Thread: How hard would it be to implement an actual gun camera in game?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

How hard would it be to implement an actual gun camera in game?

You could land and then watch it / download and save it..I think that would be great. Has a flight simulator ever done that before?

AND..while I'm not it..

working oxygen system with damage model
    cockpit shake

Just thinking out loud..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: How hard would it be to implement an actual gun camera in game?

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    You could land and then watch it / download and save it..I think that would be great. Has a flight simulator ever done that before?

AND..while I'm not it..

working oxygen system with damage model
    cockpit shake

Just thinking out loud..
    - Guncam would require placing a viewpoint in the wing where the gun was mounted... however, the majority of air forces did not have guncams... for example, the Luftwaffe, Regia Aeronautica, Soviet VVS, Japanese Navy and Army Air Forces, French Metropolitan (1940) etc. Only the RAF, FAA, USAAF, USN used Guncams. The Germans occasionally mounted guncams to gather footage for propaganda films or to help train pilots but these were the exception to the standard. So instituting guncams would only benefit one side. Right now players can create guncam like footage using the view through their gunsight... we are not planning on changing that.

- Cockpit shake is something we will look at.

- Oxygen systems are pointless... the fact is, a pilot turned them on as soon as he entered the cockpit and adjusted them past about 3000 meters/10000 ft. The only result to us implementing thest systems would be pilots dying as a result of forgetting to open the valves... and losing consciousness, or opening them too soon at low altitudes and running out... and dying when they climbed to high altitude... both of which would annoy a lot of players. For all the coding required, not worthwhile.

3. Likes MrSteven, Little Bill liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Thanks for the response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    Gun Cam like IRL - started by trigger and record ~10 seconds is somewhat implemented in DCS MiG-15, but was not much useful, just record seconds.

https://youtu.be/icoKU3iwV20?t=125

I have simulated this with scripts in CloD - due their poor record system, inferior to IL-2:1946* and don't find a practical compromisse, you end with dozens of small clips.

* In 1946 was more practical you can start stop record without stop the game CloD -what was wishes of lazy UBI'zoo morons, and end more hinder than helped.

The best IRL sequences you see in Youtube "gun cam" is not camera activated by trigger, but started by "combat camera" button, recording action before and after pilot fire guns.