Thread: Dark Side of Glory-PTSD in the letters of World War I aces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Dark Side of Glory-PTSD in the letters of World War I aces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Re: Dark Side of Glory-PTSD in the letters of World War I aces.

An excellent article Hawk.
    These guys flew rickety, unarmoured machines with no parachute in freezing conditions where u were just as likely to die in a training accident as in combat.
    WW2 gets the majority of attention but this pioneering era of air warfare in WW1 is a fascinating, albeit tragic history as well.

A good documentary covering some of this is Aces Falling https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

There is also an excellent 4 part documentary series by Jan Goldstein "The Great War in the Air, Aces of he Western Front: A Pictorial History" https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    No film, all done with still pics but worth a watch.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

An excellent article, thank you for sharing Torian.

I do believe that WWI was the first of a new era of combat, also in a turning point in history, for the better and for the worse.
    Its positioning, and the rarity of the discovery of information from the men leaves a raw, plain, and utterly genuine view of what a man felt, and could not, can not, help feeling in such circumstances.

These notes are untouched by any sort of bias, and are just plain, strait forward and blunt. As anything trying to prove a point, or simply show the truth should be.

The truth is often times blunt, because it is fact, and not fiction.

4. Likes \Hawk/, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    An excellent article Hawk.
    These guys flew rickety, unarmoured machines with no parachute in freezing conditions where u were just as likely to die in a training accident as in combat.
    WW2 gets the majority of attention but this pioneering era of air warfare in WW1 is a fascinating, albeit tragic history as well.

A good documentary covering some of this is Aces Falling https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

There is also an excellent 4 part documentary series by Jan Goldstein "The Great War in the Air, Aces of he Western Front: A Pictorial History" https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    No film, all done with still pics but worth a watch.
    Much appreciate, especially with lockdown, the pointer to more intel (youtube docs)!

6. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Also PTSD for WWII Aces.

For example, 'Buzz' Beurling... the Canadian Malta Ace had regular screaming nightmares where he re-experienced the moment when his 20mm shells blew the head off an Italian pilot as that pilot looked back at Beurling as he closed on the Italian's 8 o'clock.

8. Likes \Hawk/, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Both Wars would have been very troubling for pilots, but most of the opportunities for chivalry found in the First would have vanished in the second.
    Now I would dare say that no ordinary man would find a single opportunity for any courtousy toward any enemy in the air.

But to be sure, the weight and stress of the kill or be instinct, or rather knowledge, was damn evident in the Second War, and sure as anything would not even be considered as though it were some sort of question now.
    Last edited by ATAG_TCP; Apr-01-2020 at 21:19.