Thread: DCS Channel Map (WiP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

DCS Channel Map (WiP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: DCS Channel Map (WiP)

some of the latest screenshots just look wow.

I'll be buying both.

Mosquito should be after the Jug and then I think I can die happy knowing I've flown a Spitfire and Mossie along that white cliff at dawn and dusk, it's almost enough to bring a tear to the eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Will there be a Spit I/II and early 109's available for this scenario? I really hope there will!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    Will there be a Spit I/II and early 109's available for this scenario? I really hope there will!
    No
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

oh... damn

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    You know, there is already a sim that has those.
    And there they also have Ramsgate airfield on their map ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

So with the new Channel map and P47 my Eagle Dynamics folder is now just over 190GB. The Terabyte M2 drive was a great investment.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

just updating it myself now.

No idea when i will get to fly it mind. in fact i dint recall when i last flew DCS... was a Huey i think

cant really take that to Ramsgate in the 40's...

I did fly a few nights back... briefly... but mostly I'm flat out keeping the wings on the business...

amazingly so far so good !!

Could do with a slow parachute ride though !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    No
    Hi Torian,
    Certainly not at this time but I saw a post from Kate indicating future earlier variants.

Don't bet the farm on it though!

Cheers
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

11. Likes ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    just updating it myself now.

No idea when i will get to fly it mind. in fact i dint recall when i last flew DCS... was a Huey i think

cant really take that to Ramsgate in the 40's...

I did fly a few nights back... briefly... but mostly I'm flat out keeping the wings on the business...

amazingly so far so good !!

Could do with a slow parachute ride though !!
    The Highseas tour won't really be the same, Dover Castle appears the only landmark that is included apart from the radar stations and the airfields that are very well done.

It's still WIP though so lets hope they fill in the blanks.

The cliffs look great though, along with the shoreline transition and water shallows. The sea breaks also make a nice touch. You just want to swim out a bit and jump off them. Living by the sea it's odd what gets you a little excited in a flying game. If you have VR i'm sure it will make you very happy indeed.
    Last edited by No.119_Bruv; Jun-11-2020 at 09:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Bruv View Post
    If you have VR i'm sure it will make you very happy indeed.
    I do as it goes.

I really must jump into this and take a spin along the coast.

Edit:

just installing it now. Only works in the open beta at present...

Will go for a spin when it's in and let you know what it's like.

EDIT

Very demanding on the system.

wonderful expereince... but for me... pleasure flights. Its very good though...

Flew from Ramsgate down to Newhaven, beyond which the map is not currently not populated with anything.

need to bind my controls again which i find a massive masive headache in DCS. It makes Cliffs look like a walk in the park !!

Can't really be bothered right now.

when i do though i will go the other way around and see what is to the norht... then check out France.

looks like plenty of joy to be had there.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jun-11-2020 at 13:37.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

15. Likes danperin liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Never in the field of human PC conflict has so much performance been lost to so many by so few items of drying washing...
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

18. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

So even after watching Suntsag i caved in and bought the damn map.

Its ok. Looks a lot better than any other dcs green map. On my 6600K/1080/32GB/DDR4 3000 rig it runs ok for sightseeing in 2D at 1080P but worse than Normandy. Its a largly flat map so you can better get away with flat terrain shadows without risk them hanging in the air off mountains, saving ....oooo.... a gazillion fps in DCS (Dont Cast Shadows). Speaking of shadows they do appear to be better behaved in this map than the other green ones for some reason. A better CPU would likely benefit me these days at my jurrassic park resolution so i cant knock a map for battering a 5 year old processor really. It behaves differently to full screen to and i find i have to force it into FS whereas the other maps click into it instantly.

As a Northener, the lack of London seems fair and the air and beer is certainly better for it but the map misses even a tolken nod to the Kentish Oasthouses. Very few windmills though which is pleasing although these seem to have been replaced by odd looking cylinders atop of rasied platforms. Go figure. Cars drive on the right and it has the seeds of a nuclear power station to make up for several missing airfields so thats all good for dear ole blightly in 1943.

In France, Dunkirk is very tolkenistic in its sea frontage. The harbour and locks certainly seem to have recovered well in the 3 years since the brits were last there and local parks dept have done a super job of cleaning up the beaches (and levelling the entire iconic sea front building line TBH, seemingly landscaping the area and replacing it with trees that grow faster than they do in minecraft). In fact the Dresden like rise from the ashes is so complete you wouldnt think there was a war on or ever had been a war on.. .

Being brutal, away from the docks layout, Dunkirk looks F all like it did during the period. And by F all i mean they may as well have put igloos and wigwams there. Its almost insulting. For that matter no coastal area looks like it did in the period and the Blue flag summer season beaches of the map are something of a letdown. The deckchairs from the PG map would not look out of place. The Shire reborn.

As an "impression" of a 1940s england and france (in an alternate reality where WW2 didnt happen) its ok i guess. In fact its very good with lots of great details like fuel stained parking areas and lots of clutter. But historically there is plenty to pick holes in on every inch of it if your pushing mud so to speak. And there is the problem. Its not tremendously accurate and its not really grounded in any period. In turns its detail and layout represent the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s whilst almost totally ignoring the very reason it exists - the war.

Hopefully ED will optimise it further in the near furture without hacking it graphically but it will never be historically great.
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-13-2020 at 19:51.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post

As a Northener, the lack of London seems fair and the air and beer is certainly better for it but the map misses even a tolken nod to the Kentish Oasthouses. Very few windmills though which is pleasing although these seem to have been replaced by odd looking cylinders atop of rasied platforms. Go figure. Cars drive on the right and it has the seeds of a nuclear power station to make up for several missing airfields so thats all good for dear ole blightly in 1943.
    I know it hasn't got any Martello towers along the coast - which is a bit strange - but has it got the Dymchurch light railway and Derek Jarman's garden?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    I know it hasn't got any Martello towers along the coast - which is a bit strange - but has it got the Dymchurch light railway and Derek Jarman's garden?
    I dont think Jarman moved there until the 70s or 80s, so given its a WW2 period specific DCS map................

...........there is a very good chance it'll be included later if its not there already along with a comprehensive update including historically accurate Aldi and Liddle supermarkets.
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-14-2020 at 10:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

" Aldi and Liddle supermarkets"

Both of them German owned ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

It also appears in the alternate reality that religion never existed either. The only church ive found is at dover castle and Canterbury (yknow as in Canterbury Cathedral) is godless. Which is odd given how just a couple of years ago the Russians were seemingly going bonkers for our Cathedrals....

Its so annoying - the map is 95% great but as soon as you really start to think about...............anything...........it smacks you around the back of the head.

Bridges that block canals, no churches, no hops fields, no apple orchards, no piers, no martellos, no beach defences...

...just these bloody things....

Screen_200614_223642.jpg

...everywhere

24. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Screen_200614_223642.jpg

...everywhere
    Why would you put liquid storage tanks on a platform?????

-1 gallon of water weighs 8.345 pounds
    -1 gallon of common fuel (such as gasoline) is 6 pounds
    -1 gallon of 200 proof food grade ethanol (i.e. real good whiskey) weighs just under 7 pounds
    -1 gallon of wine weighs 9 pounds or more

Lets say each of the small tanks are 8' in diameter and 12' tall, they can store approximately 5000 gallons each: that's 30,000 lbs each, with a combined weight of approximately 120,000 lbs. The taller tank is about 1/3 higher which means it would have a storage capacity of approximately 6700 gallons equaling 40,200 lbs. That's a combined total of over 160,000 lbs .... on a platform? Really?

Of course if its aviation fuel I suppose it could be much lighter

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Padre View Post
    Why would you put liquid storage tanks on a platform?????

-1 gallon of water weighs 8.345 pounds
    -1 gallon of common fuel (such as gasoline) is 6 pounds
    -1 gallon of 200 proof food grade ethanol (i.e. real good whiskey) weighs just under 7 pounds
    -1 gallon of wine weighs 9 pounds or more

Lets say each of the small tanks are 8' in diameter and 12' tall, they can store approximately 5000 gallons each: that's 30,000 lbs each, with a combined weight of approximately 120,000 lbs. The taller tank is about 1/3 higher which means it would have a storage capacity of approximately 6700 gallons equaling 40,200 lbs. That's a combined total of over 160,000 lbs .... on a platform? Really?

Of course if its aviation fuel I suppose it could be much lighter
    Padre, I think you have too much free time on your hands, you should get a Hobby, flights sims are a good start.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

27. Likes DerDa, BOO, TWC_Padre, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Screen_200614_223642.jpg

...everywhere

And that isn't even CLOSE to how you draw a golf course

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

29. Likes danperin, BOO liked this post