Thread: Cannot start the Spitfire engine

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cannot start the Spitfire engine

I cannot start the Spit engine, although I think I am following all the steps:
    Full rich mixture
    Full fine pitch
    Throttle slightly advanced
    Fuel cock on
    Magnetos on
    Radiator open
    When hitting "I", the engine starts and spouts for a few seconds and dies
    I noticed the fuel pressure warning light is on, but there is nothing to be done, as the manual primer and electric pump are not working, and there is no fuel boost hand pump as in the Spitfire IX.
    I dont know what I am missing
    Opinions welcome
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Cannot start the Spitfire engine

Quote Originally Posted by jorgesoo View Post
    I cannot start the Spit engine, although I think I am following all the steps:
    Full rich mixture
    Full fine pitch
    Throttle slightly advanced
    Fuel cock on
    Magnetos on
    Radiator open
    When hitting "I", the engine starts and spouts for a few seconds and dies
    I noticed the fuel pressure warning light is on, but there is nothing to be done, as the manual primer and electric pump are not working, and there is no fuel boost hand pump as in the Spitfire IX.
    I dont know what I am missing
    Opinions welcome
    Thanks
    First of all, with the Spitfires, the mix lever is reversed... you need it in the 0% position as displayed by the info window... or lean.

Typically you need to use between 10-13 % throttle.

Don't change that when the engine fires... keep it at that level for the first 30 seconds.

Then gradually increase the throttle by steps, first approx. 20%, then gradually higher.

When the oil temp reaches 40 degrees, full throttle can be used.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The mix lever is at its aft position, full rich as it should be for start as the manual says.
    It is physically blocked by the throttle when it is not advanced at least half way

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

When you spawn in, the mixture is already set correctly by default (just as the prop pitch).
    You don't have to change anything, just leave it, use the throttle as Buzzsaw said, and everything will work fine.

Actually you don't need to change mixture in Spitfires or Hurricanes at all, it is just needed when you want to save fuel at altitude, which is an extremely rare situation in game.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by jorgesoo View Post
    The mix lever is at its aft position, full rich as it should be for start as the manual says.
    It is physically blocked by the throttle when it is not advanced at least half way
    The game is incorrect.... this is the way it came from the original developers.

It requires code work to fix.

We expect to fix it for TF 5.0.

Leave the mix where it is when you spawn and you'll be able to start the aircraft.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    When you spawn in, the mixture is already set correctly by default (just as the prop pitch).
    You don't have to change anything, just leave it, use the throttle as Buzzsaw said, and everything will work fine.

Actually you don't need to change mixture in Spitfires or Hurricanes at all, it is just needed when you want to save fuel at altitude, which is an extremely rare situation in game.

S!

DerDa

You are right, now I could start the engine OK, I made no changes except manually setting on the fuel cock which is off.
    And the throttle should be very slightly advanced
    Thanks

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I wonder if the pitch control at the Spitfire I version, isnt inverted, as at the Spitfire Ia version, the lever works inversely as I think it should: Lever aft: Coarse pitch, Lever forward: Fine pitch
    Although both pitch controls are diferent I think they should follow the same logic

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Yes, the prop pitch controls are inconsistent and work in different ways depending on mechanism. The CSPs on the Spits and Hurris for example are opposite in terms of control to the variable pitch props on the Bf109 and Bf110. Hopefully this will get adressed with 5.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

In case u are unaware...the Spit I is only a 2 speed prop. TF have modded it so it performs similar to how the original Spit Is did in that u could get a "pseudo" variable speed by small increments on the pitch lever. It requires a lot more attention than the true variable speed props in the Ia and II as u can overspeed the prop. U need to manage both the prop pitch and the throttle to achieve desired RPM in base Mk I.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Dawson liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

So, the real Spit I version has not a constant speed system as I a and II have ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

The very first Mk.I Spitfires had an Aero-Products fixed pitch 2 bladed wooden prop. This was eventually replaced by a 3 bladed two-pitch or variable pitch De Havilland prop and during the BoB most or many of the available Mk.I and Mk.Ia models were fitted with constant speed propellers by De Havilland or Rotol.

The Spitfire Mk.I in CloD has a 3 bladed, 2 pitch prop (fine/coarse).
    The Spitfire Mk.I 100 octane has a 3 bladed variable pitch prop (needs constant adjusting).
    The Spitfire Mk.Ia and IIa have the 3 bladed Rotol constant speed prop.
    Last edited by Karaya; May-15-2020 at 02:47.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Very clear, thanks