Thread: General Enquiry

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

General Enquiry

Hi all

I have a few questions that im hoping someone can help me with, I have recently come back to CLOD after a very long break. I am wondering if the play base for the game is still active? I understand that it will never be like the good old days where the server is maxed out but is it worth flying in CLOD again or should I venture to DCS or IL2 Great battles?

Also am I right in saying for me to fly spitfire's or 109's in DCS I have to spend roughly £100 for the plane and map

Any Info is much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read this

2. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: General Enquiry

Give it a go and decide yourself.

For me its way better. May not be for you.

It's not like your licence is going to get revoked so dip in whenever.

I took a vr flight on the DCS channel map yesterday.

And was flying cliffs again in the evening.

Will do some ww1 stuff in flying circus soon too.

Play them all Pickles.

As far as advising on your finances sim wise. No idea and if I did I'd charge you for my financial advice.

Basically my free advice:

If you have them play them. You will figure it out yourself better than anyone else will be able to.

That's about all I can offer.

Other than make sure you enjoy it. ! Nobody needs gaming trauma!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr pickles View Post

Also am I right in saying for me to fly spitfire's or 109's in DCS I have to spend roughly £100 for the plane and map
    You can possibly get away with just the planes. Caucaus map is free and i think its likely that any/many mp servers will use this for a good while if only because the Normandy Map is a bit of pig and, currently, the channel map is whole farm full of pigs when it comes to resources. Shadows (my current obsession) are also awfully rendered when you start to notice them and a real PC grinder to boot. That said for about 15 mins in the virtual day, the maps can look incredible. The problem only really exists in the remaning 11 hours 45 mins of daylight.

Night flying is pretty good although the message to turn out the lights cos theres a war on seems to have been lost on the virtual population. And forget any pretentions made about accuaracy. Just as Normandy is more Nowherdy so it is with the channel map. In certain places the maps are pretty period close but not all. I think thats a pretty big deal in something you are shelling out £40 on personally especially when you add in the map limits and what is NOT there. Im sure they will add stuff over time but there's no guarantee.

Its also important to factor in an ongoing fee to a thereapist to help you cope with the unending buggerations of DCS. That or spend £700 to spread bet the chances of one of the modules being at least 80% useable after any given patch update.

For MP also remember openbeta is the popular choice for servers which can be very problematic when OB isnt going too well (which is often the case lately). Given that new modules and features can spend several months on OB before hitting the only marginally less buggy stable release you can perhaps start to understand how OB has become the new main game.

DCS WW2 has almost now taken longer to arrive in a usable manner than WW2 lasted and is still pretty sparse and nigh on impossible to place stuff into a specific believable and well supported time period (same for the jets).

.....Which is where the period specific aircraft sets and maps of IL2 GB shine.....

IL2 GB western front isnt too shabby....... IF...... you can get past the feeling of flying over a sparse landscape seemingly modelled on fuzzy felt and those farm yard sets you used to buy in your local newsagents (the ones with the shiney plastic cows), or you can forgive a map that includes the Rhur dams but renders them as odd puddles along a river AND you can get past aircraft going all "1987" when they fly in front of clouds. If you fancy WW1 then Flying Circus is good fun but just stay away from no-mans land cos it looks like its been knitted.

On the plus side the eastern front maps are superior to their western counterpoarts and look pretty good IMO whilst the Yaks and Las are a pleasant change from Spitfires. Whilst there are no clickpits nor the depth of features Clod or DCS offers in their systems, the aircraft look great as do the cockpits although it may take you a few gos to get you eyes accustomed to the graphics which can seem a little flat and cartoony at first but soon feel right. The simplfied CEM of GB isnt to everyones tastes but, again, it becomes less and less of a "thing" as you get into the game although the JDAM esque accuracy of a supposed 1941 soviet or german bomb sight controlled by a very arade like interface is...........very silly.

What makes GB unique in the trio of combat flight sims is the Dev communcation. You will feel appreciated as a customer if thats important to you but more importantly you will also feel much less apprehensive about updates as it soon becomes apparent when you look though the weekly dev blogs that 1GCS's game engine code, whilst far from perfect and now showing its age, is more KITT than DCS's HAL 9000.

MP is pretty well populated (especially when DCS screws up) but it can be very samey though and TAW (the only real campaign server thats populated but one where the majority of the fighting is done in the forum) is singularily the worst experience of human nature ive ever had in a flight sim. Popular servers can fill up quickly but you usually dont have to wait too long for someone to spit their dummy and leave to make space. Thankfully the devs have recently given server operators the option of banning ReShade(y practices) whilst also culling the VR "its not a cheat its just even-ing up the field" over zoom of migoto.

Is it better than clod? well is more popular for sure but better? Probably yes in some ways and no in others. It feels more polished and complete but it has it own "cloddities" and some of these aint minor either (spotting, dissappearing aircraft and some very dubious flight models) and I dont think anything will beat the community of Clod in terms if just being decent human beings passing time having fun.

If i still took part in mutli player, Id likely sooner play with or against a dozen clodders than a hundred bossers any day.
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-12-2020 at 21:18.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hey Boo!!

Where ya been?

DCS / LI2... etc !!

Good to know you are still around man!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

6. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I am indeed still a round man.

Im here and there. A bit of DCS (mainly a bit of why the ...isnt that working now DCS) interspered with a little gobbing off on the forums here and there but what little spare time i have now is spent mistakenly shooting people in face in RDR2 when i just mean to say "hello".

Hope your doing well mate and you still got your David Essex good looks.....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

8. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

At this point the population of the CLIFFS OF DOVER BLITZ servers is relatively low.

We do expect that to pick up when we release TF 5.0, the Desert War Expansion. (see our Updates section)

Hi all

I have a few questions that im hoping someone can help me with, I have recently come back to CLOD after a very long break. I am wondering if the play base for the game is still active? I understand that it will never be like the good old days where the server is maxed out but is it worth flying in CLOD again or should I venture to DCS or IL2 Great battles?

Any Info is much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read this

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

I would say that is correct. I purchased the Spitfire, Mustang, WWII Assets Pack, and the Normandy map for $120CDN (roughly £70) and that was with 50% off. Regular price was $240CDN (£141) DCS products tend to go on sale somewhat regularly, so I waited until the sale to buy.

Unfortunately, I was not very pleased with the flight modeling or the damage modeling and have given up on DCS. I've played with the "curves" to get a more stable flight model but I still feel like a boxer in a ring with the way it "bobs and weaves." The complexity of the startup procedures is pretty cool and the graphics a fair, which is why I invested in the SIM. But for the hours I've put into learning how to operate this SIM and the "fun & enjoyment" do not equate. So I've given up on it for now.

I've been flying Cliffs of Dover Blitz since September 2018 and have logged over 1200 hours and I'm still amazed by this SIM. The flight model is fantastic, the damage model is spectacular, and the community is great. I'm not sure what it was like in its "glory days" but the events that get put on every now and then draws an incredible crowd. And as mentioned, with the new release about to happen, it's an exciting time to get back into it.

IMHO, save your money .... invest in honing your skills in Cliffs of Dover Blitz .... get involved in a squadron and the community. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    I
    Hope your doing well mate and you still got your David Essex good looks.....
    You know it!

And

Red Dead Redemption II is epic!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Padre View Post
    IMHO, save your money .... invest in honing your skills in Cliffs of Dover Blitz .... get involved in a squadron and the community. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Yep.

DCS is great.

But.... Padre has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

He is a far better financial advisor than I could ever hope to be.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

13. Likes Mr pickles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

As a 'backer' of the game from long time ago, I have two DCS aircraft and the Normandy map plus assets for free.

I tried it various times and clicking all those buttons was cool. But flying a FW 190 alone one the 20th cent Caucasus map seemed pretty pointless.

Then the Normandy map was released and even with lowest settings it was like looking at a small childrens comic book page for page.
    I've got a pretty decent machine right now, but I did not even bother to install anything but CloD (and old Il2 1946 because about once a year I get nostalgic), because there is everything I want and like, which means not only the game but also the community to go with it.
    Also own BoS and never play it.

If you think the servers are not too populated, well then just join one and lo! the numbers will be up
    Seriously, we experienced it over and over again: as soon as you join a server like Axis vs. Allies within short time other players will join you.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa;3551!!

If you think the servers are not too populated, well then just join one and lo! the numbers will be up
    Seriously, we experienced it over and over again: as soon as you join a server like Axis vs. Allies within short time other players will join you.

S!

DerDa
    So true!

And realistically you only need a few others.. 3 even.. to make it epic.

Most games that have "massive player numbers" limt the amount to 10 per session anyway.

In red dead redemption on line I've never seen more than 4 in any session.

I was in alone last night. 15 minutes in we were 8.

Nice!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

16. Likes Mr pickles, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Spend the few bucks to fly blitz come join us on comms with discord or teamspeak each server running multiplayer has instructions either on their web site of the particular squadron or on the forums like here in ATAG. The TWC_Squadron uses Discord and teamspeak so either will welcome you. Fly with like minded people with certain goals or aspirations in a squad or group and I believe you will have found Sim that lets you get quite immersed.

Some Squads fly strictly Red as in TWC's case and some blue only like JG/4. Atags, DevilDogs, TWCPractice/TEST server all offer the choice to fly either side. Whereas TWC Campaign Server offers you the chance for a 113 day career with only 2 choices RED/Blue for the duration of the Conflict(113 days). It offers you a chance to fly in an accurate and dangerous environment world where your actions can matter in the big picture and you can experience life as a RAF pilot or Axis pilot would have. No moving map, limited aircraft earned by skill alone, a death penalty that takes you out of the action(lucky for you its only 3 min long) all designed to let you experience life as it was. Flak so thick you can walk on it, bandits that are on the very edge of skill or like some as they begin a true rookie, AI that can be deadly if you make a mistake.

Communications make or break simulations and IMHO multiplayer games that have great communities usually somewhere have communications that work and are frequented by the players. Remember Communication, Navigation, then Aviation is how you learn and how to have fun in the TWC Server.

So come join in grab a mic and suit up but most of all have fun <S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi all

I just want to say thankyou all for the feedback I really do appreciate it.

i've decided after last night on CLOD that im going to stick with it and hone in my Skills as having roughly 3 years away from it I need a lot of practice and Blitz was still very enjoyable
    Last edited by Mr pickles; Jun-13-2020 at 08:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Onya Mr Pickles. Great choice I say!

Looking forward to flying with or against you soon.

Cheers,

Pattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Hi all

I just want to say thankyou all for the feedback I really do appreciate it.

i've decided after last night on CLOD that im going to stick with it and hone in my Skills as having roughly 3 years away from it I need a lot of practice and Blitz was still very enjoyable
    Its very easy to knock Clod and reading some posts elsewhere you'd be forgiven to think its an oddity in an otherwise perfect sim world. It isnt. All the main CFS products have issues and none of them contain only minor ones. Its odd but I never got bored of even the limited number of MP maps in clod, even after 3000hrs. Cant say why but there was always something different to do and that little bit of freedom to do it. In BOS thats often not the case as a result of the limited targets and map sizes. Some prefer that so im not saying its a bad thang just that it didnt appeal greatly to me.

Certainly for MP clod is as good (if not better in many ways) than anything else with the added bonus that you get to try and shoot down Highseas and tagalonga Drock. And sunday morning FG28 come to play as only FG28 can. Whats not to like?!

(puts down joystick and resists hitting the Steam icon....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Mr P...or should I say Timbo? It was great fun flying with you last night on the ATAG Server and having a chat about sims in general. I like to think that you felt your old skills were fast returning, after we encontered those two high flying 109's, feet wet off, Littlestone? I could certainly tell from your situational awareness you were no 'newbie!' And those 109 pilots were no slouches! It was great fun! Come back and join in the fun again, soon!

Yes, the servers are a little quiet at the moment but as Buzzsaw says above, we expect many pilots to return, once the North African campaign knocks us silly with excitement! But even now there is a hardcore unit of us, who still fly regularly on the CLoD servers. You met a few last night. I think, in truth, though we try to populate the ATAG server as often as possible (just being there encourages others to join. Often we're all waiting for each other!) we go where the numbers are because, as Fatal says, we want the communication and cooperation that goes with flying together.

Which brings us to this CLoD Community of ours. It's unique....it's close....it's supportive and still respectful in a world that can be quite harsh. When I started flying in 2015 it was a vid (The ACG's magnificent 'The beginning of the End.') that finally brought me into multiplayer...but it was the strength of the online Community that kept me here...and it still does! It doesn't really matter which server you favour or which Squadron you join/not join, we're all in this for the same reasons. We're all one....and I don't need to go anywhere else!

The chaps above have given you great advice. I have often come close to buying DCS and Great battles, etc, but have always desisted. Probably because my rig is now 5 years old and probably would struggle to handle some of those energy sapping sims. So I keep my rig 'clean' for just one sim...and for me that's CLoD!

It's great you found us again! Looking forward to 'winging up' soon. Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    .but it was the strength of the online Community that kept me here...
    Sugar puff??

All this time I thought it was me.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

23. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Mr Pickles,

You won't go far wrong playing either Clod or DCS or both! but in answer to your original question to get setup on DCS at present you will need to spend about $62 , Spit mk IX $25, Normandy map $22.49 and the WWII Assets pack, so something in the region of $62 which you will have to convert into real money. These are reduced aswell as they have seasonal half price sales which are currently on.

Multiplayer numbers are limited to what servers/missions are running but it has been maxed out at weekends during BST evenings 50/50 in LFDM and an Extra 20-30 in the Storm of War (Philstyle) room. He caters more for the historical types and LFDM caters for Fighting. This is the jungle though so probably best to get some of those old skills back and a wingman or squadron to go with if you don't want to practice your cold starts over and over.

When TFS releases Tobruk I'm sure many of us will want to get some action in the desert theatre.

I have Great Battles also but really couldn't get into that for several reasons, it just seems cheap and nasty compared to these other two games.

Ask yourself what you get most enjoyment out of when flying WW2 aircraft and then I think you will have your answer. I could contradict a few points in this thread but I won't compare Apples and Oranges.

All the best.

Bruv
    ~S~

25. Likes Mr pickles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Maybe I'm too much of the " old school " but I think the following:

Every game could be " the better " or " the worst " this is very depending on the player preferences and expetations.
    I think that comparing different games it's not a lot useful for anyone...If you like a game do your best to support it and enjoy it at the most that you can but never belittle another game simply because it doesn't suit your preferences.

Personally speaking I prefer CloD for one simple motive that is not linked directly to the game itself.

IMHO CloD is the only one that have a real gentle, friendly and " united " community.
    During the course of my " virtual pilot online career " I've met most of my best friends here. People that I respect and that I admire both in the game and in real life.
    This community is special, IMHO.
    That's what, at least for me, makes the real difference from anything else I've tried so far in the last 20 years.
    I prefer to play CloD with few friends around than having to deal with a full server engulfed by a mass of 14 years old kids angry and toxic. ( ...and I can assure you that you don't need to have 100 people around on a server to have a lot of amusement )
    I can endure everything but not the loss of mutal respect among virtual pilots!
    Maybe I'm wrong but I consider the virtual pilots lurking around here as a sort of " family ".
    As said, maybe I'm too old, but the attitude under this aspect, of the new generations is often appalling outside here. Or at least it's not for me.
    I try to give respect to the others playing with me, I pretend simply the same.
    If you can't cope with this...well...there, there is the door to exit...We'll meet again one day...in hell !!!...buahahahahahh....* loud laughter and satanic grin while he flies away...
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jun-21-2020 at 07:07.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Well said, Belial! I couldn't agree more!

I'm sure a great many of us who fly CLoD, recognise and agree with what you're saying here but we maybe struggle to put it into such clear, eloquent language! Salute!