Thread: ATAG server missions frame rate issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

ATAG server missions frame rate issues

There's been an increase in action on the Axis / Allies server over the past few weeks. In this time there's been issues on every map with crashed aircraft, or more precisely parts of crashed aircraft not de-spawning. A mere speck in the ocean sometimes. But this causes heavy 'slide show' frame rate hits over a given zone. Efforts to strafe or bomb these have not resulted in their de-spawn. Sometimes the 'zone' can be avoided, but as it's commonly found in the sea near to a target convoy for eg it's hard to avoid for either side.

Similarly on the DD server I've seen heavy fps hits with abandoned a/c not de-spawning at airfields , I've not been there in a while so unsure if it's been addressed. It's common to see abandoned a/c on ATAG airfields, but without frame hits. Maybe it's simply the recent activities on ATAG, being more strategic than straight forward dog fighting that has seen more a/c crashing near targets ? Being a veteran Blennie casulty over Axis airfields and convoys I've not experienced this until now. Or maybe there's something new going on.

Just observations, I aint moaning.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-19-2020 at 10:56.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Re: ATAG server missions frame rate issues

It still does happen on the DangerDogz server.

But less often - I have most AI bombers now landing at bases further to the East, in France - on larger airfields.
    This way they crash land less often, and when they do, they are further away from where most humans are flying around.

Have been looking into some coding to properly remove them, but my knowledge of C# is rather limited, and most attempts had rather undesirable results, like mid air removal of damaged a/c ... lol

So, in the end what I did is try and prevent the situation from occurring - it did help some, but the problem is still there ... And indeed, the more action and a/c, the more you will see it happen...

3. Likes Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Thanks for the response. Actually after thinking on it I need to revise my initial post that it's a/c crashed into the sea that's the issue, not necessarily a volume of crashed or abandoned a/c on an airfield as I'd noted in DD, being Hawkinge in particular. And to refine things further contrary to the issue of volume, it's simply 1 a/c, or more particularly a tail-fin for eg, just a few hard to spot pixels that kills the frame rate over a large radius. Not being able to see beneath the surface perhaps it's an a/c flopping about as sometimes seen on land.

If it were a consistent volume issue then our high number of wrecked Blennies over Bembridge IOW for eg would bring that map to its knees in short order. I can't remember it ever being an issue there though dying a thousand flak related deaths.

Still not moaning. Appreciation for all efforts put into this for the rest of us to enjoy.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-20-2020 at 09:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Thanks Dazza,

If possible, I think a track would help the devs look into it.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Well, it's not all a/c that crash into land or sea that cause the issue... only a few.

I think it has something to do with how the a/c crashes, how damaged it was, and at what moment in time the pilot leaves the a/c, and how. Like it could make a difference if someone leaves the a/c and picks a new one, or if that someone just hits exit and leaves the server/game. It's all a bit unclear - to me at least

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Are you getting any exceptions in your log file?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Well, it's not all a/c that crash into land or sea that cause the issue... only a few.

I think it has something to do with how the a/c crashes, how damaged it was, and at what moment in time the pilot leaves the a/c, and how. Like it could make a difference if someone leaves the a/c and picks a new one, or if that someone just hits exit and leaves the server/game. It's all a bit unclear - to me at least

I see some consistency here. On ATAG if I spawn in the wrong a/c type, or pop out to re-set fuel etc , I return in another and my original a/c remains throughout the the map run. There's been instances where there's been at least 3 of me on an airfield including the 'live' me. Definitely confuses others. Obviously they're not de-spawning.

There are those who habitually exit / re-enter the server when shot down, I'm unclear why.
    There are those (esc) exiting their a/c before it crashes, or flying a bombing mission and (esc) exiting rather than flying home - which then labels it as 'AI'. I reckon you're on to something with these.

As I think on it more the last IOW map actually had players reporting slide-show fps at the mouth of the Southampton estuary.

I really should think over things more if I'm going to report 'issues' hehe. I'd be pretty bloody useless as a witness on the stand !

But in general these are current experiences that I don't recall happening before. Though I'm not proving my memory to be exactly brilliant !

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-20-2020 at 15:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Currently I'm on ATAG map Steamworks 1.0.0 experimenting at Rochford.

I spawn in, ESC and respawn with a new a/c then Spits / Hurris / Tigermoths are de-spawning (AI is dead mssg) within a minute or so. All is good.

However Blenhiem and Beaufighter are not de-spawning even after an hour. Currently I have 2 of each filling a hangar trying to turn over their engines. They all have typical 'abandoned' port wing damage and I'm able to enter all positions from the main menu.

I destroyed a couple with Bofors and they de-spawned. Those within the hangars remain.

Perhaps it's the Me110 / Ju88 having a similar issue not de-spawning after crashing into the sea ? They are typically seen as attack a/c used in anti shipping.

Just further observations & trying to help.

ADDITIONAL: I just rejoined almost 2 hrs late they're still there.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-21-2020 at 12:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post

I watched some video from recent Axis / Allies server and saw repeated use of (ALT F2) abandoning of aircraft. I assume this is what you're on about ?

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-21-2020 at 12:52.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I watched some video from recent Axis / Allies server and saw repeated use of (ALT F2) abandoning of aircraft. I assume this is what you're on about ?

Daz
    Maybe... every now and then, when I see a semi-damaged a/c on a runway, I tend to jump in, take control with Alt-F1 - usually, something then happens to the a/c, or I make it get some more damage, like raise the gear and then I leave it using Alt-F2. It usually de-spawns after two minutes ...

But, it is still unclear to me what really is going wrong ...
    EDIT: This on DD server...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Things I've noted about this while playing on the DD server:

- The aircraft generating the heavy FPS loss in always an AI

- The FPS loss affect an area of about 5-6 knm around the aircraft of interests. When you exit that area the FPS drop stops and the game run again as per normal.

- I've noted that when this happen the AI aircraft is alway located on one of the far sides of the airfield where he have landed.

- The aircraft suffering this roll around continuosly and very quickly in the same place.

- No way to destroy it, even bombing it

- It happens only when a lot of aircraft are attempting to land at the same airfield ( 8+ )

IMHO this is what happens: The AI aircraft land then attempts to park. When it get outside of what the game considers the airfield spawn area, for some reason, the AI/game code loses control/runs into some exceptions over the AI aircraft that remains stuck on the first spot where the game code have previously lost the control of it, rolling continuosly on the spot because probably the game code generates, at the same time this occours, a very fast series/or infinite of aircraft directions/coordinates ( another hypothesis, more credible IMHO, is that the aircraft assumes this behaviour because, once this happens, it has no more any waypoint left attached to it, so the game code of the AI goes crazy because aircraft must have at least one waypoint ). The fast roll speed or the " stuck game code " is what is generating the FPS heavy drop.
    The 5-6 km area in which the heavy FPS occurs is probably linked to the rendering bubble that has been set with the player aircraft as center.
    Notice in fact that the visual bubble around the player aircraft and the area affected by the heavy FPS heavy drop, coincidentally, have almost the same size. Just a guess.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jun-22-2020 at 01:28.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

13. Likes Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Thanks Belial, your thoughts are expanding on what I'm seeing. Though for consistency I've been recording things on the ATAG server in the past few weeks, but they all relate.

The videos I watched on current ATAG maps showed repeated / habitual use of ALT F2 to exit the player aircraft.

Using ALT F2 out of an a/c puts it back under AI control ? I assume so as I'll see 'AI is dead / crashed' etc messages. But if that a/c is not totally destroyed as in a water landing / crash perhaps it's spinning beneath the surface out of sight - as per your description, and the frame rate goes with it.

Add to that my experiments and observations that player controlled multi engine, (or perhaps more importantly 'multi position') aircraft on both sides are not de-spawning after abandoning. (NOTE I've not experimented with this on DD).

Hopefully I'm not simply reciting info that is well known to script writers and considered an annoyance. Not moaning, just trying to help with my very limited understanding.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-22-2020 at 12:27.

15. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Using ALT F2 out of an a/c puts it back under AI control ?
    Correct. Very briefly said the chain is:

Into aircraft --> ALT F2 ---> plane left by the player --> AI takes control --> The types of despawns Ai are two: game default or script inserted by the mission builder/server owner ( The most used probably ).
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

17. Likes Dazza liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    Correct. Very briefly said the chain is:

Into aircraft --> ALT F2 ---> plane left by the player --> AI takes control --> The types of despawns Ai are two: game default or script inserted by the mission builder/server owner ( The most used probably ).
    On the DD server, it's both. Game Default removes a/c that have landed properly.

Crashed aircraft are being removed via a bit of code, they get removed some two minutes past their 'base.OnAircraftCrashLanded' event ...

(Funny story on the use of earlier scripts; One was there that would remove all landed a/c, whether AI or Human. Now every now and then, we had people suddenly being out of their aircraft. Poof! Randomly it seemed. Until it had happened so many times, that someone noted it seem to happen like a fixed time after take off... and I realized what really triggered it: When you take off, and try and do that with a bit of a low speed, you may bump back onto the ground ... and yes, that would start the normal OnAircraftLanded event ... lol ... So I quickly removed that bit of code)

19. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders, Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Thanks for all the response. Not that I understand the 1st thing on script writing hehe.

I wonder what it is that separates the single engine from twin engine so far as de-spawning is concerned ? Or does it have more to do with the 'multi-position' aspect ? Maybe I'll test again on both servers when it's quiet. I don't want to be a dick cluttering up an airfield with abandoned a/c.

Perhaps this is a known issue all along ? Can't say I recall it being so after all the Blenheims I've spawned in.

Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

I popped into DD server while it was quiet and spawned in at Lee On Solent. I leave the a/c and return in another. The prior Hurri / Spit de-spawn after a cpl minutes, as you described. The Blenheim however taxis out, takes off and flies a circuit around the airfield for maybe 10-15 minutes before de-spawning. I assume different rules apply for multi engine / multi position a/c.

Earlier on ATAG a pilot ALT F2 out of his stricken Me110 which crashed into the sea, with parts visible and proceeded to thrash about for the remainder of the game. Not a total slide show, but it did drop fps locally.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-23-2020 at 17:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

I popped into DD server while it was quiet and spawned in at Lee On Solent. I leave the a/c and return in another. The prior Hurri / Spit de-spawn after a cpl minutes, as you described. The Blenheim however taxis out, takes off and flies a circuit around the airfield for maybe 10-15 minutes before de-spawning. I assume different rules apply for multi engine / multi position a/c.
    My guess is that there could be something wrong with the custom script used on the server about aircraft despawn. As far as I know there should be no difference between how fighters and bombers are despawned if the script is correctly set/wrote. The other guess that comes to my mind is that there could be maybe something not working as planned related to the AI bomber/twin engine aircraft landing routine even if the script is correct.

Earlier on ATAG a pilot ALT F2 out of his stricken Me110 which crashed into the sea, with parts visible and proceeded to thrash about for the remainder of the game. Not a total slide show, but it did drop fps locally.
    This is a well known bug but it has nothing to do about how an aircraft despawns ( If I remember corretly this should be something linked to a hardcoded issue present in the aircraft DM )
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jun-23-2020 at 22:02.

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

On DD server, I noticed several times the following:

When I fly my crippled and barely flying G50 back to Wyssant, I land, switch my engine off, then hit ESC and respawn in a new aircraft.
    First those who shot at me get the kill even though I landed safely... (*)
    Then, the AI takes over my abandoned plane, turns the engine back on, takes off and circles around Wyssant. Even in a very damaged aircraft...
    And like dazza was saying, I often had several instances of my G50 (recognizable by my special skin) flying around Wyssant. I assume that they circle until they run out of fuel or the damaged engine fails completely?

(*) the kill does not seem to be accounted for when a plane crash lands at sea...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jun-24-2020 at 00:54.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    On DD server, I noticed several times the following:

When I fly my crippled and barely flying G50 back to Wyssant, I land, switch my engine off, then hit ESC and respawn in a new aircraft.
    First those who shot at me get the kill even though I landed safely... (*)
    Then, the AI takes over my abandoned plane, turns the engine back on, takes off and circles around Wyssant. Even in a very damaged aircraft...
    And like dazza was saying, I often had several instances of my G50 (recognizable by my special skin) flying around Wyssant. I assume that they circle until they run out of fuel or the damaged engine fails completely?

(*) the kill does not seem to be accounted for when a plane crash lands at sea...
    Yes, after landing and leaving your a/c (whether via Esc or Alt-F2 does not seem to matter) does give control to AI, it will try and take off, do a circuit and land again. And then de-spawn. This is all standard scripting, and I had used scripts to prevent AI from taking over, but those had other nasty effects. So, this behavior is normal, and no problem.