Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

2020's

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: 2020's

Nice music
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Ekko View Post
    Nice music
    Personally I find using an anti violence protest song inspired by the killing of 2 young children in a terrorist attack to publicise a game that uses killing and violence as key dynamic something of an odd choice at best. Crass at worse.

I said as much in the ED forums before the the thread was locked using a stretch of the rules any dictatorship would be proud of .
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

4. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, No.401_Wolverine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Lots of mixed reviews on this sim.

Is it worth getting into?

6. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Before all, is very hardware demanding, ideally with 32 GB of RAM.

I feel very "dry".

8. Likes DRock, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

I feel very "dry".
    I have 16 GB of RAM, but upgrading isn't a problem if it's worth it.

GTX1060 3G
    Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.2GHz

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

I have fun, or I should say had fun with what I bought, I just don't fly anymore in general, too busy with other things.

Besides what lokos said above, it is rather expensive unless you get in during a crazy sale, but it still is expensive regardless. I have three modules and a couple maps and have a few hundred into it just like that.

Very nice eye candy, gratifying for offline solo stuff while really learning a plane.

Besides that though...

My specs are similar to yours, I have a 980ti and 24 gb ram, similar CPU, I can run things nicely at high-ish settings but again, that is if I'm flying around Las Vegas by myself.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Feb-10-2020 at 19:22.

11. Likes DRock, farley, Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus View Post
    I have fun, or I should say had fun with what I bought, I just don't fly anymore in general, too busy with other things.

Besides what lokos said above, it is rather expensive unless you get in during a crazy sale, but it still is expensive regardless. I have three modules and a couple maps and have a few hundred into it just like that.

Very nice eye candy, gratifying for offline solo stuff while really learning a plane.

Besides that though...

My specs are similar to yours, I have a 980ti and 24 gb ram, similar CPU, I can run things nicely at high-ish settings but again, that is if I'm flying around Las Vegas by myself.
    My last upgrade was an SSD, and wow what a difference. Loading time dramatically reduced. Everything moves faster.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    My last upgrade was an SSD, and wow what a difference. Loading time dramatically reduced. Everything moves faster.
    Yes absolutely, I'll never go back to an HDD boot drive. I use my old HDD 4TB drive to store all my TFS files which are rather big, but I don't see the load time issue when it comes to modeling and texturing. The games are all on the main SSD and it is night and day for sure.

What DCS has is pretty cool, if you have the machine to run it how it should be ran, the money for said machine and all the software they sell, but more importantly the time, then it is a good thing to add to your library. When I got the hang of the A-10 it was pretty awesome and rewarding, it really is basically the real deal. But I haven't sat in the A-10 for probably two years... I doubt I remember where the APU switch is now... I couldn't imagine trying to learn the 14, 18, and now 16 and trying to say proficient in any of them.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Feb-10-2020 at 21:06.

14. Likes DRock, Rostic, farley, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.11 MB

I highly recommend that you try it, it costs nothing. Download the program and try the included TF-51. It flys like the P-51, just doesn't have a rear fuselage tank or any armament. If you want, PM me and I'll walk you through set up and some flying in the 51.

As for the mixed reviews, that which works, works brilliantly, that which is still work in progress can be annoying. You are the best to judge it, so give it a try.
    Last edited by RCAF Rob; Feb-10-2020 at 22:31.

16. Likes Rostic, DRock, farley, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

I feel very "dry".
    I didn't believe it, but I looked it up. Sure enough, DCS supposedly can use 18+ gigs of RAM in multiplayer. That is ridiculous, as more extensive (and newer) AAA titles that came out in 2019 (Control, RDR2, etc.) can use up to 12gb on higher settings. You shouldn't need 32gb of RAM for any game at this point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...mory,6092.html

18. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

I gave it a try in autumn 2018. It was autumn sale with 50% discount. I bought P-51, Normandy map + ww2 assets and "Operation charnwood campaign".

All the money and time that I spent on it was worth it. No other game gave me such expirience, that I got than! It was superb!
    Single player campaigns is awesome! WW2 aircrafts are easy to learn. Few hours and you can operate it in any way.
    Waiting for new damage model this month, wich I hope boost multiplayer with WW2 environment.

Now I got A10C and Ka50 - all I need now is time to learn this modules. This modern birds much more complicated. Free time is real problem
    Last edited by Rostic; Feb-11-2020 at 02:30.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

20. Likes DRock, farley, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

i got it just for the huey which cost 50 bucks..u can get it at 25 if u wait for a sale. fully clickable cockpit which is cool, great sound also. huey graphics is amazing but i find the maps ( trees for example ) to be something from il2 1946. but there are newer maps for sale and they have announced a Marianas map ( prob for the corsairs and zero..in the future ). there were some nice vietnam mods which work well for the huey ( the trees got replaced with palm trees ) but i think they dont anymore with latest updates.

if u have time to fly..get it.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

22. Likes DRock, farley, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RCAF Rob View Post
    I highly recommend that you try it, it costs nothing. Download the program and try the included TF-51. It flys like the P-51, just doesn't have a rear fuselage tank or any armament. If you want, PM me and I'll walk you through set up and some flying in the 51.

As for the mixed reviews, that which works, works brilliantly, that which is still work in progress can be annoying. You are the best to judge it, so give it a try.
    I appreciate that, Sir.

First, I’ll upgrade my RAM this week. That way I can get a more accurate impression.

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

24. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

I appreciate that, Sir.

First, I’ll upgrade my RAM this week. That way I can get a more accurate impression.

I have 16 GB of RAM, but upgrading isn't a problem if it's worth it.

GTX1060 3G
    Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.2GHz

Actually your 16Gb should be enuogh for some time. Online I did not saw usage more than 14Gb.
    More problems could be with 3Gb in your video card. But even that should be enough for learning process and offline campaigns.

Did you tryed DCS world with free modules?
    I recommend you download game and try how it goes offline and online, and after that decide what you should upgrade in your PC.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb

26. Likes DRock, ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    I didn't believe it, but I looked it up. Sure enough, DCS supposedly can use 18+ gigs of RAM in multiplayer. That is ridiculous, as more extensive (and newer) AAA titles that came out in 2019 (Control, RDR2, etc.) can use up to 12gb on higher settings. You shouldn't need 32gb of RAM for any game at this point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...mory,6092.html
    Overall is the recommendation of DCS (usual) players when someone ask abou:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260916

Although this comparative test show mixed results:
    https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1566665433
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374&page=23

BTW - Tomshardware and similar hardware/games sites don't include Combat Flight Simulators in their game list, perhaps because the genre are no AAA.

28. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Just checked resources usage online on the aerobatic server with 40+ players online.

высок - high
    выкл - off
    нет - no

Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark Screenshot 2020.02.11 - 19.37.35.58.jpg Desktop Screenshot 2020.02.11 - 20.09.07.46.jpg

Next picture is ~30 minutes on DCS SoW server. Not many players, but full of AI.
    DC resources usage.PNG
    Last edited by Rostic; Feb-11-2020 at 15:22.

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Overall is the recommendation of DCS (usual) players when someone ask abou:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260916

Although this comparative test show mixed results:
    https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1566665433
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374&page=23

BTW - Tomshardware and similar hardware/games sites don't include Combat Flight Simulators in their game list, perhaps because the genre are no AAA.
    Whether AAA or not, that's not the problem. While flight sims can have a lot going on in them, they shouldn't be (greatly) exceeding the resource usage of large scale AAA titles with a lot more going on in their environments/AI at any given time, or exceeding other multiplayer games online that have more players, in-game objects, whatever. Keep in mind one of the DCS 18 gig RAM usage references I found was from someone playing online with 5 other players/aircraft at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

THe base steam game is free. I would highly suggest playing with that first.

THen if it is something you enjoy, and you have someone to teach you, you can get the modules dirt cheap on sale(9.99 to 4.99) though these will be just the plane, clickable cockpit and everything, just no ingame tutorial for learning startup/shutdown, flying etc. But hey, that is what friends[and youtube] are for.

Oh, and there is tons to learn, and lots of time to perfect...

Case in point
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIZD...PcYj_lrd4nU2nT
    Last edited by ATAG_Lord Wukits; Feb-11-2020 at 23:49.

32. Likes DRock, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

DCS has some very high quality aircraft, and the fully clickable pits are nice. The flight models are amazing and taking off/landing seems harder than most other sims as well. The damage model is quite poor right now due to it originally being made for missiles, so the WWII planes really suffer for damage modeling, but that is soon to be fixed with a new damage model apparently. If you do get the WWII aircraft, make sure to go into options and put take off assistance to 0 before you even start trying. From most peoples experience that actually makes the ground handling harder as you fight the assistance more than it helps.

The biggest caution I have about going into DCS is that you need to realize that they release everything into the beta environment, which means it is often full of bugs. Almost no servers run on the fully stable release, they all run beta. Individual aircraft can be "released" but not have advertised features and be full of bugs FOR YEARS before it hits the stable release, but even then game engine upgrades can add lots of bugs to modules. DCS is an amazing experience when it works right, but it is often a buggy mess and you need to be ready for that. Major plane systems can change or bug between patches. Newer planes often don't even have working IFF for the modern planes, which can make multiplayer... interesting.

That said, the WWII aircraft that they have out are in pretty good shape now, and with the new DM hopefully MP picks up a bit. Download the sim and try the free TF-51 to see if it's your kind of a sim.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

34. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits, Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I appreciate that, Sir.

There is alot of misinformation around regarding DCS. Hardware and how easy/hard it is to fly.

Make your own decisions by downloading it for free (get the standalone version direct from them and not the steam version) I prefer the developer to get all the reward rather than steam take a cut. Plus the open beta and modules get released quicker directly.

Hardware wise I built a system for a friend it has I57600, 16gb ram, 6gb 1060 and a bog standard SSD and it ran it fine on a single screen with headtracking. My rig isnt much better I5 7600K , 24gb ram, 8gb 1070, with DCS on m2 nvme SSD , got one especially for DCS load times. I will get a 1tb now I know how fantastic they are. Your 3gb card may choke a little!

If your an avid WW2 flyer which I know you are it is definitely worth checking out. Gorgeous cockpits/planes, lovely graphics, some of the morning raids just breathtaking.

In short it's the closest thing you'll get to being in a WW2 aircraft flying it, unless you go do it for real and very satisfying learning each module in great detail. Killing the enemy is just a bonus.

New DM (badly needed), a P47 and the channel map are due to be released shortly so no better time to get into it.

36. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits, DRock, Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Personally I find using an anti violence protest song inspired by the killing of 2 young children in a terrorist attack to publicise a game that uses killing and violence as key dynamic something of an odd choice at best. Crass at worse.

I said as much in the ED forums before the the thread was locked using a stretch of the rules any dictatorship would be proud of .
    Thank god we have “Enya” Boo
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Headshot View Post

That said, the WWII aircraft that they have out are in pretty good shape now, and with the new DM hopefully MP picks up a bit. Download the sim and try the free TF-51 to see if it's your kind of a sim.
    The new DM has not been released yet. It's desperately needed as the current system is exceedingly basic. On top of that the FM's for some if not all of the warbirds are in differing states of completion.

I only fly it because I was a 'Luthier-backer' waaaaay back when. DCS gave us 'suckers' 2 or 3 planes for what we paid.

Lastly, to add to what other have said about PC specs... I went from 16Gb of DDR3 and an HDD, a new setup with 32Gb of DDR4 and a M.2 NVMe and now i finally fee like I can play the damn thing smoothly. I would not recommend the former for running DCS lol
    Last edited by Biggs; Feb-13-2020 at 15:35.

39. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

I know you like a bit of ground pounding, so the SU25-T module that comes with the install should be right up your alley. It doesn't have a clickable cockpit but it is fun.

41. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits, DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Kulea View Post
    I know you like a bit of ground pounding, so the SU25-T module that comes with the install should be right up your alley. It doesn't have a clickable cockpit but it is fun.
    DCS looks incredible. Definitely worth upgrading your computer if you are into those aircraft. DCS WWII looks promising, and that is what I'd enjoy the most.

I've moved to the Great Battle series for now. The ground pounding is pretty amazing, not to mention the rocket strikes. Being a newb again is interesting, but a lot of skills from CoD are carried over to other sims.

Thanks for the tips and info, Guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

When the environment looks this good and they are updating the Normandy and WWII assets.....and you can play in VR...yes, very much worth it:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=30517
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"