Re: Careful with skip bombing!

He forgot to set the fuse to 14 days!

3. Likes ATAG_Oskar, Ceaser87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Snargle, where are you?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

looks like footage of bouncing bomb tests of Dambusters fame, dose any one know for sure?, not included in Barnes Wallace movie for obvious reasons?
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Poor fellows must have had "sudden quick" or "point detonating" fuse on that one.
    In game, even a 1 second fuse over water is not enough of a delay to leave you undamaged if you don't pull up and away immediately.
    Even then you will be damaged.
    Over land, at 250 mph a 1 second fuse works gloriously in self defence mode.

In 1 second, a Bloated Blennie doing 250 mph will travel more than 100 yards. Any bomb dropped does not slow from 250 mph to 0 at the first bounce on the ground.
    It is slowed enough however to allow the Bloated Blennie to escape whilst the 109 driver enjoys the consequences of his tailgating.

Dropping the 250 lb bomb at 250 mph over water does not work so well. The Bloated Blennie Brigade has found that having a ship to shield you from the blast
    will work with 1 second fuses over water. Although wires and other superstructure on the ship can be a vexation of the spirit.

Disposing of 109s over water requires other measures.
    Bloated Blennie Gangbangs have produced some promising results.
    Research and trials continue apace
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

7. Likes DerDa, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I'm not sure the bomb exploded. I think it bounced and hit the tail.
    If I'm correct, what seems like an explosion is the splash from both the bomb and the tail hitting the water.

9. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    I'm not sure the bomb exploded. I think it bounced and hit the tail.
    If I'm correct, what seems like an explosion is the splash from both the bomb and the tail hitting the water.
    Now you've done it.
    I've spent the last 10 minutes expanding the screen and advancing frame by frame as slowly as my mouse
    and caffeine addled finger allows.

I thought I could see the empennage bent upward before it came off the plane.
    I may be hallucinating but it also appears that the splash or explosion briefly towered twice the height of the plane for a moment.
    Verrrry interesting
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Well, I think in this frame you can see the unexploded bomb/barrel:

Untitled.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Well, I think in this frame you can see the unexploded bomb/barrel:

Untitled.jpg
    Yes indeed.
    It can be seen to catch up to the aircraft that dropped it. Pass upward through the empennage and over the height of the plane without slowing down at all.
    I think some extra energy over the initial momentum would be needed.
    In game, our 40 lb pipe bombs can be seen to scoot ahead of our Blennies when dropped on water as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

That thing is most likely a highball bomb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncing_bomb#Highball

In January 1945, at the Vickers experimental facility at Foxwarren, near Cobham, Surrey, a Douglas A-26 Invader of the USAAF was adapted to carry two Highballs almost completely enclosed in the bomb bay, using parts from a Mosquito conversion. After brief flight testing in the UK, the kit was sent to Wright Field, Ohio and installed in an A-26C Invader. Twenty-five inert Highballs, renamed "Speedee" bombs, were also sent for use in the USAAF trials. Drop tests were carried out over Choctawhatchee Bay near Eglin Field, Florida but the programme was abandoned, after the bomb bounced back at A-26C-25-DT Invader 43-22644 on Water Range 60, causing loss of the rear fuselage and a fatal crash on 28 April 1945.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Speaking of bouncy bombs.....this has been around awhile.
    The 50 BMG bullet (or fragment of) returns 180 degrees to knock him in the noggin'.
    To me it seemed to defy all logic and or physics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id725.html

USAF Douglas Invader with 'Highball / Speedee' bomb. This page describes these trials.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-25-2020 at 11:00.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    looks like footage of bouncing bomb tests of Dambusters fame, dose any one know for sure?, not included in Barnes Wallace movie for obvious reasons?
    The weapon was, like its more famous cousin the Upkeep mine (the bouncing bomb), designed by Barnes Wallis primarily as a lighter anti shipping mine for the Navy to use aginst capital ships at anchor primarily. Its pupose was to skip over the torp nets, sink under the target and break its back with the effects of the blast pressure under water. Churchills obsession with the Tirpitz saw that it was developed but for the RAF and, ultimately it was another Wallis bomb the "Tallboy", along with improved bomb aiming from altitude that did for the Tirpitz.

If you think this footage is hard to watch you should try the Highball inspired film "Mosquito Squadron" (not to be confused with 633 Squadron). The proposterous premise of the plot alone is enough to make you weep but the effects, even for a british film in the 60s are gobsmackingly naff.
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-27-2020 at 14:39.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snarglepuss View Post

Speaking of bouncy bombs.....this has been around awhile.
    The 50 BMG bullet (or fragment of) returns 180 degrees to knock him in the noggin'.
    To me it seemed to defy all logic and or physics.
    This guy should buy a lottery ticket, what are the chances of at ricochet traveling directly back the initial firing vector? zero i would think? any Physicists out there please help
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Ive just completed a training couse on recognising and making firearms environments safe. Very limited and very much a "dont even try with da gun" kinda thing. Anyhow what i did learn is that the non bangy end is only marginally less dangerous than the bangy end and that the nasty bit that comes out of it has a mind of its own. Given all of this im really surprised they caught on TBH. Cant realy go wrong with a pointy stick.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    This guy should buy a lottery ticket, what are the chances of at ricochet traveling directly back the initial firing vector? zero i would think? any Physicists out there please help
    Having placed my Cap Of Thinking firmly upon my poor bald pate...I offer to postulate the following postulation.

1. Silly fellows place a steel target downrange from where they will shoot. The target is placed upon the ground or partially buried in it. There is a whistling whistley thingy on the ground or below it touching or close to
    the base of the steel target.

2. Silly fellow shoots a .50 calibre, 750 grain bullet which travels downrange and strikes the steel target with great vigour like 50 calibre projectiles are known to do. I postulate it struck the upper portion of the steel
    target. I further postulate that there was unknown to the silly fellows an axis or pivot point around which the steel target could rotate. This axis was at right angles to the direction of the bullet travel.

3. As the steel target was struck, the top portion was moved backward in the same direction as the bullet travelled whilst the bottom portion rotated forward around the axis or pivot point in the opposite direction of the
    bullet. The bottom portion of the steel target then contacted the whistling whistley thingy with sufficient force to launch it back toward the silly fellow, bouncing it off the ground in front of him before knocking off his
    hearing protection thingy.

4. As we do not see the target in the video or know its qualities, I leave open to speculation that the whistling whistley thingy may have been a part of the steel target that was broken off the bottom portion of the target
    and launched 180 degrees to the path of the bullet which struck the target with such force and vigour.

I concede my postulation does not stand if there was no axis or pivot point around which the target could have rotated. None are shown in the video. I merely submit this as an alternative to the possibility that the silly fellow was struck by his bullet or any fragment thereof.

Addendum To The Above Postulation:
    I have found that when my alcohol consumption goes up,
    the size and comfortable fit of my Cap Of Thinking goes down.
    This too seems to defy all logic and physics.
    I submit its validity to any who may wish challenge or refute this.
    (I have on occasion discovered that my gaming headset is subject to an identical form of shrinkage.)

20. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Or there could have been a tear in the time\space continuum and a rabbit in an alternative universe, similarly armed with a Barrett 0.50 rifle, returned fire?