Thread: Is sight illumination adjustable?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Is sight illumination adjustable?

Did a quick search and did not see this posted. In the Spitfire IA is gunsight illumination adjustable? Or, on/off only? It seems to me just a bit on the bright side in some situations.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: Is sight illumination adjustable?

On/Off only even if you set key for decrease/increase gunsight illumination ( At least in the Spitfire IIa )
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Thanks Belial. Appreciate the quick response.

4. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Apparently the continuous illumination of the gunsight was an issue for Supermarine since they included replacement light bulbs for the pilot under the right glareshield in the Spitfire cockpit. Our CLoD simulator accurately depicts these bulbs in the virtual cockpit. Therefore, I make it a habit to leave the gunsight illumination OFF unless there's a realistic threat in the area.

After adopting this procedure, I noticed that it was easier to see distant objects in the front windscreen with the gunsight OFF. Even in a computer simulation, the bright gunsight reduces forward visual acuity. I have assigned the F5 key for the gunsight illumination ON/OFF toggle since it more closely approximates the position of the switch in the cockpit and requires "Reaching out" with my hand to light up the gunsight with the keyboard positioned under the forward display panel.

Just another tiny touch of realism.

I agree that dimming is the answer but we just have to live with ON/OFF as the only options available right now.
    Last edited by Baffin; May-17-2020 at 07:25.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

6. Likes Gingerbread, katschmarek liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    47.06 MB

Should be as long as the keys are mapped.