Thread: Windows 10 Home vs Pro?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Windows 10 Home vs Pro?

Greetings and Happy New Year to all! I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade my Windows 7 Pro rig to Windows 10. When I built my system in 2014 I purchased an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro. It has been great. I didn't take advantage of the free upgrade a few years back. I did try to upgrade recently but unfortunately my OEM 7 key isn't being accepted. So I'm just going to purchase 10. I can't decide to spend the extra money for Pro. I'm sure Home would suffice in terms of RAM but I would like to have the group police editor. Your valued opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Re: Windows 10 Home vs Pro?

U are right in terms of gaming, Home is fine.
    But it's a one off expenditure and if u think u may have use of the additional functions of Pro then just splash the cash and don't have regrets.
    The price difference is what...a dinner at a nice restaurant ?
    Nike....just do it.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    Greetings and Happy New Year to all! I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade my Windows 7 Pro rig to Windows 10. When I built my system in 2014 I purchased an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro. It has been great. I didn't take advantage of the free upgrade a few years back. I did try to upgrade recently but unfortunately my OEM 7 key isn't being accepted. So I'm just going to purchase 10. I can't decide to spend the extra money for Pro. I'm sure Home would suffice in terms of RAM but I would like to have the group police editor. Your valued opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Hi Axe,

I had exactly the same issue (including not taking up the free upgrade a few years ago) and in the end was able to convince the bank manager that a new PC - that was tentatively scheduled for this year already - to replace my 2014 system would be the best way ahead for me. I'm still very interested in the Home v Pro issue so thanks for posting this - i'll be interested in the collective thoughts and what you end up deciding to do.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Hello guys,

difference between the Home and the Pro version are the features they offer,
    the Home version does not have the features like Bitlocker, Hyper-V nor Remote Desktop.

There is also a ram limit, which is 128 GB, are you going to upgrade higher than that?

I have seen keys very cheap on ebay, not more than 10€, thats like a McDonalds evening, being sold by sellers with a good rating.

You can find more about the extras on the Pro version here
    Last edited by Maru; Jan-18-2020 at 02:32.

5. Likes ATAG_Soldat, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

7. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

just recently up graded from a 2014 build to 10 home, took a bit to adjust to the changes in operating system , but now works great

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

9. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Highseas, it seems my OEM key is a system builders OEM. Bought it from New Egg. It did not come with a PC I purchased. Apparently there is more than one type of OEM key. Had I purchased a new PC with an OEM version installed I could still upgrade free. Of course I would like a free version but I will pay for a version. One That I can install on a new build in the future without issues.
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

11. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post