Thread: Question about Flight0 syntax in .mis files, Full Mission Builder

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Question about Flight0 syntax in .mis files, Full Mission Builder

So looking at .mis files generated by Full Mission Builder and included in various version of CloD, I see sections like this:

Code:
      Flight0 B N R
      Flight1 Q L S
      Flight2 U A O
    Sometimes it is more like this:

Code:
      Flight0  1 2 3 4 5
      Flight1 11 12 13 14 15
      Flight2 21 22 23 24 25 26
    Sometimes this:

Code:
      Flight0 1 2 3 4
      Flight1 5 6
    etc.

So, a few questions.

1. The number of characters seem to indicate how many aircraft in each flight. That is, Flight0 B N R indicates three aircraft in that flight. Is that correct? Are there any nuances to it?

2. It seems that Blue aircraft can have maximum 4 aircraft in a flight, while Red can have up to 6 in a flight?

3. Do the numbers indicate anything special? Like is Flight0 B N R Somehow different from Flight0 1 2 3 or Flight0 01 02 03?

4. Are there numbers or characters you should or shouldn't use?

5. Do the characters or numbers used show up in-game or on the aircraft somehow (ie, on the fuselage or whatever)

6. Does anyone know the maximum number of flights allowed in a given airgroup? (It looks like maybe 6 flights of 4 for Blue and 4 flights of 6 for Red? But I haven't experimented systematically.)

Thanks for answers or clues to any of the above!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Question about Flight0 syntax in .mis files, Full Mission Builder

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Flug View Post
    So looking at .mis files generated by Full Mission Builder and included in various version of CloD, I see sections like this:

Code:
      Flight0 B N R
      Flight1 Q L S
      Flight2 U A O
    Sometimes it is more like this:

Code:
      Flight0  1 2 3 4 5
      Flight1 11 12 13 14 15
      Flight2 21 22 23 24 25 26
    Sometimes this:

Code:
      Flight0 1 2 3 4
      Flight1 5 6
    etc.

So, a few questions.

1. The number of characters seem to indicate how many aircraft in each flight. That is, Flight0 B N R indicates three aircraft in that flight. Is that correct? Are there any nuances to it?

2. It seems that Blue aircraft can have maximum 4 aircraft in a flight, while Red can have up to 6 in a flight?

3. Do the numbers indicate anything special? Like is Flight0 B N R Somehow different from Flight0 1 2 3 or Flight0 01 02 03?

4. Are there numbers or characters you should or shouldn't use?

5. Do the characters or numbers used show up in-game or on the aircraft somehow (ie, on the fuselage or whatever)

6. Does anyone know the maximum number of flights allowed in a given airgroup? (It looks like maybe 6 flights of 4 for Blue and 4 flights of 6 for Red? But I haven't experimented systematically.)

Thanks for answers or clues to any of the above!

The letters/numbers specify the number of a/c within the flight. The ID of the air unit contains the number of flights in a "bit mask" ("name of the air unit"."bit mask with number of flights")

Maximum number of flights and maximum number of a/c in each flight depend on the air unit type.
    e.g. LW fighters have 3 flights of 4 a/c
    LW bombers have 3 flights of 3 a/c
    RAF fighters (early) 2* flights of 6 a/c
    RAF fighters (late) 3 flights of 4 a/c
    RAF bombers 2* flights of 6 a/c
    Italian fighter and bombers 3* flights of 3 a/c

Also there is a different squadron count for each category (e.g. LW Stab and RAF have only 1 squadron while LW fighters/bombers have 4 squadrons)

* not sure if these are the maximum numbers supported by the game, however these are the numbers that make sense from historical perspective. I have a list of all unit types with the number of squadron, flights and aircraft per flight that I use in IL2DCE: https://github.com/il2dce/il2dce/blo...irGroupInfo.cs

The number/letter is displayed on the fuselage. It doesn't really matter if you enter a number or a letter as the air unit type defines if a latter or number is displayed in-game (RAF = letter, LW fighter = number, LW bomber = letter). If you enter a number it is translated to a letter or reverse ( A = 1, B = 2 ... or 1 = A, B = 2, ...). IIRC for LW units you can also enter some fency symbols ("<", "<O") to mimic Stab a/c, I think there's a table in the original user manual that lists the allowed symbols.

In the mission generation of IL2DCE I always simply use a integer number starting from 1 and increase the number by 1 for every a/c in the air unit. No special handling for 2nd or 3rd flight or translation to letters and didn't have any problems with that so far. If the number is higher than there are letters in the alphabet it simply starts again from "A".

3. Likes TWC_Flug liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: Question about Flight0 syntax in .mis files, Full Mission Builder

Quote Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
    The letters/numbers specify the number of a/c within the flight. The ID of the air unit contains the number of flights in a "bit mask" ("name of the air unit"."bit mask with number of flights")
    Aha, thank you. That was all very helpful. I've been wondering for a long time about a lot of that stuff, and now I know!
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Feb-15-2020 at 16:07.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick