Thread: TFS 5.0 Anti Aliasing Announcement

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

TFS 5.0 Anti Aliasing Announcement

Team Fusion Simulations will be introducing two new AA options to the upcoming Battle of Britain flight simulator IL-2 Cliffs and Dover and the upcoming expansion into the North African theatre of war.

They are:

FXAA - Supporting 3 modes and quality settings (1 shader pass)

FXAA(Fast Aproximate AA) is a post AA mode that use blur filters. First, it detects contrasts ("edges") in the frame and then blurs it along the gradient.

This results in highly reduced visible "jaggies" that also covers alpha-textures, but it also blurs everything, including textures.

SMAA - 2 modes and 4 quality presets (3 shader passes)

SMAA is an AA mode based on the Post-AA blur filter of MLAA (and FXAA). The alisasing "detection" is upgraded and is closer to the detection used in MSAA then the detection used in MLAA and FXAA.

The result is that SMAA smoothes alpha-textures and greatly reduces the visible "jaggies", but doesn't blur the image as much.

Most experts say SMAA results in less blurring, cleaner edges and overall improved image. But it requires more processing power... so not for everyone.

Here are 1080p comparison images...

They make a definitive positive difference to the look of the sim.

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Pattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Re: TFS 5.0 Anti Aliasing Announcement

Thank Pattle
    Definitely looks good in either AA option. For me the FXAA looks a bit better on soft shapes and shadows. SMAA a bit better on sharp contrasting edges.
    I guess this feature has no effect on the sky banding. That Reshade no-banding utility looks great and I am sure at that level of smoothness we would hear no complaints. Any chance that can be implemented without us having to install Reshade?

skud
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Jan-11-2020 at 00:29.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

3. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It looks....WOW
    Last edited by Ekko; Jan-11-2020 at 02:26.
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

5. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Excellent stuff!
    Putting Cliffs another step up!
    Plus we all love rounder roundy bits

7. Likes ATAG_Highseas, farley, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

What is the difference between the quality levels?
    For example what does an FXAA of 25 do more (or less?) than an FXAA of 12?
    Or in other words, should we simply pick the highest level? If not, how to know where to stop?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

9. Likes ATAG_TCP, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

It is easy for me personally with a PC minus-GPU, I just pick one and if the overall performance plumets I drop it down a notch :'))

I find generally that the difference between lesser and greater AA is very fine, good for fine tuning higher quality gaming experiance (i.e. higher graphics settings). That being said, with Cliffs I can still put aircraft models in pretty high stead without much performance loss, so it may be more benefitial with Cliffs all round!

Although I could be wrong, not really having a quality GPU means that my gaming experiences aren't quite as cultured as most, and therefore my overall suggestions in these areas are somewhat questionable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Graphics look great with Anti Aliasing,........but I don't use Anti Aliasing either in my nvidea settings or in game settings because i think it adversely affects my spotting ability. Have TFS checked if this FXAA or SMAA has any effect on spotting good or bad?