Thread: Panel Finder ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.12 GB

Panel Finder ?

Can any one advise as to what i am looking at when using "Panel finder "

How does using these Panel_Finder_2048x2048.jpg unnamed.jpg

Here ------------> shot_20200208_005207.jpg shot_20200208_005856.jpg shot_20200210_175049.gif shot_20200210_175121.gif

help when looking at these CTS_109E_5819_Galland_JG26.jpg A1+BH of I.KG53 1940.jpg

Does any one know of tutorial where panel finder is being used

thanks
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14495&dateline=153818  5177

2. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Panel Finder ?

The colored templates have reference numbers all over them.
    When you paint a plane with them, just zoom in while in game and read the number(s) on the part(s) you want to identify.
    Then you go back to your template, locate the numbers you saw on the plane, and you'll know which area to modify in the skin.
    A good way of doing that is using a multi layer paint software (paint.net and GIMP are good free examples), put the colored template one level above you skin, then reduce its "opacity" to make it more transparent and see which area of the skin is where under it.
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Feb-10-2020 at 16:27.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.12 GB

This guy ---- " AOTEA'S"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOB5bTy0X0

has 10 part series on skinning and although it is War thunder could be helpful.

He also uses Photoshop unlike many that use Gimp.

cheers
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14495&dateline=153818  5177

5. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

WarThunder live is a site for warthunder skins is there an equivalent site for CLOD skins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    WarThunder live is a site for warthunder skins is there an equivalent site for CLOD skins?

If you are looking for skins then they can be found in the download section of the forum:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...?categoryid=12

Cheers
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.12 GB

Couple pics of simple panel finder i made
    then overlaid as " Noofy " said .
    simple and works well for locating smaller items

may be useful to someone

FINDER.jpg FINDER 2.jpg

shot_20200223_012919.gif shot_20200223_013102.gif shot_20200223_013226.jpg

opacity-test.gif

cheers

9. Likes ATAG_Noofy, major_setback liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi Madshepherd,
    I can see you havent got as far as trying to work out just why your cowling fasteners on a Me109 for example are showing as rlm65 on your rlm70/71 all greens side for example.

those large colour blocks will be of minimal use.

When you paint rlm71 over the kidney shaped blister at top rear edge of the engine cowling and see a sliver of rlm 71 appear in the 02 further fwd, you will be needing to fly the coloured panel finder, noting the letter and number (or part thereof ) and studying the panel finder in your editing prog to see quite where that anomaly is occurring, then figuring out how to solve it.

When you paint a camouflage demarcation line and fly it and see its stepped near the wing leading edge, what you do is:-
    Create a skin of just the grid, call it coloured panel finder.
    Create another without the colours (KeefyBoy supplied me one, PM me if you cant get hold of it)

fly the skin you made, study it in the large 3D window, where you can rotate the model and do screen captures (print screen button then when in photoshop, go file new edit paste).
    without moving the view select the coloured panel finder from the skins list at right, do another screen print, then select the mono coloured b/w grid, and again do a screen print. The latter is sometimes better as you can see demarcation lines easier without conflicting colours of the coloured panel finder.

You can also alter the layer type to 'difference' or 'multiply' in photoshop so dark colours get a light text and vice versa, then fly the camo/panel finder mix for some sussing operations.

In photoshop armed with your three layers of printscreens from the 3D window, alter layer opacity, and also turn layers on and off, to see exactly where the skins come together, where your demarcation line is getting stepped.

create a layer and draw on it ( I use bright pink) the mapping edge for each panel, use pencil tool 1 pixel size. then work out how the two skins are abutted together, you get to see by how much to move the demarcation line, I place a contrasting coloured line on the panels to show where they get brought together.

when you come to do mottling you will be using grid a lot, as when the mottle crosses a mapping seam, it can shift, you will need to find out which part of the skin that small little intake comes from, thats the use of the grid.

You will also need to make something even finer, a mini grid, as some bits are so small the letters and numbers are not evident, but with the colour panel finder the colour helps find that part.

You pick it up as you go.

big thing is no need to fly, use the 3D preview window in the page where there is a static image behind of a ju88 or hurricane and you choose the skinfrom the drop down list far right, its a pity though the port side is in shade, but without the reflections its great for seeing clearly whats what.
    You dont need to keep choosing the skin in the object browser, when you paste the skin into the 1C softclub skins folder for your aircraft, you simple need to go out by one click of thet 3D page then go fwd again and the skin will be in the drop down list.

You may know all this already.

BOBC

11. Likes farley, madshepherd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.12 GB

Re: Skins

Hi
    sorry for late response to above

I will look into what you have said

I have added a couple of pics of where i am at and although there are some
    parts which are not correct colour ,i have identified all the parts.

1 Black Fighter Pilot school version (Bonditaria )

2 2x version of H.Joachim Marseille

shot_20200318_182925.gif shot_20200318_183216.gifshot_20200318_182945.gifshot_20200318_183239.gif

shot_20200323_021027.gif

Thanks again for detailed explanation above (BOBC)
    cheers
    Last edited by madshepherd; Mar-22-2020 at 22:29.

13. Likes Little Bill liked this post