Thread: This Fighter Jet Actually Flew in WW2 (And then the Allies Stole It) - The Me 262

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

This Fighter Jet Actually Flew in WW2 (And then the Allies Stole It) - The Me 262

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

2. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Re: This Fighter Jet Actually Flew in WW2 (And then the Allies Stole It) - The Me 262

I might be going barmy (ok, a bit more than normal) but that looks like a Jug in the background, and maybe even a Lighting behind it?
    jug.jpg
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Re: This Fighter Jet Actually Flew in WW2 (And then the Allies Stole It) - The Me 262

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    I might be going barmy (ok, a bit more than normal) but that looks like a Jug in the background, and maybe even a Lighting behind it?
    jug.jpg
    hey Vlerkies - long time no speak huh? Hope all is well in the deep south of Africa?

re the picture - I'm thinking - but dont know for sure - that it might be to do with this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Lusty

Ive got this book about it and its a good read if interested in leaning more about it

https://www.amazon.com/Watsons-Whizz.../dp/0764335170

Look fwd to seeing you in-game in African skies!

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

G'Day Ezzie

All good thanks mate.
    Hope the same there with you folks.
    I cant remember if we chatted or I said before, I ended up in Sydney in Aug last year for a wee bit of work, what a cracking city. Darling harbor and surrounds, as well as the scenic sorta trip round the coast. Really enjoyed my time there. I'd move there tomorrow if I could.
    If you know of anyone that wants to adopt a 50yr old child, lemme know

I think you are quite correct and right on the money with 'Op Lusty'. I knew these programs existed, and still do with any conflict, but not the specifics at least of them or this one. Probably was where a lot of 109's ended up getting pieced together to make flyable variants for flight trials.
    Definitely a P-47 there (just look at that prop/tail/canopy) and I would wager maybe the 38 behind it as well. The nose, front gear and markings just look like it as best you can see from the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Glad you had a good time in Sydney Vlerkies - its a bit different there now though.....

LOL re late age adoption - i'll make some calls..

G'Day Ezzie

All good thanks mate.
    Hope the same there with you folks.
    I cant remember if we chatted or I said before, I ended up in Sydney in Aug last year for a wee bit of work, what a cracking city. Darling harbor and surrounds, as well as the scenic sorta trip round the coast. Really enjoyed my time there. I'd move there tomorrow if I could.
    If you know of anyone that wants to adopt a 50yr old child, lemme know

I think you are quite correct and right on the money with 'Op Lusty'. I knew these programs existed, and still do with any conflict, but not the specifics at least of them or this one. Probably was where a lot of 109's ended up getting pieced together to make flyable variants for flight trials.
    Definitely a P-47 there (just look at that prop/tail/canopy) and I would wager maybe the 38 behind it as well. The nose, front gear and markings just look like it as best you can see from the image.

7. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    its a bit different there now though......
    How so? I know the fires caused havoc all over. And now this bloody virus. we are locked up for whats going to be 5 weeks.

Must tell you, folks down under were really friendly. Had a blast everywhere I went.

9. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

How so? I know the fires caused havoc all over. And now this bloody virus. we are locked up for whats going to be 5 weeks.

Must tell you, folks down under were really friendly. Had a blast everywhere I went.
    Like most places its a zombie wasteland with very few people out on the streets etc. We are under lock down more or less as well - only essential travel allowed and the police are doing random checks on what people are doing if they are out away from home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Just to add Europe to the intercontinental chat.

Re Operation Lusty:

here in heidelberg, where I live there is some local legend going roun told by some people who lived at the time.
    It says that in spring or summer 45 a number (2, 3 or sometimes 4) Me 262 with American markings were seen flying over the local 'mountain' ridge and crashing there.

Never found out whether there is some truth behind it.

12. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.28 MB

Interesting!

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's a great screen grab Vlerkies, but behind the P-47, I reckon that's a P-39, rather than a P-38 lighting? The nosewheel is further forward than a P-38 and it has a deeper profile to its underside. The prop would be concealed by the black of the open hangar and the people stood in front and, if it were a lighting, you would probably be able to see the port side prop above the cowling of the P-47. The tail fin is visible just behind the P-47's cockpit and fits the P-39's profile. What at first I thought could have been the second fin of a P-38, is the canopy of the Me262.

Either way, it doesn't detract from what is a great photo
    Last edited by No.119_Marshy (VK-M); Apr-16-2020 at 10:16.

15. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I think you are correct there Marshy, looks more like a Cobra the more I look at it.