Thread: How to start & run a Cliffs of Dover Server - Launcher64.exe -server

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

How to start & run a Cliffs of Dover Server - Launcher64.exe -server

TWC_Kaper & I were talking and we realized there is really no recent and comprehensive list of instructions anywhere for how to start and run your own Cliffs of Dover server.

Running a server is a handy thing to do, whether you want to run a server permanently, or temporarily for an event or training session for a few people, or just to test a mission that you are planning to run on another server.

Starting a server - Steps
    Setting up and running a server is pretty easy to do but there are also several somewhat persnickety steps to follow.

1. Set up confs.ini, including the server name and other details.
    2. Start Steam. UPDATE: With CloD 5.x, starting Steam separately is no longer necessary!
    3. Start Launcher.exe -server (I have a Windows shortcut set up with that command line)
    4. In CloD server type "f server-campaign.cmd"
    5. That loads the -settings.cmd file I want to use, and also the .mis file I want to run, and starts the battle.

A zip file with sample confs.ini setup and sample .cmd files for starting missions with specific settings is attached to this post: clod-server-settings-samplefiles.zip

More details about those steps:

#1. Server Configuration File: confs.ini

The confs.ini file includes your server name, description of the server as shown in-sim in the multiplayer server list, whether or not the server allows players to show their custom aircraft skins, and a few more necessary things. The confs.ini file lives in your C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder.

Note that the file conf.ini (no S!) has settings for the Launcher64.exe running standalone and as a client. The similar file confs.ini is a similar file, but used by Launcher64.exe when it is run in -server mode.

Note that conf.ini has similar settings and sections to confs.ini. The conf.ini settings are used when running a "Local Server" - i.e., Main Menu/Multiplayer/Local Server. If you are unsure about server settings in confs.ini, you can go to Main Menu/Multiplayer/Local Server, set up your local server as you like, and then check the corresponding sections saved on conf.ini - and even copy/paste them to confs.ini if desired.

Also note that changes to conf.ini will have no effect on Launcher.exe when run in -server mode. Only confs.ini (with the S!) will affect the program in -server mode.

A sample confs.ini configuration file is attached to this message, along with other sample server setup files: clod-server-settings-samplefiles.zip Most settings are self-explanatory, or explained by comments within the sample confs.ini file.

NOTE: You cannot edit confs.ini while the server is running. The server may save confs.ini periodically while running and definitely saves the file upon closing the server. So to edit confs.ini: Stop the server, edit confs.ini as desired, then re-start the server.

Enabling or disabling player custom skins

The SkinDownload value in the NET section of confs.ini determines whether players' custom aircraft skins will be visible to other players in the multiplayer server. Many servers disable custom skins because of performance issues. In the past, these issues have included stuttering when loading a new skin file and very long load times to enter a server.

If all skin files are kept small, less than 500K or so, the problems are much fewer. But in larger and more public servers it may be necessary to disable skin sharing.

Disable shared skins on the server:
    Code:
    [NET]
    SkinDownload=0
    Enable shared skins:

Code:
    SkinDownload=1
    #1A. Setting your port in Confs.ini and options for connecting to the Server with your Launcher64 game client
    One important setting in confs.ini is the port. The sample file is set to port 27021:

Code:
    localPort=27021
    You can set the port to be anything you like, as long as it does not conflict with any other port used on the machine the server is running on.

#1B. Allowing internet access to your server port via your network router, modem, etc

Setting up the port in confs.ini is the easy part for more server operators.

Next, depending on your particular network setup, router, internet connection, etc, you will most likely need to change some settings on your router to allow port 27021 (or whichever port you choose to use) to be visible from the internet.

How exactly to do this depends very much on your particular internet connection and equipment. For my router this is called "port forwarding" and I have forwarded TCP and UDP for port 27021 to the machine where the server runs.

When the server runs, it reaches out to Steam with the port and your internet IP address. If all goes well, within a few seconds of your starting the server, it will show up--under the name you specify in the confs.ini file--in the online server list for CLoD servers in everyone's in-game listing under Multiplayer/Server Browser.

If your server does not show up there, you can try connecting directly to the server at Multiplayer/Server Browser/Direct Connect, using your machine's public IP address and the port you entered in confs.ini (27021, in the example above). You can find your current public IP address using a service like this one: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Another option: If you don't expose your Launcher64 -server port to the internet using port forwarding on your router, you can still connect to the server from your local network. Find your server machine's IP address on your local network and join using that local IP address and the port (27021 or whatever you have set in confs.ini) using Multiplayer/Server Browser/Direct Connect.

You can find your current internal IP address by looking in Windows Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Local Area Connection/Details.

#2 Starting Steam
    However you usually start Steam before launching Launcher64.exe to play CLoD, do that. To run the server, you don't even need to be logged into Steam--just the app must be running.

Update: As of recent 5.x versions of CloD Blitz & Desert Wings, you don't need to start Steam before running the server. Instead, the server automatically connects to Steam - no separate Steam application needs to be started.

#3 Starting launcher

At a DOS command line:

Code:
      launcher64.exe -server

OR

launcher64.exe -server -pwd mypassword
    Now, I'm assuming you know how to start programs from the command line under Windows or using a utility like Powershell. If you're not familiar with this, you'll have to google instructions. But generally you'll need to switch to the directory containing launcher64.exe before issuing the command above.

So in reality the above command line sequence might look more like this
    Code:
    <<start CMD.exe ("Command Prompt") under Windows 10>>>

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz"

launcher64.exe -server -pwd canterbury
    If you want a server password you set that up in the server command line, as shown above. It looks something like "launcher64.exe -server -pwd mypassword"

Rather than typing these commands into a DOS command prompt window, you can also set up a Windows shortcut to start the server. I have a desktop shortcut to start CloD when i want to play the game (ie, launcher64.exe with its full path etc). So I just make a copy of that shortcut and then edit it to add the "-server" part to the end of the command line. You can also add the "-pwd mypassword" part to the command line in that shortcut if you like.

#4. Starting your mission within the server
    Once the Launcher64.exe -server is started, it has a text interface. Using that, to start the mission, you type something like:

Code:
    missLoad mymission.mis
    battle start
    "missLoad" and "battle" are two of many commands the server can run. Type "help" at the text prompt to get a full list of commands. "host", "chat Hi this is a message!", "kick TWC_Boss", "battle start" "battle stop", "file mycommandfile.cmd", and "exit" are a few of the most useful commands.

#4A. Automating server setup and mission start

Most people put together a mission command file with various settings and the command to load the mission and start the battle. Then you can run that from within the server with a command like:
    Code:
    file server-start.cmd
    Most commands can be abbreviated, so this is a very common command:

Code:
    f server-start.cmd
    Among the commands that most servers use is a long list of difficulty settings. These set everything from how realistic the server is (limited fuel, limited ammo, blackouts & redouts, etc) to whether outside views, map and aircraft icons are allowed and whether pilots can change armies, use autopilot, etc.

#4B. Sample server setup commands

Here is a typical set of "full realism" server commands:

Code:
    difficulty AntropomorphicControl 0
    difficulty ComplexEManagement 1
    difficulty TorqueGyroEffects 1
    difficulty EngineTemperatureEffects 1
    difficulty FlutterEffects 1
    difficulty WindTurbulence 1
    difficulty StallSpins 1
    difficulty Vulnerabilty 1
    difficulty BlackoutsRedouts 1
    difficulty Realisticgunnery 1
    difficulty RealisticBombing 1
    difficulty LimitedAmmo 1
    difficulty LimitedFuel 1
    difficulty CockpitAlwaysOn 1
    difficulty NoOutsideViews 0
    difficulty HeadShake 1
    difficulty NoIcons 1
    difficulty NoPadlock 0
    difficulty Clouds 1
    difficulty TakeoffLanding 1
    difficulty RealisticLandings 1
    difficulty NoMapIcons 1
    difficulty NoMinimapPath 1
    difficulty NoAutopilot 1
    difficulty NoReplacementPlace 0
    difficulty NoReplacement 0
    difficulty NoSelect 0
    difficulty NoReplacementArmy 0      
    difficulty NoSelectArmy 0
    difficulty NoCreate 0
    mp_dotrange DOT 25 ID 0 COLOR 0 NAME 0 TYPE 0 RANGE 0
    And here are sample setup commands that allow unlimited ammo and outside views:

Code:
    difficulty AntropomorphicControl 0
    difficulty ComplexEManagement 1
    difficulty TorqueGyroEffects 1
    difficulty EngineTemperatureEffects 1
    difficulty FlutterEffects 1
    difficulty WindTurbulence 1
    difficulty StallSpins 1
    difficulty Vulnerabilty 1
    difficulty BlackoutsRedouts 1
    difficulty Realisticgunnery 1
    difficulty RealisticBombing 1
    difficulty LimitedAmmo 0
    difficulty LimitedFuel 1
    difficulty CockpitAlwaysOn 1
    difficulty NoOutsideViews 0
    difficulty HeadShake 1
    difficulty NoIcons 0
    difficulty NoPadlock 0
    difficulty Clouds 1
    difficulty TakeoffLanding 1
    difficulty RealisticLandings 1
    difficulty NoMapIcons 0
    difficulty NoMinimapPath 1
    difficulty NoAutopilot 1
    difficulty NoReplacementPlace 0
    difficulty NoReplacement 0
    difficulty NoSelect 0
    difficulty NoReplacementArmy 0
    difficulty NoSelectArmy 0
    difficulty NoCreate 0
    mp_dotrange DOT 25 ID 0 COLOR 0 NAME 0 TYPE 0 RANGE 0
    Attached to this message is a .zip file with example files:

• server-start.cmd - run this as suggested above
    • clod-server-settings-outside-views-unlimited-ammo.cmd - this is automatically called from server-start.cmd. A couple more settings .cmd files are included for you to try
    • confs.ini - sample file, as discussed above.

All of these example files from the attached .zip should be placed in CloD documents folder, which usually looks something like:

• C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

Using srcu to load settings and start a mission [basic functionality]

The server runs in a console, and when it starts it loads the list of commands in the file srcu and executes them--just as though you had typed those same commands into the server console.

So for example if you entered these commands into the file srcu, the difficulty settings command file would load, then the mission would load, and then the battle would start - all this happening automatically when the server is started:

f clod-server-settings-outside-views-unlimited-ammo.cmd
    missLoad "missions\Multi\DD\Tobruk May 1941.mis
    battle start
    The file srcu is found in the same folder as confs.ini - usually something like C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover. Note that there is a similar file rcu which runs when the non-server Launcher.exe starts. (Thanks to DD_FT- for the info on srcu.)

Using srcu gives only basic functionality for setting the configuration and starting a mission when the server starts. If you want more advanced functionality, you will want to use a server watchdog program, as outlined in the following section:

Running a Server Watchdog Program [more advanced functionality]
    When running an ongoing server, many people use some form of a server watchdog program. Watchdog is a program starts the server and notices when it is complete--or locked up--and starts the next mission or restarts the server.

Info and downloads for Watchdog here, including many tips on getting a server up & running:

More information & resources

Useful resource--somewhat out of date, but still has most of the basics:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22038

Sample setup & confs.ini files for a server:

clod-server-settings-samplefiles.zip

This post was originally published on the TWC Pilots Forum here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Jul-26-2021 at 03:23.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: How to start & run a Cliffs of Dover Server - Launcher64.exe -server

Also I'll mention that if you just want to run a quick test of a mission, you can simply load it and run it within FMB.

However, the environment is slightly different when running under launcher64.exe -server, so sometimes bugs or "features" will appear somewhat different in one or the other.

Also, as your mission and scripting becomes more complex, it may become impossible to run a mission under FMB and also fly it. It generally works much better to run the mission in the server and then run Launcher64.exe as usual to fly the mission.

If your computer is reasonably powerful you can run the mission and also fly it on the same computer.

If that becomes impossible, then you can run the server on one computer and join it to play from a different machine.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

3. Likes ATAG_Torian, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks to Flug and Kaper for this guide.

Would recommend you post it over on the 1C forums as well.

5. Likes ATAG_Torian, TWC_Flug liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    809.23 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Flug View Post

#3 Starting launcher

At a DOS command line:

Code:
      launcher64.exe -server

OR

launcher64.exe -server pwd mypassword
    Now, I'm assuming you know how to start programs from the command line under Windows or using a utility like Powershell. If you're not familiar with this, you'll have to google instructions. But generally you'll need to switch to the directory containing launcher64.exe before issuing the command above.

So in reality the above command line sequence might look more like this
    Code:
    <<start CMD.exe ("Command Prompt") under Windows 10>>>

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz"

launcher64.exe -server pwd canterbury
    If you want a server password you set that up in the server command line, as shown above. It looks something like "launcher64.exe -server -pwd mypassword"
    I can't get the password to work following this. Server runs fine but it shows no password when I connect to it .

Is this because I'm running the client on same machine as server?

I'm testing mission build so I want to password protect it for now to stop others connecting to the sever.

EDIT:

Ok i managed to find answer trolling some old forums
    its "-pwd" not "pwd" in command line. This now works

@TWC_Flug Maybe edit your post above to fix this typo.
    Last edited by Stix; Oct-28-2020 at 20:13. Reason: Answer found

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I'm trying to go through the instructions here to run a server, but after I run "Launcher64.exe -server" I get a black window that pops up and runs for a few seconds, then closes. Is there a logfile somewhere that might tell me what is going wrong?

***Edit***
    DUH - never mind, found it in the same directory. It says "Failed to connect to Steam".

***Edit again***
    Has to disable Virtualbox host-only network adapter. Making progress.

***Edit 3***

So I was successful running the Tobruk Mission from DangerDogz (Thanks DD_FT!), spawned some enemy aircraft, then entered game and did some shooting. Left it running overnight to see about stability. The Post at the top of this thread says Steam doesn't even have to be running to run the server, but at 3:33AM the logfile says "Server got logged out of Steam or connection to Steam lost , Exiting". Which implies that you Must use Steam for the server.
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; May-14-2021 at 10:11.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

9. Likes major_setback, DerDa liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Anyone know how to get Launcher64.exe to ignore the VirtualBox network adapter? I have to disable it to get launcher to work, but I use my virtual machines every day, which means I have to shut down the CloD server every time. It's a temporary problem, as once I get some experience with the server I'll move it to a dedicated machine, but it would be nice to figure out for now.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    (...) but at 3:33AM the logfile says "Server got logged out of Steam or connection to Steam lost , Exiting". Which implies that you Must use Steam for the server.
    Steam does not have to be running, the server process will make a connection to it all by itself.
    It does mean though that it can lose that connection, causing the server process to crash/end/exit.

To fix that, restart it.
    Or use the 'ClodWatchDog' (which will need Steam to be running) or try and use this solution/work around, which does not: Starting/Running A Dedicated Server using MS Powershell. A Watchdog.

12. Likes Kendy for the State, TWC_Flug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Steam does not have to be running,
    The STEAM client must have been started, otherwise the server has no possibility to connect to steam - but there's no need to login (dedicated servers do not need a steam account).

14. Likes Kendy for the State liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    EDIT:
    its "-pwd" not "pwd" in command line. This now works

@TWC_Flug Maybe edit your post above to fix this typo.
    Thank you - I just edited the post to change two places where this was incorrect.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    The STEAM client must have been started (...).
    Sorry, but no, it does not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Sorry, but no, it does not.
    I stand corrected :-), you're right: It does not.

18. Likes DD_FT liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I'm not having any luck at all with Watchdog. If I don't run it as Admin then all it does is keeps opening Steam, and nothing else. If I run it as Admin t runs launcher64.exe, then says "Error connecting to Launcher", then "Error sending common configuration commands". I've been through the setup multiple times and can't see any reason for it.

Idle
    **** Launcher Start ****
    Starting
    Sending Initial Commands...
    Launcher Start
    Sending common configuration commands
    Sending:

Error Connecting to launcher.
    Error Sending common configuration commands.
    Closing Connection
    *** Launcher Stop ***
    Connecting...

EDIT

Found it... had to add the localPort number to IP= under the [Console] section.
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; May-29-2021 at 11:43. Reason: Fixed problem
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I have Watchdog running great, and sub-mission rotation working great, thanks to ATAG_Oskar! I have a question about watchdog though... I have the "Launcher Pre-mission Commands" set up with timeouts to end the map after 6 hours, also with some server messages that pop up in chat on a scheduled basis. Is there a way to move all this stuff into the mission itself? If I add a mission to the rotation that needs to run for a different amount of time, it won't work properly because Watchdog will always end the map according to the Pre-mission commands. Also, the mission timeout in Watchdog is set to 6 hours, so wouldn't that cause a problem with a mission that needs to run for, say, 8 hours?

Kendy.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

If I add a mission to the rotation that needs to run for a different amount of time
    Well, then you should create a completely new, different mission.

The mission file you are using now, with the random sub missions being loaded, and the way it was setup is just that: A map with some spawn bases available, and with some random AI appearing in it, in an attempt to prevent repetitiveness ...
    The server stops and restarts after 6 hours to freshen everything up, free up memory etc. Just to restart and do it all over again.

You do not have to restart it after six hours.
    You can run it for like ever. Well, until it stops, or crashes, or...
    It was my decision to keep it at a 6 hour rotation...

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

The watchdog has this feature from old times, when missions were not able to stop themeselves. Nowadays, as DD_FT writes, the missions kill the server themselves and the Watchdog's role in this is reduced to detect that the server has stopped and to restart it again (with the next mission).

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    The watchdog has this feature from old times, when missions were not able to stop themeselves. Nowadays, as DD_FT writes, the missions kill the server themselves and the Watchdog's role in this is reduced to detect that the server has stopped and to restart it again (with the next mission).
    Yes, I figured it out... looked at a sample mission and extracted the code:

notepad++_yOjvOj1yS8.png
    notepad++_vRzjNbGZrk.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

24. Likes Artist, rontaila, TWC_Flug liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Nice Job!