Thread: using 2nd joystick for turret control

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

using 2nd joystick for turret control

HI,
    Im feelin the urge to go bombing again with new wellington on the way. Im trying to set up a new joystick to control turret, logitech 3D pro. I have the controls saved but its very "jumpy and Twitchy". I have sensitivity set to 1.00 in controls. any advice would be welcome. If its good advice I may hesitate before i fill you with lead in TFS 5.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Re: using 2nd joystick for turret control

I've tried that idea too in the Blenheim. It seems a practical way to do it, but unfortunately it just didn't translate motion very well no matter what settings I fiddled with. Actually now I recall a long time after I 1st attempted it I tried it again, with 2 different joysticks. I came away with the same (lack of) result.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Apr-25-2020 at 15:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Don't worth.

Whit one exception (Br.20) turret in Clod are done to be controlled with mouse, but initially, in the name of "realism" (or Ubi'Z00 whises),
    mouse down raise sight, mouse up lower sight, contrary to how people use mouse in windows desktop, or in IL-2:46 turrets, and so result a lot of complains.

TF try fix this, but in the process broken the only turret in game programmed to be controlled with joystick, because RL this a powered turret, Fiat Br.20 upper turret, now this turret is a disaster typical of CloD release, if you try use joystick axes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Don't worth.

Whit one exception (Br.20) turret in Clod are done to be controlled with mouse, but initially, in the name of "realism" (or Ubi'Z00 whises),
    mouse down raise sight, mouse up lower sight, contrary to how people use mouse in windows desktop, or in IL-2:46 turrets, and so result a lot of complains.

TF try fix this, but in the process broken the only turret in game programmed to be controlled with joystick, because RL this a powered turret, Fiat Br.20 upper turret, now this turret is a disaster typical of CloD release, if you try use joystick axes.
    We just have changed this for TF 5.0... now you can use your joystick to control the turret.

We will add this in a patch for CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ as soon as we can and the BR-20 will be good.

5. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    We just have changed this for TF 5.0... now you can use your joystick to control the turret.
    Nice but raises a Q... Will it be
    move joystick to the left then turret will rotate until joystick is centered (like if you where using a key to move it left)
    or
    move joystick to the 50% left position and the turret will move to the 50% left position and stay there (as in the joystick position defines the turret position).
    ?

Hope it makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Its like the propellor pitch rocker control in the 109E-1/E-3... moves as long as you hold the stick to the left or right... stops when you center the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Nice but raises a Q... Will it be
    move joystick to the left then turret will rotate until joystick is centered (like if you where using a key to move it left)
    or
    move joystick to the 50% left position and the turret will move to the 50% left position and stay there (as in the joystick position defines the turret position).
    ?

Hope it makes sense

8. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

We will add this in a patch for CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ as soon as we can and the BR-20 will be good.
    Im' slightly confused, will this proposed patch improve joystick control for all turrets or just BR20 turret

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Has anyone tried a trackball for this? I know when I used a mouse, the gun wouldn't traverse very far, and I'd have to lift the mouse up and drop it on the other side of the mousepad to traverse a little more. Seems like a trackball will just keep going.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Well, if it worked pointing at the position of the joystick, someone could attach a gun-stock to a joystick (frankengunner?) and use it to aim

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Haven't got a trackball. and If I spend another penny on CLOD kit the real CO in my life will put me,PC, CLOD and the dog out on the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    Haven't got a trackball. and If I spend another penny on CLOD kit the real CO in my life will put me,PC, CLOD and the dog out on the street.
    You will not need to add a joystick.

Your existing joystick will work to control both the aircraft and the turret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Actually I'm using a joystick, a throttle, a mouse, a head-tracking system and my trusted Bf 110 and that's all I need to shot down teabags with my rear gunner. There's no need, at least here, to add any additional device.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Apr-28-2020 at 19:35.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

15. Likes ATAG_Oskar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

If you use the same joystick while in a turret (say in the rear gunner position), how do you fly the plane "backwards" at the same time?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

17. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    If you use the same joystick while in a turret (say in the rear gunner position), how do you fly the plane "backwards" at the same time?
    The joystick axis Y,X,Z ( except if they have been set differently ) normally are used by players to control the aircraft movements ( Pitch, Yaw, Roll ). You need only to set a key on the joystick for switching between pilot and rear gunner position ( or the other crew positions ).
    Once in the rear gunner position you need only the mouse to fire or control the rear gunner/machine gun movements ( at least in the German planes it works in this way )
    In my humble opionion using a joystick to control the rear gunner is useless. For as good it can be, it will never match the precision and the speed of a good mouse. ( Especially a gaming one with high DPI available )
    If you have enough keys available on the joystick the other keys to be set are:

- Elevator trim up/down ( 3 keys needed for up, neutral and down position ) *or you can assign a joystick axis if any available
    - Rudder trim left/right ( 3 keys needed for left, neutral and right position ) *or you can assign a joystick axis if any available
    - Throttle management *normally assigned to an axis

In the case of virtual pilots " on budget " or at their first experiences with a flight sim, my suggestion surely goes for the THRUSTMASTER Joystick - T.Flight Hotas X.
    It has both the joystick and the throttle available on the same platform ( if needed the joystick and the throttle can be separated very easily ), it's very durable, stable and easy to set/use, it has a quite good amount of keys available for an entry level device and most important of all, it's quite cheap in respect to other products.
    The compromise between quality/usability/price is at its best about this device, IMHO.

** Personal note: At least for double engines/multi crew aircraft is highly suggested, IMHO, having a combination of joystick/throttle at least, to avoid possible difficulties related to the key assignement/usage in combat. A lot more handy than having to deal with a single joystick and its limited quantity of keys available.
    Maybe I'm too much of the " old school " but it makes me laughing a bit when I see people with super cockpits emulating the real ones, thousand of moneys spent to have instrument panels like the one of a Boeing 747 to be, then, being shot down like a jerk in 5 minutes when joining a multiplayer game

Be pratical, avoid the unnecessary stuffs guys.
    It's not the device used who makes the difference, it's the pilot manning it who really matters.
    Real-like super cool cockpits, state of the art joysticks and devices and hyper technological virtual reality googles are all stuffs that could surely add to the immersion but what really matters, at the end of the story, it's pressing the trigger at the right moment and at the right time and to " virtually survive " to fly another day.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Apr-29-2020 at 03:09.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals