Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Germany 1945: Sensationally restored film footage by George Stevens

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Re: Germany 1945: Sensationally restored film footage by George Stevens

"Dropping the bombs could be argued to have saved both Allied and Japanese lives.",

Would the use of a nuclear weapon on Baghdad in 2003 have been justified to reduce the Allied death toll and reduce the estimated 600,000 civilian deaths in the subsequent years

It has also been argued that the Americans were anxious to test the bombs in real operations(why use the second weapon) to assess real damage to a city, otherwise why not demonstrate their power on a remote area? It has also been argued that they wanted to send a message to the Soviets and limit their expansion in the pacific region through any prolonging of the war.

The fanaticism of the Japanese troops was somewhat overstated and much of it stemmed from the fact that Allied troops did not tend to take Japanese prisoners and many that did surrender were summarily executed (a war crime, one when committed by the Japanese and Germans resulted in officers being tried and executed).
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    The fanaticism of the Japanese troops was somewhat overstated and much of it stemmed from the fact that Allied troops did not tend to take Japanese prisoners and many that did surrender were summarily executed
    Or had their bodies mutilated which of course was a very sensitive topic in general, and to the Japanese and the shinto religion in particular:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...anese_war_dead

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Felllas... while I am quite certain I could disprove some of your comments, I think we are now getting into a less productive back and forth and so will terminate this thread to avoid it becoming negative.

Thanks for your comments and thanks to the original poster... my apologies if I sidetracked the discussion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12