near Toronto, Canada), but I’m used to keeping weird hours. Comes from having Anzac mates.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

12. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by katschmarek View Post
    The moment someone learns something, they go and shoot down 109s... see, this is why learning is bad.

Leaving jokes aside, SIGNALNORTH, you're in the right community to get quickly up-to-speed on flying and having fun in Cliffs of Dover. Make sure you get that Team Speak and headset, it's priceless, whether it's for learning, or just having fun online.
    Please take heart from the fact that I learn stuff, but I still cannot shoot down 109's

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper, BOO, katschmarek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

... as long as y’all stay away from shoothing down G50’s, I’m fine with it
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    ... as long as y’all stay away from shoothing down G50’s, I’m fine with it
    I thought that was done by the 109s that shot down everything that's brown

17. Likes Gingerbread, ATAG_Noofy, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Comes from having Anzac mates.
    ...and ANZAC genes maaaaate
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    ...and ANZAC genes maaaaate
    Shhhhhhhhh! Folks think I’m a totally placid, polite Canuck, mate!

20. Likes ATAG_Torian, farley liked this post