Thread: Help with joystick

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Help with joystick

Hi all seeking some help because at the moment this is almost a game breaker for me
    I have a VKB Gladiator stick. Works like a dream in all other games.
    Problem is with CLoD the flight controls are so jerky its almost impossible to line up an enemy in the gunsights.
    I’ve tried every adjustment in the axis controls. Dead zones too. But no matter what remains impossibly jerky.
    it’s particularly bad in the elevator. As you try to adjust back and forth to draw a bead it jerks everywhere.
    It just seems all or nothing. Either no response or an extreme reaction.
    Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: Help with joystick

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl e View Post
    Hi all seeking some help because at the moment this is almost a game breaker for me
    I have a VKB Gladiator stick. Works like a dream in all other games.
    Problem is with CLoD the flight controls are so jerky its almost impossible to line up an enemy in the gunsights.
    I’ve tried every adjustment in the axis controls. Dead zones too. But no matter what remains impossibly jerky.
    it’s particularly bad in the elevator. As you try to adjust back and forth to draw a bead it jerks everywhere.
    It just seems all or nothing. Either no response or an extreme reaction.
    Help!
    I suspect you have a hardware/software issue, not a game problem. I use full sensitivity in all three flight control axes in the game's CONTROLS menu, and then modify inputs using the software for my stick and rudder. (Thrustmaster Target SE)

Start with your Windows Device manager to assure that your USB's are all OK.
    Then check the Windows Game Controllers window to make sure that controllers respond properly.
    Then use the self test feature of your gaming controllers' software and adjust accordingly.

I think that 1lokos is the advocate for VKB products in these forums. PM him for more insights.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

I have a Gunfighter, but I think the Gladiator software is about the same. Have you done anything to the Axis response curves in the VKB config program? I run the game with the game sensitivity close to zero and make adjustments in the VKB config program. I assume you are flying a Spit. the elevator is extremely sensitive for me and had to be turned down alot. By the way, if you switch plane you will find that a different profile for each plane is necessary (if you want to live) you can do that using the game settings or the Gladiator's settings. If you want help with the VKB software let me know, I am hardly an expert, but I have mine working ok.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

4. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I have a Gunfighter, but I think the Gladiator software is about the same. Have you done anything to the Axis response curves in the VKB config program? I run the game with the game sensitivity close to zero and make adjustments in the VKB config program. I assume you are flying a Spit. the elevator is extremely sensitive for me and had to be turned down alot. By the way, if you switch plane you will find that a different profile for each plane is necessary (if you want to live) you can do that using the game settings or the Gladiator's settings. If you want help with the VKB software let me know, I am hardly an expert, but I have mine working ok.
    Thanks - how do I do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Go into your profile and send me a Private Message. I think we can set up a Team Speak meeting via the PM. I will try to PM you right now.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

7. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Go into your profile and send me a Private Message. I think we can set up a Team Speak meeting via the PM. I will try to PM you right now.
    Rock on Bill! No stopping you......!

P.s. Saw you had umpty umpty kills on Danger Dogz the other night! Hey, try and leave some for us slower, lesser mortals! Ha ha!

Best wishes to you and yours Bill.....keep safe! Salute!

9. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Hi,
    I have now got used to the Gladiator in CLoD. Mainly flying Blenheim, Hurricane and Spitfire I use a deadzone of 6 in the VKB Device configuration. No curves in the VKB software. Calibration is done in the VKB-SW.
    I have set the sensitivity in CLoD to 0.35 for Ailerons and 0.30 for Elevators, no deadzones.

The Joystick is mounted on a table mount between my legs, have not tested having it on top of the desk.

With these settings the said planes are good to handle. The lack of centre position requires a lot of attention when flying on the deck. But it is very precise and steady aiming is not more difficult as with my old Thrustmaster. That said I do not hit anything but that is more lack of ability.

However I have to admit that I am not entirely pleased with the Gladiator due to the weak and somewhat undefined centre. The more am I pleased with the VKB rudder pedals.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    Hi,
    I have now got used to the Gladiator in CLoD. Mainly flying Blenheim, Hurricane and Spitfire I use a deadzone of 6 in the VKB Device configuration. No curves in the VKB software. Calibration is done in the VKB-SW.
    I have set the sensitivity in CLoD to 0.35 for Ailerons and 0.30 for Elevators, no deadzones.

The Joystick is mounted on a table mount between my legs, have not tested having it on top of the desk.

With these settings the said planes are good to handle. The lack of centre position requires a lot of attention when flying on the deck. But it is very precise and steady aiming is not more difficult as with my old Thrustmaster. That said I do not hit anything but that is more lack of ability.

However I have to admit that I am not entirely pleased with the Gladiator due to the weak and somewhat undefined centre. The more am I pleased with the VKB rudder pedals.

A bit lost here. Is there a vkb program that allows you to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Ok, there are 2 VKB applications you can use for calibrating and configuring your Gladiator.
    If it’s only calibrating and changing deadzones the Wizzo SW is enough:
    https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=...evice-software
    Manual here:
    https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-conten...1_7-9-2016.pdf

I would recommend that you create a profile for Cliffs as you wrote that the Gladiator works fine for you in all other sims. I have also a Cliffs configuration and a x-plane config.
    It is a bit work as you need to load the correct config into your Gladiator via Wizzo everytime you change simulator but better than not be able to use Clifffs.

Calibrate the Gladiator as described in the Wizzo manual.
    Then you can test which deadzone for roll and pitch works for you. I use 6.0 for both in Cliffs.
    That makes my Gladiator to go to centre in Cliffs when I release the stick.
    You can check that in Cliffs in the Axes menu under options controlls (hope that is correct, have not Cliffs running right now). You should see that both Aileron and Elevator are in the centre when the stick is realeased after moving it.
    If the corrrect value in Wizzo is 6 or more ore less depends on your device I guess. It is just trying to find a good compromise.

So now you have eliminated drift around the centre when you release the stick.
    For me it is still to sensitive though when moving around the centre.
    Therefore I changed the Sensitivity for Aileron to 0.35 and Elevator to 0.30 in Cliffs options controlls axes.
    Now you see that when you move the Axes around centre the input is increasing faster than the output around the centre position. The response curve is now like a s-shape.

That is of course a matter of preference and it takes time to get used to.

Why it is so much more difficult in Cliffs compared to eg x-plane I do not know.

Maybe someone else can add more knowledge to that but it is at least how I got it to work.

So summarize:
    Install Wizzo
    Create Clod profile in Wizzo
    Calibrate device in Wizzo
    Add centre deadzone for roll and pitch in Wizzo (start with 6.0)
    Add sensitivity for aileron and elevator in Cliffs
    don’t forget to load the correct profile to the device via wizzo each time you use Cliffs

Good luck!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Thanks mate will give a shot

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Ok, there are 2 VKB applications you can use for calibrating and configuring your Gladiator.
    If it’s only calibrating and changing deadzones the Wizzo SW is enough:
    https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=...evice-software
    Manual here:
    https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-conten...1_7-9-2016.pdf

I would recommend that you create a profile for Cliffs as you wrote that the Gladiator works fine for you in all other sims. I have also a Cliffs configuration and a x-plane config.
    It is a bit work as you need to load the correct config into your Gladiator via Wizzo everytime you change simulator but better than not be able to use Clifffs.

Calibrate the Gladiator as described in the Wizzo manual.
    Then you can test which deadzone for roll and pitch works for you. I use 6.0 for both in Cliffs.
    That makes my Gladiator to go to centre in Cliffs when I release the stick.
    You can check that in Cliffs in the Axes menu under options controlls (hope that is correct, have not Cliffs running right now). You should see that both Aileron and Elevator are in the centre when the stick is realeased after moving it.
    If the corrrect value in Wizzo is 6 or more ore less depends on your device I guess. It is just trying to find a good compromise.

So now you have eliminated drift around the centre when you release the stick.
    For me it is still to sensitive though when moving around the centre.
    Therefore I changed the Sensitivity for Aileron to 0.35 and Elevator to 0.30 in Cliffs options controlls axes.
    Now you see that when you move the Axes around centre the input is increasing faster than the output around the centre position. The response curve is now like a s-shape.

That is of course a matter of preference and it takes time to get used to.

Why it is so much more difficult in Cliffs compared to eg x-plane I do not know.

Maybe someone else can add more knowledge to that but it is at least how I got it to work.

So summarize:
    Install Wizzo
    Create Clod profile in Wizzo
    Calibrate device in Wizzo
    Add centre deadzone for roll and pitch in Wizzo (start with 6.0)
    Add sensitivity for aileron and elevator in Cliffs
    don’t forget to load the correct profile to the device via wizzo each time you use Cliffs

Good luck!
    Hey this is much better. Playing around with it but still some massive sensitivity. Wish it just had traditional curves but better.

15. Likes farley liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Okay so using wizzo I’m finding I’m getting it only marginally controllable by shifting the dead zone for the edge all the way to 11 and centre to about 7. I might go even further. Trying to lay a steady bullseye on a stationary target remains pretty difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Hm, you shouldnt need a deadzone at the edges. Have you calibrated the stick in Wizzo?

As I wrote I also needed to play with the sensitivity in Cliffs of Dover to get a controllable behavior around the centre.

Are you using pedals or the twist function of the stick? Because if you use the twist I guess it is difficult with the soft centre on roll and pitch and the very stiff centre on the twist axis.

Maybe 1lokos can give you more advice, there is another config software from VKB, very powerful but not easy to use.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Hi,
    I have a Gladiator pro mk1 and after calibrating it with Wizzo, for sensitivity I used the settings from Blitz, this works well for most planes.
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.82 MB

Any recommended bindings for vkb

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Hm, you shouldnt need a deadzone at the edges. Have you calibrated the stick in Wizzo?

As I wrote I also needed to play with the sensitivity in Cliffs of Dover to get a controllable behavior around the centre.

Are you using pedals or the twist function of the stick? Because if you use the twist I guess it is difficult with the soft centre on roll and pitch and the very stiff centre on the twist axis.

Maybe 1lokos can give you more advice, there is another config software from VKB, very powerful but not easy to use.
    Using pedals

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

And nup - no matter how much I try to adjust the dead zones in wizzo it’s still massively too sensitive when it counts in trying to put the crosshairs on target. Minor input to elevator or aileron sees it jump all over the place.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Forget this I’m an idiot. I hadn’t calibrated before applying the dead zones. Works well now. Thanks chaps

23. Likes farley, Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Forget this I’m an idiot. I hadn’t calibrated before applying the dead zones. Works well now. Thanks chaps
    Clicked a like, but now worried that you might think I'm agreeing that you are an idiot....

Naw, just glad you got it sorted out.

Last edited by farley; Apr-02-2020 at 08:04.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

No worries thanks mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Perfect! I almost could have bet it was something like that. Have been there as well when I got the stick.
    Good luck with the fine tuning!