Thread: Lost All Settings

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Lost All Settings

Hey Guys/Gals

I was flying a mission on the TWC Campaign Server when it crashed at 2020-02-22 06:23:26Z. The mission was July 25 1940 at 1100 hrs. There was 9hrs 13min remaining to the mission.

I waited around for it to restart, but it didn't, so I went onto another server. When I entered the new server, the first thing I noticed was that when I selected the aircraft to fly, it wasn't dressed with my custom skin and all the other settings where back to their default. I selected a different aircraft and it was the same; no custom skins, all default settings. Closer investigation revealed that my convergences and ammunition load-outs were back to default as well. I exited the game and restarted; the problem persisted. I decided to reboot the computer, hoping and praying that it would restore my settings, it did not. The only saving grace is that my key assignments could be reloaded by loading my saved .ini files.

I'm not sure why my load-outs where not saved to my .ini file. I hate to think that I'm going to have to redo them again. If that be the case, how do I get my load-outs to save to my .ini file. I've tried following the instructions that I've read in other posts, by cutting and pasting some load-outs into the section of the .ini file, but that never seemed to work; the custom load-outs never loaded, so I just kept using the ones I had created. When I created a load-out, I would always save it and give it the name of whatever aircraft I was configuring i.e. "Spitfire IIa", but I cannot find those saved files anywhere.

I would appreciate any help that can be offered, as I don't really want to go through that painstaking process of manually changing each and ever gun, on each and every aircraft again. But if I do, it would be nice to know how to save it to an .ini file so it can be called up again, like I'm able to with my key mapping, should this happen again.

Final note: I'm not sure exactly why this happened, there was a recent Steam update. I've not added anything new to my computer, I've not installed any new software other than the Steam update. When I tried going onto another server later this evening, I was in the server for maybe 5 minutes when I was booted again with a message saying "lost communication." Anyone else having these problems?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Re: Lost All Settings

As far as I can tell, loadouts are stored in the file called User.ini
    All the loadouts, including the ones you name.

Would not know how to re-generate/re-create its contents, other than to use a backup... but you'd have to have one do be able to do so.

'Lost Communication' - it could simply be the server did a restart, or the dedicated server running on it restarted?
    I would not worry about that one incident, sure if it keeps happening, it may be a problem, but for now... ignore it.

(Usually I am careful and cautious whenever I need to restart the DangerDogz server: I wait until no one is on it, or when it's about to do its 4 hourly re-start.
    Though I do know I've messed up in the past, restarting server when people using it, and not announcing the restart. Ooops)

3. Likes TWC_Padre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

It sounds like Fatal really has upped the "dead is dead" ethic on that server!

On a more serious note, I'm not sure that there is a way you can recover your settings, but this will help simplify doing your convergences and loadouts: RAF Loadout manager

5. Likes TWC_Padre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Padre, is your ‘Steam Cloud’ on or off?

It should be off for Cliffs.

To create backups:

1. Create a desktop folder and name it CoD Backups.

2. Go into Documents>1C SoftClub>il-2 sturmovik

3. Make a copy of all 5 config files and paste them into your CoD Backups folder.

4. If you create new loadouts, you will have to update your CoD Backups with a new copy of your user.ini file.

5. If you change any control settings, you will have to update folder with a new copy of confUser.ini.

To reinstall backups, make a copy of those five config files in your Cod Backups folder, and paste them into Documents>1C SoftClub>il-2 sturmovik folder.
    Last edited by DRock; Feb-22-2020 at 23:10.

7. Likes TWC_Padre, Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    create backups
    Sounds like a good plan! .... Done!

It could have been worse, I could have had to remap everything

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Padre (VK-P) View Post
    Sounds like a good plan! .... Done!

It could have been worse, I could have had to remap everything
    You know what? That just happened to my install. Had to remap everything, all buttons/keys/axes.

And I even got backups! But using those did not fix it. I maybe should've looked at some older backups - looks like I did back up the error situation already.
    Oh well, it's not that much work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Again, having Steam Cloud on is a possible cause of this.

11. Likes DD_FT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Roger that! I checked Steam, and I guess by default it is on. It is off now. I don't particularly like anything to do with clouds unless I'm flying through them

13. Likes DRock liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Sure it is... but I know for sure there are other causes, well, there must be at least one other!

15. Likes DRock liked this post