Thread: Zero point for aircraft (and other?) models?

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Zero point for aircraft (and other?) models?

Do we know where the zero point or 'origin' for aircraft models is?

Is it always at the tip of the nose, or at the center of gravity, or some other place, or does it vary from aircraft to aircraft?

I've been doing some work placing things near aircraft, and it seems that the center point varies from model to model?

And how about other objects, such as vehicles, buildings, artillery. Is there some standard origin point for each of these or does it just vary?

Is there any reasonable way to figure out what the origin point is for any given object?

Thanks!

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: Zero point for aircraft (and other?) models?

Based on further experimentation, the origin/zero point for aircraft models appears to be the place where the wings and fuselage join, so roughly the center of gravity. The center for trucks looks like around the center of gravity as well, though I haven't 100% confirmed either of these.

Anyone with better information, please chime in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Zero point for aircraft (and other?) models?

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Flug View Post
    Based on further experimentation, the origin/zero point for aircraft models appears to be the place where the wings and fuselage join, so roughly the center of gravity. The center for trucks looks like around the center of gravity as well, though I haven't 100% confirmed either of these.

Anyone with better information, please chime in!
    Yes, the starting point is based on the intersection of wing and fuselage... however, that point is adjusted depending on the specific aircraft.