Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

  1. #1
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Hi everyone,

    The Win7 to Win10 'free' upgrade didnt work for me and i dont have time to try and make it work. So I've brought fwd plans to buy a new PC.

    With the help on my IT savvy 16 yr old son I've put together the following spec for a new PC (less some stuff i'll be reusing from my existing PC like the monitor) that will be primarily used to play COD. And do boring stuff like paying bills and online banking etc <yawn>

    new_pc_spec.JPG

    Be interested in any thoughts / comments etc.

    I've tried to strike a balance between performance and cost but if i can get significantly better performance for a few $$ more here and there then I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do so. In particular I found the GPU options very confusing in terms of trying to balance cost v performance.

    Be very appreciate if anyone sees any show stopper issues that would prevent me playing COD at max settings with this PC

    Thanks

    Ezzie

    PS Cost is in $AUS in case you are wondering...

  2. #2
    Manual Creation Group Maru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    English Channel
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    178.15 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    If you want a cheaper version with better performance I would go AMD, Ryzen CPUs are very cost-effective in both long and short term and they offer better value, but the build you got there is pretty good if you have no budget limitations.

    D0B02BE0-478F-421F-9F10-6413FAE5F97B.jpeg

    66F43B6B-943E-4295-81BC-E274889E0C14.jpeg


    Pretty much the same with GPUs and I have used them both.


    That Windows 10 key can be purchased way more cheaper, have you looked on Ebay?

  3. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
  4. #3
    TF Leadership RAF74_Buzzsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    306.59 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Looks pretty good Ezzie... make sure you install the game on the SSD if you want max performance.

    Your SSD is a little small... I know that these are expensive... but if you can afford 500 gb, you will find it easier to fit the various programs you want to run optimally on that drive.

  5. Likes Rostic, ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  6. #4
    TF Leadership RAF74_Buzzsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    306.59 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Looks pretty good Ezzie... make sure you install the game on the SSD if you want max performance.

    Your SSD is a little small... I know that these are expensive... but if you can afford 500 gb, you will find it easier to fit the various programs you want to run optimally on that drive.

    I'd also go for 2 TB non solid state drive... they are cheap... not much difference in cost between 1 TB and 2.

  7. Likes Rostic, ATAG_Ezzie, Baffin, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  8. #5
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Honestly it's overkill on some things, as in if you're truly playing Cliffs and paying bills it's a bit much.

    What resolution are you playing at? Are you planning on overclocking? (If not save some money and skip the "K" variant CPUs as you won't use it). I'd save some $$$ here and there and go for a 500GB main SSD, and get a 1 (or 2)TB SSD for games. Skip the old optical drive nowadays.

    Personal opinion disclaimer, but unless you're doing some really demanding stuff, 4K gaming, whatever, you aren't going to notice a difference between an i7 and i5. You won't even use 32gb of memory (at least not anytime soon). A 2070 Super is useful for 4K or 1440p high end gaming (and I'm not talking about Cliffs of Dover here) and a total waste of money at 1080p. I mean, if you want to spend it go for it. I just think you could do really well with some better performance to value components.

  9. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  10. #6
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    Honestly it's overkill on some things, as in if you're truly playing Cliffs and paying bills it's a bit much.

    What resolution are you playing at? Are you planning on overclocking? (If not save some money and skip the "K" variant CPUs as you won't use it). I'd save some $$$ here and there and go for a 500GB main SSD, and get a 1 (or 2)TB SSD for games. Skip the old optical drive nowadays.

    Personal opinion disclaimer, but unless you're doing some really demanding stuff, 4K gaming, whatever, you aren't going to notice a difference between an i7 and i5. You won't even use 32gb of memory (at least not anytime soon). A 2070 Super is useful for 4K or 1440p high end gaming (and I'm not talking about Cliffs of Dover here) and a total waste of money at 1080p. I mean, if you want to spend it go for it. I just think you could do really well with some better performance to value components.

    Thanks FS - good advice.

    Re resolution - im currently using a 1920 x 1200 / 60 Hz and will be using this monitor on my new PC, at least for a year or 2. But down track i would like to increase the resolution and refresh rate.

    I wont be overclocking so thanks re the K.

    Re 32gb - i guess i was thinking of the future as well re 32. I might investigate this further.

    Thanks

    Ezzie

  11. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  12. #7
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    If you want a cheaper version with better performance I would go AMD, Ryzen CPUs are very cost-effective in both long and short term and they offer better value, but the build you got there is pretty good if you have no budget limitations.

    D0B02BE0-478F-421F-9F10-6413FAE5F97B.jpeg

    66F43B6B-943E-4295-81BC-E274889E0C14.jpeg


    Pretty much the same with GPUs and I have used them both.


    That Windows 10 key can be purchased way more cheaper, have you looked on Ebay?

    Thanks Maru - will think some more about your thoughts.

    Ezzie

  13. #8
    Supporting Member JG4_Karaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    105.53 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Regarding SSDs: Back in early 2018 when I bought a new PC I went for a WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB M.2 SSD, which at heart is still a SATA SSD brought into the M.2 format. On paper it's a good bit slower than the more expensive NVME SSDs but for gaming there's little to choose between SATA and NVME. It's only when you're writing large amounts of data that the NVME SSDs start running away in terms of speed.

    See this comparison here for example (Starting a game, loading a savegame), in German though:
    https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/m2-s...57,seite3.html

    So for the same money that you're spending on that 250GB NVME SSD you could be getting a TB SATA SSD. Just food for thought

  14. Likes Rostic, ATAG_Snapper, Baffin, farley liked this post
  15. #9
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Noofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Zulu +2
    Posts
    1,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    810.37 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    If cash is not a problem try this
    Setup 1:
    Lenovo 10NK000TEX | i7 7700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    T16000M FCS HOTAS | CH_PRO Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

    Setup 2:
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

  16. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
  17. #10
    ATAG Member ATAG_Knuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    just upgraded mine a couple months ago to pretty much what you are showing. the thing that made a big difference was the SSD drives. I use one for operating and a separate for flight sim. load in time is now just seconds


    Asus Z390 MB, 8 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 2700K (2) GeForce GTX 960 1280MB SLI and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

  18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  19. #11
    Supporting Member Nightdare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Neverlands
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Hi everyone,

    new_pc_spec.JPG


    Be interested in any thoughts / comments etc.

    I've tried to strike a balance between performance and cost but if i can get significantly better performance for a few $$ more here and there then I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do so. In particular I found the GPU options very confusing in terms of trying to balance cost v performance.
    Well, for starters, I certainly wouldn't pay $100AUD for a cooler, I'd get something like the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO, and bolt an extra fan to it for another $10

    On one note: the 370 class CPU's, MB's are succeeded already, to future proof, you might wanna go for 390
    and if you're not OCing, you don't need a Z-specced board

    If I was brand-specific
    I'd take an I5 over an I7
    I'd also sooner would opt for a 2060S over a 2070S (that's at least 100 in whatever currency saved with minimal performance loss, but I consider the RTX cards too expensive anyway)

    As for RAM, you could do with 1 stick of 16gb and get another later

    Any money I would have saved would've gone into an extra SSD for programs and leave the 250gb for OS

    The "Bang for buck" discussion concerning brands is a tricky one
    Je Maintiendrai

    PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k / MSI Z370 PC Pro / Corsair BX 2x16Gb / Kingston A400, 120 GB SSD / Corsair CT120 M500 SSD / Gygabite GTX1660 Super OC 6G / Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

  20. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  21. #12
    Supporting Member Baffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northwestern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    IMO, never say you won't overclock! Always opt for a "K" INTEL Processor. Overclocking both Processor and VGA is the single greatest performance gain available in CLoD gaming. Overclocking is now safe, reliable, and mostly automatic through BIOS options.

    For a big VGA card, buy a big case. Carefully consider the length of the card and the space in the case. I feel that the bigger case allows for more cooling options (more fans) as well as allowing for uncramped cable routing. It's simply easier to work inside a big case and as a minimum, select a FULL tower. CoolerMaster makes some good ones.

    The 750 Watt power supply is adequate, but if you foresee any future power load increases (SLI, extra cooling, etc.), then a 1000 Watt PS can provide some peace of mind. It seems that the Gold standard can save $, over the Platinum level.

    I've used a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 with an extra fan for the TCUII cooling specification (Found in the ASUS BIOS). This BIOS spec is supposed to require water cooling, but I have used this inexpensive, 100% air setup on my last two computers with no heat issues on my overclocked processors. $35. ($45 with the extra fan!)
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2cc7129fad8c2b

    M.2 memory is very convenient and reliable, but it costs a lot. I'm very pleased with mine. Whether SATA or M.2, upgrade to 1 TB and you can install everything except large numbers of DVD movies in one place for most home computers.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-30-2020 at 14:47. Reason: Win 10 OEM recomendation deleted
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 (LGA 2066 R4), Intel Core i7 7800X, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooler, 32.0GB RAM@1386MHz (16-17-17-36), LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, 2-way SLI using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti's (MSI), 2x Samsung M.2 SSD 970/960 EVO 1TB, Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds for Discord/TeamSpeak3, ASUS Blu-Ray BW-12B1ST, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek X-52 (Trim & Gear), Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, Voice Activated Controls. Overclock CPU: 4.5 GHz, using BIOS features. Overclock GPU: +62/+350 (MSI Afterburner). Air Cooling (GPU:<70°/CPU:<80°). Using NVIDIA color settings: Highest-8bpc/YCbCr444-Limited.

  22. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Silent135 liked this post
  23. #13
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.90 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Why add a WiFi controller?

    That motherboard surely has a LAN adapter on it? (Haven't checked though...)
    Happy Member of the DangerDogz ...

  24. Likes Rostic liked this post
  25. #14
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Hi everyone,

    The Win7 to Win10 'free' upgrade didnt work for me and i dont have time to try and make it work. So I've brought fwd plans to buy a new PC.

    With the help on my IT savvy 16 yr old son I've put together the following spec for a new PC (less some stuff i'll be reusing from my existing PC like the monitor) that will be primarily used to play COD. And do boring stuff like paying bills and online banking etc <yawn>

    new_pc_spec.JPG

    Be interested in any thoughts / comments etc.

    I've tried to strike a balance between performance and cost but if i can get significantly better performance for a few $$ more here and there then I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do so. In particular I found the GPU options very confusing in terms of trying to balance cost v performance.

    Be very appreciate if anyone sees any show stopper issues that would prevent me playing COD at max settings with this PC

    Thanks

    Ezzie

    PS Cost is in $AUS in case you are wondering...
    Ezzie I see you are in one of her majesty's penal colonies, The prices have been adjusted to reflect this.

    AMD 3700X 2 more cores 4 more threads and is $30 cheaper.



    2x8GB of ddr4 3600, 3600 is the sweet spot for AMD.



    Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...70-PLUS-WI-FI/


    Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct1000p1ssd8

    MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card, $150 cheaper with comparable performance.



    Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case



    SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. Seasonic is about the best PSU on the market.
    https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold

    LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor.


    $2500 ausie.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YxP84n
    “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

    Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

  26. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, farley liked this post
  27. #15
    Supporting Member BOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    A little fodder for thought about future proofing....

    High refresh rates and higher res monitors will raise the old vsync floor. What runs well at 60hz at 1080p with some nice headroom may die the death of a thousand cuts at 120hz. Theres always freesync/gsync of couse but that can be buggy as well and you are currently limited on monitor size even if your pockets are as deep a Highseas's mind. So having the grunt to run in old skool may likely be a good fallback position especially if you like bigger/multi screens and/or are considering VR in future. I know you said 2 years but that can come round quick and TBH at the prices PC parts costs now, most of us are a long way past being able to afford a new build every 24 month.

    As Baffin I would always look for a K or equvalent in an intel. The OC on my old 6600K is currently the saving grace of my geriatric rig. Like Baffin Ive also used the 212 Evo forever and even at 4.6ghz it keeps things in check....that said I wager Lincolnshire at this time of year is a tad colder than HMP Oz but im assuming you have AC. The Evo is ugly as sin but cheapish and it works. There are better air coolers now though if you were starting from scratch like the Noctura but its a heafty price. All that said Rizen is becoming more and more mainstream in gaming and comes with a perfectly servicable cooler if you aint doing daft things with it. My own impending upgrade is likely to be AMD based.

    All the rumour talk is that the next gen nvidia cards may launch this year to. The usual twice the speed/half the price crap is being talked but May might bring some firmer news if you are not in a rush.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo, I5 6600K @ 4.4Ghz on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X, 16B Vengeance DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz, Couple of meh SSDs, Corsair 550W CX PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.


    " Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

  28. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
  29. #16
    ATAG Member ATAG_Highseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Peurto del Slade, UK
    Posts
    5,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    even if your pockets are as deep a Highseas's mind.
    Full of wine gums.


    - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E - i7-8700k - ASUS RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC GAMING - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz -
    - CORSAIR 850W RMx Series PSU - Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler -
    - Virpil T50 Mongoos with Warthog Grip plus Extension Set -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -
    - HighseasPeripherals(tm) - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

    (Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey)

  30. #17
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Thanks everyone - some great advice and food for thought.

    Ill spend some time this weekend having a further look.

    Thanks

    Ezzie

  31. #18
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    If cash is not a problem try this
    LOL - i could get to mars using that system...

  32. #19
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    A little fodder for thought about future proofing....

    High refresh rates and higher res monitors will raise the old vsync floor. What runs well at 60hz at 1080p with some nice headroom may die the death of a thousand cuts at 120hz. Theres always freesync/gsync of couse but that can be buggy as well and you are currently limited on monitor size even if your pockets are as deep a Highseas's mind. So having the grunt to run in old skool may likely be a good fallback position especially if you like bigger/multi screens and/or are considering VR in future. I know you said 2 years but that can come round quick and TBH at the prices PC parts costs now, most of us are a long way past being able to afford a new build every 24 month.

    As Baffin I would always look for a K or equvalent in an intel. The OC on my old 6600K is currently the saving grace of my geriatric rig. Like Baffin Ive also used the 212 Evo forever and even at 4.6ghz it keeps things in check....that said I wager Lincolnshire at this time of year is a tad colder than HMP Oz but im assuming you have AC. The Evo is ugly as sin but cheapish and it works. There are better air coolers now though if you were starting from scratch like the Noctura but its a heafty price. All that said Rizen is becoming more and more mainstream in gaming and comes with a perfectly servicable cooler if you aint doing daft things with it. My own impending upgrade is likely to be AMD based.

    All the rumour talk is that the next gen nvidia cards may launch this year to. The usual twice the speed/half the price crap is being talked but May might bring some firmer news if you are not in a rush.
    Thanks Highseas - some good advice

    re aircon - believe it or not I only have ceiling fans in my room where my PC is - its an old house. In summer the temps do get up to ~ 35C in the room and I have the fans on max speed. My current liquid cooled system works OK at these temps but will look into this to make sure i have enough cooling in the new PC.

  33. #20
    Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    orange county, california
    Posts
    1,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    skip the tower, just get a MB CPU, cpu cooler, RAM SSD HDD and the GPU...maybe a PSU depending on the final need of power.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

  34. #21
    Supporting Member BOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Thanks Highseas - some good advice

    re aircon - believe it or not I only have ceiling fans in my room where my PC is - its an old house. In summer the temps do get up to ~ 35C in the room and I have the fans on max speed. My current liquid cooled system works OK at these temps but will look into this to make sure i have enough cooling in the new PC.
    HIGHSEAS!!!????

    If only i had those David Essex good looks!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo, I5 6600K @ 4.4Ghz on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X, 16B Vengeance DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz, Couple of meh SSDs, Corsair 550W CX PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.


    " Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

  35. #22
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    HIGHSEAS!!!????

    If only i had those David Essex good looks!
    Sorry Boo - all you english blokes look the same....

  36. Likes BOO liked this post
  37. #23
    Supporting Member BOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Sorry Boo - all you english blokes look the same....
    yes i imagine we do from so far away
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo, I5 6600K @ 4.4Ghz on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X, 16B Vengeance DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz, Couple of meh SSDs, Corsair 550W CX PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.


    " Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

  38. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
  39. #24
    ATAG Member ATAG_Torian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    105.14 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post

    So all up about $2630.
    It's a good rig and the only change I would make as has been alluded to is replace the 250GB NVME with a 1T one and ditch the 7200rpm SATA HDD for a 1T SSD.
    At some point u may want to try DCS (130GB and rising) and one of the many FPShooters on offer (another 100GB) and u will regret not having the space on ur NVME or at the very least an SSD 2ndary HDD to load them from. About $226 more for the 2 drives but worth it IMO. U will find u will fill the 250GB drive up quickly and as with any HDD u need to keep 10-15% free space (25GB) to let Windows and other apps move stuff around when needed.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

    Gaming PC: Asus Rampage III Gene mobo, i7 960 3.2Ghz cpu (running at 3.8Ghz), Noctua dual HS & fan cpu cooler, 24GB Kingston 1600mhz triple channel ram, Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Corsair 750w psu, EVGA GTX 1070 6GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

  40. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  41. #25
    Supporting Member Baffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northwestern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    New NVIDIA driver 442.19 installed 2/5/2020. Works well... no problems for me.

    Duplicate post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Baffin; Feb-05-2020 at 10:18.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 (LGA 2066 R4), Intel Core i7 7800X, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooler, 32.0GB RAM@1386MHz (16-17-17-36), LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, 2-way SLI using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti's (MSI), 2x Samsung M.2 SSD 970/960 EVO 1TB, Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds for Discord/TeamSpeak3, ASUS Blu-Ray BW-12B1ST, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek X-52 (Trim & Gear), Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, Voice Activated Controls. Overclock CPU: 4.5 GHz, using BIOS features. Overclock GPU: +62/+350 (MSI Afterburner). Air Cooling (GPU:<70°/CPU:<80°). Using NVIDIA color settings: Highest-8bpc/YCbCr444-Limited.

  42. #26
    ATAG Member ATAG_Torian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    105.14 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    And don't forget a good thermal paste for the cpu-heatsink interface. Noctua NT-H2 for eg
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

    Gaming PC: Asus Rampage III Gene mobo, i7 960 3.2Ghz cpu (running at 3.8Ghz), Noctua dual HS & fan cpu cooler, 24GB Kingston 1600mhz triple channel ram, Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Corsair 750w psu, EVGA GTX 1070 6GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

  43. #27
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    555.18 MB

    Re: Spec for new PC to play COD primarily - good/bad/otherwise?

    Ezzie, Here's another good aussie site for hardware to compare parts/prices. https://www.pccasegear.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •