Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for DIY cockpit builders about instruments

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Question for DIY cockpit builders about instruments

Does anyone know a good source of information to find out the actual sizes of instruments/instrument panels in the CLOD aircraft? I'm working on 3D printing some devicelink instruments, and while I can guess and extrapolate sizes based on sitting in the cockpit, it would be nice to get the dimensions correct from the start. I'm hoping to start with some basic instruments for Spitfire, Hurricane, BF109 like airspeed, altitude, manifold pressure, temperature, etc. I'm working up a proof of concept with a microcontroller, got some stepper motors coming to test out. Going to try some X27 instrumentation steppers for instruments that don't need a full 360 degree rotation, and NEMA 8 or 11 steppers for stuff that require > 360 degrees rotation like altimeter.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

2. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Re: Question for DIY cockpit builders about instruments

A little while back there was a video posted of a guy who was building life-size replicas of aircraft and things he found interesting. Not sure if you watched the video or not, but in it he explained how he would buy a model kit, and measure the pieces; then based on the scale of the model, do math and extrapolate the full size of each component. Failing to find any documentation that would give you these sizes, this could be a viable option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Does anyone know a good source of information to find out the actual sizes of instruments/instrument panels in the CLOD aircraft? I'm working on 3D printing some devicelink instruments, and while I can guess and extrapolate sizes based on sitting in the cockpit, it would be nice to get the dimensions correct from the start. I'm hoping to start with some basic instruments for Spitfire, Hurricane, BF109 like airspeed, altitude, manifold pressure, temperature, etc. I'm working up a proof of concept with a microcontroller, got some stepper motors coming to test out. Going to try some X27 instrumentation steppers for instruments that don't need a full 360 degree rotation, and NEMA 8 or 11 steppers for stuff that require > 360 degrees rotation like altimeter.
    Our 3D guys could give you the exact measurements, but you'll understand that right now they are focused on something else.

So wait till about 2 months after we release TF 5.0 and post again... and they'll probably be able to give you the exact details.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Our 3D guys could give you the exact measurements, but you'll understand that right now they are focused on something else.

So wait till about 2 months after we release TF 5.0 and post again... and they'll probably be able to give you the exact details.
    Sounds great...I'll check back in 2 weeks (wink), I mean, 2 months.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

6. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

Did you hear that folks...... Buzzsaw says it will be released in early August. You got to pay attention around here.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Did you hear that folks...... Buzzsaw says it will be released in early August. You got to pay attention around here.
    To be clear, he said "Two months after they release TF5.0".
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

To be clear, he said "Two months after they release TF5.0".
    Yep, I was joking....

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

I have a collection of WW2 British instruments and would happily measure them for you.

I haven't got time today but will start tomorrow and post them up as I go...unless someone beats me to it!!

I will start with the boost gauge because this has the same dimensions as the circular, non-electric radiator and oil temperature gauges.

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have a collection of WW2 British instruments and would happily measure them for you.

I haven't got time today but will start tomorrow and post them up as I go...unless someone beats me to it!!

I will start with the boost gauge because this has the same dimensions as the circular, non-electric radiator and oil temperature gauges.

~S~
    Thanks! That would be great!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Nails is probably your man !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

I would agree with Highseas, especially for things like Hurricane (and Spitfire) fuel gauge, undercarriage indicator, MkVIII oxygen regulator (although I do have the gauges for one) and generally anything Hurricane.

Most general instruments I have, but my speciality is DH Mosquito which we don't have yet but it did have some special/different bits - fuel gauges, flap gauge (early type), undercarriage indicator.

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Wonder if the people at this site might be able to help (Well they would help by asking you to buy their poster I'd imagine):

https://www.davidbathe.com/instruments.html

What about getting in touch with an air museum and asking if they could measure one or a few instruments to see if you could use the measurement as a reference?

Has to be someone out there who would be willing to help.
    Last edited by farley; Jun-10-2020 at 07:28.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Hi Kendy, as promised some measurements...in mm courtesy of my trusty (?) set of calipers.

First sheet is A4 in size and are photos of a later war Boost Pressure gauge I had handy but sizes are same for all gauges of this type with minute variations between manufacturers. My earlier ones being luminous are safely out of the way.

Boost Gauge.jpg

The next sheet is just pictures of gauges (not mine) that share this particular form and measurements.

Boost Gauge - similar gauges.jpg

If pictures do not expand when clicked on please let me know and I'll try something different.

Have fun!

~S~
    Last edited by Marco; Jun-11-2020 at 10:59. Reason: Revised sheet of measurements

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Hi Kendy, as promised some measurements...in mm courtesy of my trusty (?) set of calipers.

First sheet is A4 in size and are photos of a later war Boost Pressure gauge I had handy but sizes are same for all gauges of this type with minute variations between manufacturers. My earlier ones being luminous are safely out of the way.

Attachment 47924

The next sheet is just pictures of gauges (not mine) that share this particular form and measurements.

Boost Gauge - similar gauges.jpg

If pictures do not expand when clicked on please let me know and I'll try something different.

Have fun!

~S~
    Very nice! Thanks a lot. I look forward to seeing more.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Thanks Kendy, in case you missed it I have updated the first picture in my last posting because I have added a few extra measurements.

Tonight's item is the Oil Pressure Gauge (suction gauge, early fuel pressure gauge, etc).

Because this is a luminous type it lives with its twin, wrapped up in a nice heavy gauge plastic box out of the way and is also the reason I will only take external measurements.

Oil Pressure Gauge.jpg

Enjoy.

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks Kendy, in case you missed it I have updated the first picture in my last posting because I have added a few extra measurements.

Tonight's item is the Oil Pressure Gauge (suction gauge, early fuel pressure gauge, etc).

Because this is a luminous type it lives with its twin, wrapped up in a nice heavy gauge plastic box out of the way and is also the reason I will only take external measurements.

Oil Pressure Gauge.jpg

Enjoy.

~S~
    gotta love dry flakey radium !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

19. Likes Marco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Wonder if the people at this site might be able to help (Well they would help by asking you to buy their poster I'd imagine):

https://www.davidbathe.com/instruments.html
    I think it is just a shame that with this level of work they go and mess up the very first sighting you get of the Oxygen Regulator Mk VIIIC (see left gauge...BOOST?) - right at the top (nearly) of the page and a total school boy error!

What's even worse is that I found this page a long time ago with this error and it still hasn't been corrected - at least they got it right further down the page!

Other than this, the detail seems to be absolutely fantastic.

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    gotta love dry flakey radium !
    Yup...and Granite - Cornwall's full of it!

~S~

22. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Yup...and Granite - Cornwall's full of it!

~S~
    Way back in the olden days when I was at university I was in a lecture about energy stuff. The lecturer said (quite rightlly) that the nuclear power plants in the uk had to dispose of coffee grounds as low level radioactive waste.

I raised a question.

What is the procedure if one of your employees is from Cornwall?

Never did get an answer.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Hmm...definitely food for thought...or could that be a pasty?

The Cornish are experts at two things: pastys and digging very deep holes - no offense to the Cornish, after all I married one and her pastys are 'ansome!

Before anyone starts, NO that is not a euphemism!

~S~

25. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hmm...definitely food for thought...or could that be a pasty?

The Cornish are experts at two things: pastys and digging very deep holes - no offense to the Cornish, after all I married one and her pastys are 'ansome!

Before anyone starts, NO that is not a euphemism!

~S~
    Titter !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Oil Pressure Gauge.jpg

Enjoy.

~S~
    Great detail. Thanks again!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

28. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Nice refs Marco! I'll have to add them to my Spitfire refs. Those gauges look hot.

Kendy, I'll PM you my Spit Mk1/V/IX instrument panel drawings if that helps. I made a trim gauge a while back and stopped on the Spit project. Building a heli sim from a Cessna 150 fuselage right now.

-Zeb
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jun-11-2020 at 23:43.

30. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Glad you like them Zeb.

Tonight's installment is another one of my self-isolated luminous gauges...the triple brake gauge.

Brake Pressure Gauge.jpg

Again this is a later war version, but one of the variants used in the mosquito which is why I have it!

Enjoy

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Artificial Horizon tonight - the MkIB, same dimensions as the MkI only no radium paint and much, much cheaper!

Artificial Horizon.jpg

~S~

33. Likes Kendy for the State, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Oil Pressure Gauge.jpg

Enjoy.

~S~

I'm drawing this up, but I don't see a vertical measurement for the location of the screws on the front. Center to center would be great, and I can assume they are symmetrical? For now, I'm assuming they are equidistant from the corners.
    Also, can I assume there is a plastic lens in the opening where the indicator is located. It's not open to the elements, right?

Here's what I have so far.. the gray part will be the motor/PCB/Attachment:

SpaceClaim_2020-06-14_12-29-28.png

Thanks!

Kendy
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Jun-14-2020 at 12:32.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

35. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Hi Kendy,

The screw centres line up in the horizontal and vertical planes. The smaller diagonal screws attach the brown cover to the instrument and the larger screws attach the whole thing to the panel.

From measurements I took a year ago and are on this computer and agree pretty much with the measurements I have taken for you and saving me a trip to the loft I can say that:

top screws centre line to bottom screws centre line is approx. 52.39mm
    left screws centre line to right screws centre line is approx. 20.3mm - this measurement is a touch less than I measured for you but the screw centres were all done by eye...so pretty good I feel.

Finally, yes you are quite correct, there is indeed a plastic lens/face in the opening where the indicator is.

I hope this helps you. What you've done so far looks pretty darn spot on. If I was as good I wouldn't have to buy the real thing!

Another instrument tomorrow.

~S~
    Last edited by Marco; Jun-14-2020 at 17:54.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Hi Kendy,

The screw centres line up in the horizontal and vertical planes. The smaller diagonal screws attach the brown cover to the instrument and the larger screws attach the whole thing to the panel.

From measurements I took a year ago and are on this computer and agree pretty much with the measurements I have taken for you and saving me a trip to the loft I can say that:

top screws centre line to bottom screws centre line is approx. 52.39mm
    left screws centre line to right screws centre line is approx. 20.3mm - this measurement is a touch less than I measured for you but the screw centres were all done by eye...so pretty good I feel.

Finally, yes you are quite correct, there is indeed a plastic lens/face in the opening where the indicator is.

I hope this helps you. What you've done so far looks pretty darn spot on. If I was as good I wouldn't have to buy the real thing!

Another instrument tomorrow.

~S~

Here's what I have so far. PCB size is not finalized, so some interior dimensions may change based on that. Printing some sample parts now and will adjust the firmware to calibrate the stepper. This is obviously not supposed to be a museum-quality replica...just a close-enough facsimile to give the look-and-feel when in the cockpit.
    SpaceClaim_2020-06-17_15-22-52.png SpaceClaim_2020-06-17_15-23-51.png

I'll probably work on the boost gauge next. Thanks for all your input!

Regards,

Kendy
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

38. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Looking really good Kendy!

Sorry for not posting on Monday but I saw that someone had asked a question about Coop in the Tech forum and thought it better that all interested parties get to see any replies before this thread smothers it.

Anyway, another one for you - the lowly voltmeter:

5 Voltmeter.jpg

Next posting will be an Air Speed Indicator and then the Direction Indicator.

~S~

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Looking really good Kendy!

Sorry for not posting on Monday but I saw that someone had asked a question about Coop in the Tech forum and thought it better that all interested parties get to see any replies before this thread smothers it.

Anyway, another one for you - the lowly voltmeter:

5 Voltmeter.jpg

Next posting will be an Air Speed Indicator and then the Direction Indicator.

~S~
    Is this one from a Spitfire? It doesn't look anything like the one in CLOD.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast