Thread: Moving Game from Hard Drive to SSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Moving Game from Hard Drive to SSD

Reading recent threads has again got me interested in transferring my game from the hard drive to the SSD. I have been putting this off for 2 years because I don't know what to expect after it is done. So I am asking for advise, what precautions should I take to save important settings and files like Skins?

My game has been stable as a rock, works fine etc. I am doing this to gain a little speed in loading and operation (I hope).

I am going to go to Steam, remove the game and reinstall on the SSD. Any comments on that approach?
    Found this thread here on how to set up the move.. https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...nstalling+game

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Re: Moving Game from Hard Drive to SSD

I think you will enjoy the results.. just save all your .ini files in another place. This will insure your setting will be saved. I would also think about moving your OS over as well on a separate one in the future. Your computer will boot amazingly quick. As for now tho moving CLOD over will work great.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Jan-27-2020 at 12:08.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

3. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have done this multiple times and never had a problem.

1. Download and install "Macrium Reflect Free edition" https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

2. Physically install your new SSD (It must be at least as large as your existing drive), restart the machine, and make sure Windows recognizes it. It will have a new Letter "D:" or something like that. You may want to format it but don't worry about partitions. Macrium does all that.

CLONE YOUR EXISTING DRIVE

3. Start Macrium Reflect. It should default to the "Create a Backup" tab, showing your existing Hard drive's partitions at the top in a series of blue boxes. Beneath this, is the new SSD Drive's partitions blue boxes. (Probably empty)

4. Click on the "Clone this disk..." link under your system partitions.

5. Click on the "Select a disk to clone to..." link.

6. Select your new SSD by clicking on the blue box. Look for the tiny label for "SSD" somewhere in there.

7. Click on the "Delete Existing partition" link. This affects only the new drive, not your original.

8. Respond logically to the following messages until the cloning procedure starts. (I can't list them here for you, or I'll clone my 2nd drive as I write this.) This takes up to a couple of hours, depending on how much data is on the original drive.

9. When finished, shut down the machine.

10. Physically remove your original, unchanged (Only copied to your SSD) data drive.

11. Start the machine, take a breath, and before you can exhale, you can log on to Windows! (Almost)

12. Rename your new SSD's C:\ name to whatever you like.

12. Wait a few weeks or so until you're convinced that everything works. Then, you may re-install the original drive and re-name it as a backup, or re-format it as a data drive with the letter of your choice. You may also store it offsite in your garage, car, etc. as an emergency backup in case your computer is stolen or destroyed. I clone my SSD about once a month back to the hard disk and store it in the garage in a plain, brown wrapper in case of disaster. Windows will start in any new machine with the customary warning from Microsoft that it needs activation since your hardware has changed.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-27-2020 at 12:48.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

THANK YOU Ribbs and Baffin.

Baffin, a question. The SSD has been attached to my PC for about 3 years. I used it to keep backup files from email as I have a small (very small) in home business. I changed email programs sometime back and as far as I can determine the auto backup process has not been working since that time. What I think I want to do is only put COD and associated files on the SSD and leave the harddrive as is. I did check and the hard drive and the SSD are both 1 TB devices. The hard drive is 3/4 full, the SSD right now is 1/3 full, but all of files on it now are coming off. Does my plan make sense?

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Makes no sense to me... Either clone your entire system to the SSD, in which case all your emails will be there, or leave it alone. If the backups are no longer available from the SSD, there should be no data loss from cloning.

If the SSD now holds data you want to keep, copy those data folders to the hard drive into a new folder such as [C:\OldData] or whatever you choose. Then clone the entire hard drive onto the SSD and use the hard drive as a backup, or reconfigure it however you like. Either technique will preserve your data.

I can't see the point of installing CLoD onto a 1 TB drive by itself.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-27-2020 at 15:27.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Makes no sense to me... Either clone your entire system to the SSD, in which case all your emails will be there, or leave it alone. If the backups are no longer available from the SSD, there should be no data loss from cloning.

If the SSD now holds data you want to keep, copy those data folders to the hard drive into a new folder such as [C:\OldData] or whatever you choose. Then clone the entire hard drive onto the SSD and use the hard drive as a backup, or reconfigure it however you like. Either technique will preserve your data.

I can't see the point of installing CLoD onto a 1 TB drive by itself.

OK, that tells me a lot. I will do as you suggest. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    I have done this multiple times and never had a problem.

1. Download and install "Macrium Reflect Free edition" https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

2. Physically install your new SSD (It must be at least as large as your existing drive), restart the machine, and make sure Windows recognizes it. It will have a new Letter "D:" or something like that. You may want to format it but don't worry about partitions. Macrium does all that.

CLONE YOUR EXISTING DRIVE

3. Start Macrium Reflect. It should default to the "Create a Backup" tab, showing your existing Hard drive's partitions at the top in a series of blue boxes. Beneath this, is the new SSD Drive's partitions blue boxes. (Probably empty)

4. Click on the "Clone this disk..." link under your system partitions.

5. Click on the "Select a disk to clone to..." link.

6. Select your new SSD by clicking on the blue box. Look for the tiny label for "SSD" somewhere in there.

7. Click on the "Delete Existing partition" link. This affects only the new drive, not your original.

8. Respond logically to the following messages until the cloning procedure starts. (I can't list them here for you, or I'll clone my 2nd drive as I write this.) This takes up to a couple of hours, depending on how much data is on the original drive.

9. When finished, shut down the machine.

10. Physically remove your original, unchanged (Only copied to your SSD) data drive.

11. Start the machine, take a breath, and before you can exhale, you can log on to Windows! (Almost)

12. Rename your new SSD's C:\ name to whatever you like.

12. Wait a few weeks or so until you're convinced that everything works. Then, you may re-install the original drive and re-name it as a backup, or re-format it as a data drive with the letter of your choice. You may also store it offsite in your garage, car, etc. as an emergency backup in case your computer is stolen or destroyed. I clone my SSD about once a month back to the hard disk and store it in the garage in a plain, brown wrapper in case of disaster. Windows will start in any new machine with the customary warning from Microsoft that it needs activation since your hardware has changed.

I do this a lot. and it was Baffin who first pointed me at Macrium Rflect

brilliant method of backing up your pc / swapping drives.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey