Thread: Bombing with accuracy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Bombing with accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    A magnetic compass will show you magnetic north
    A gyro compass will show you true north

l assume the repeater you speak of is from a gyro compass, hence the differences in north.
    The repeater compass in the German bombers is just a ... repeater. Not a gyro compass. It reproduces (more or less accurately) the information from the magnetic compass, to a more convenient area (i.e. in front of the pilot's eyes).

The difference to true north consists of the magnetic deviation (10 degrees to add to the reading) plus or minus a compass error induced by magnetic interference in the airplane (electrical equipment, metallic masses, etc.). Plus or minus wind drift of course...

This number varies depending on the heading of the plane. Every plane has a "variation chart" which indicates the correction by heading.
    In the Bf 109 it is displayed to the right of the cockpit.

For the other aircraft it has to be done by rotating the aircraft, reading the heading on both compasses and comparing them to true heading.

Below is a summary chart for most bombers in CLoD (BR20 still WiP). Blenny data courtesy Rostic.

Compass corrections v20191226.pdf
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jan-29-2020 at 18:04.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

2. Likes Rostic, rontaila, ATAG_Ezzie, addict liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread View Post
    Speaking of finding targets: From time to time it comes to my mind that there was a map -still preBlitz- where reds needed to find a secret blue base in the middle of a forest (maybe near Desvres?). Well, that was a nice challenge!
    Does anyone know what happened to that map? (I don't remember the name sadly.) Didn't made the map into Blitz, or was just that specific target removed from the map?
    This one?
    http://eaotro.xara.hosting/cliffs-of...x-missions.htm

cheers
    henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Nice youtube on lancaster VS B17 bombload, and differing philosophy re armour on aircraft between US and Britain. interesting comments re accuracy start at 12 .20 in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQj2qfpXSg

5. Likes farley liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12