Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: controllers for trim

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

controllers for trim

I'm currently using various hat switches on my Joystick for controlling rudder and elevator trim, i find it takes a lot of single imputs to adjust trim and was thinking of getting a controller using axes, like the saitek quanrant controller, to use on trim, prop control and rads. any thoughts, are any of you using a similar setup, your opinions would be welcome
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

2. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Re: controllers for trim

I also use the hat switch. The x52 throttle hat up/down for elevator and left/right rudder trim. I like that it's readily at hand (finger actually) and it don't need a much input. Somewhere around 10-12 taps nose down for Hurri / Spit level flight. The most required is the Beaufighter. Generally I don't count taps, I hold it and eyeball the various elevator trim gauges in the aircraft, and adjust rudder as required watching the slip needle. I used to have bindings for 'neutral' settings but as I can see the gauges it was moot. I think I'd find something like the Saitek quadrant a bit cumbersome, but then again maybe more immersive if flying a multi engine heavy aircraft.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-24-2020 at 19:06.

4. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Jack, I use three Saitek throttle quadrants (two on my left side and one on the right), and for me they add a lot to the immersion.

I fly single engine in the sims, and also the P-38 in the Great battles series, and use them for throttle, prop pitch, fuel mixture, flaps (works perfectly for the P-38 flaps), landing gear, cowlings, etc.
    Also have two Saitek trim wheels which, for me, add to the immersion.

Having said that, I really enjoy seeing what others are making at home and they inspire me to try to do some home made builds, likely after I retire (hopefully in the next year or two).

I started out using a CH throttle, but prefer the Saitek for the options it gives due to the number of sliders it has.

The other options I have seen have been very expensive, whereas buying these over time did not feel like a large outlay of money.
    Last edited by farley; Jun-25-2020 at 08:58.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

6. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I have two Saitek quads and two CH quads. But for trim I also have the Saitek Side Panel which has a small joystick. It moves up and down, side to side and twists for rudder trim. I also like having all those other switches.

https://www.saitek.com/uk/prod-bak/farmside.html

8. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

GVL224 have the best solution - made by order, features customization* (at some degree), queue ~3 mounts.

* For example, you can order the above trim console without the Landing Gear lever if want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAt1QUapY1Y

Or have the trims whells in individual modules, see in this "IL-2" controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33d7sloiM8

Other products: https://www.youtube.com/user/GVL224/videos

Sales topics in SimHQ, IL2sturmovik, DCS forums.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jun-25-2020 at 10:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

In addition to my Thrustmaster Warthog, I use an old, Saitek X-52 system for trim and landing gear control. It allows you to add buttons and switches lower left and lower right of my seat so I must move my hands in a realistic manner: Elevator trim with the left hand, gear control with the right. Possibilities are endless and the price is right.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

11. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JackMaXX View Post
    I'm currently using various hat switches on my Joystick for controlling rudder and elevator trim, i find it takes a lot of single imputs to adjust trim and was thinking of getting a controller using axes, like the saitek quanrant controller, to use on trim, prop control and rads. any thoughts, are any of you using a similar setup, your opinions would be welcome
    I made one using 5 turn potentiometers with wheels attached. Used an arduino leonardo board.

Teensy micro is cheaper tbough and basically does the same thing.
    Check out the diy peripherals thread.

Its nothing like as hard as it seems.

Basically i have actual trim wheels and it cost me about £10

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

13. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Thanks for all the tips, I think i will go with the saitec quadrants contols for the moment, reasonable cost and more important for me they are plug and play, unfortunately my electronic skills are on a par with my piloting skills . some of the controllers shown in 1lokos's post look really interesting, perhaps for some time in the future
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks for all the tips, I think i will go with the saitec quadrants contols for the moment, reasonable cost and more important for me they are plug and play, unfortunately my electronic skills are on a par with my piloting skills . some of the controllers shown in 1lokos's post look really interesting, perhaps for some time in the future
    1Lokos told me how to set up the arduino board.

You can make your own stuff for pennies. Taylor made. Cheap. And better!

Trust yourself. And ask away!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

16. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    GVL224 have the best solution - made by order, features customization* (at some degree), queue ~3 mounts.

* For example, you can order the above trim console without the Landing Gear lever if want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAt1QUapY1Y

Or have the trims whells in individual modules, see in this "IL-2" controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33d7sloiM8

Other products: https://www.youtube.com/user/GVL224/videos

Sales topics in SimHQ, IL2sturmovik, DCS forums.
    Classy!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    1Lokos told me how to set up the arduino board.

You can make your own stuff for pennies. Taylor made. Cheap. And better!

Trust yourself. And ask away!
    read both your threads on DIY peripherals. The bicycle brake lever adaptation on joystick was interesting and finished product was impressive, I think however I would have created a broken brake lever and a broken joystick and burned myself with a soldering iron in the process. I bottled it and took the easy option and ordered the saitec quadrant on amazon, I'll let you know how i get on.

19. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

An DIY trim wheel (for elevator) with 3D print parts, using AMS AS5600 sensor, that can have the "electric working angle" programmed, but instead can use a conventional 270º potentiomter, or a 3/5 turn model.

https://robdobson.com/2017/04/flight-trim/

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Marco, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

An DIY trim wheel (for elevator) with 3D print parts, using AMS AS5600 sensor, that can have the "electric working angle" programmed, but instead can use a conventional 270º potentiomter, or a 3/5 turn model.

https://robdobson.com/2017/04/flight-trim/
    Nice! interesting bit about the rotary sensor.

I wanted to make my trim wheels with hall sensors. but finding a multi turn hall for anything like a reasonable cost was... well... I haven't found one.

My cheapo 5 turn pots are made in China. They cost pennies... and work extreamly well.

They do spike.. no denying it... (and that can be a pain when you want to bind a control and they are still dancing the light fandango all on their own... SELECT ME ME ME !) But the spike level is low and has no noticable effect in game.

I think I paid £5 for four of them delivered (one spare just in case !)

bottom line... for this application they are absolutely perfect...

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

23. Likes Marco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

read both your threads on DIY peripherals. The bicycle brake lever adaptation on joystick was interesting and finished product was impressive, I think however I would have created a broken brake lever and a broken joystick and burned myself with a soldering iron in the process. I bottled it and took the easy option and ordered the saitec quadrant on amazon, I'll let you know how i get on.
    Both? i must have written 5 at least !

most likely put them in the wrong corner of the forum !

Nails, Marco, 1Lokos, Zeb, Kendy (in no particular order) are the real heros.

and most likely others I forgot mention

some of these guys have done incredible things !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

My DIY controllers: Based on a lunch box (really, one click and it opens, and one can eaisly reach the Bodnar board and all wires - I need to do that frequently, buttons wear out, wires brake loose... oh well)

The stick is a Microsoft FFB2, with the handle of a Guillemot Forcefeedback stick on it, it's twist potentiometer moved next to the (original) throttle lever.

Basically, it all works! lol.

2012-08-15 17.54.55.jpg

Got home built pedals as well, haven't got a good picture of them though... and they really do not look like anything anyways ... oh, that's how come I can't get a good picture of 'm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    My DIY controllers: Based on a lunch box (really, one click and it opens, and one can eaisly reach the Bodnar board and all wires - I need to do that frequently, buttons wear out, wires brake loose... oh well)

The stick is a Microsoft FFB2, with the handle of a Guillemot Forcefeedback stick on it, it's twist potentiometer moved next to the (original) throttle lever.

Basically, it all works! lol.

2012-08-15 17.54.55.jpg

Got home built pedals as well, haven't got a good picture of them though... and they really do not look like anything anyways ... oh, that's how come I can't get a good picture of 'm.
    Love it!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

27. Likes DD_FT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Highseas;356029]I made one using 5 turn potentiometers with wheels attached. Used an arduino leonardo board.

[/QUOT
    would 1turn 10k pots work, i cant seem to find 5 turn pots on amazon, single or ten turn is all i see

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

[QUOTE=JackMaXX;356249]
    I made one using 5 turn potentiometers with wheels attached. Used an arduino leonardo board.

[/QUOT
    would 1turn 10k pots work, i cant seem to find 5 turn pots on amazon, single or ten turn is all i see
    too sensitive.

You really want 3 -5 turn.

not sure how many these ones are:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-WXD3...gAAOSwv-JcgFTf

might be worth asking though... they are super cheap.

they look visually like the ones I used.

these are problaby better quality:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POTENTIOM...wAAOSweWVXdTgW

I think I went with 10k ones... can't actually remember now !!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

3, 5 turn pot are listed in this site:
    http://potentiometers.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

[QUOTE=JackMaXX;356249]

[/QUOT
    I have a spare Arduino board here as it goes...

though the cost effectove vesion is the Teensy... which is basically a miniature clone which does mostly the same thing.

now....

somthing to think about....

you can use wheels as iI have... which are set up as axis controlls...

OR

you could use encoders... (rotate the wheel and it clickey clicks... and set this up as analogue... same as a key press.. so as you rotate the dial clicks are read as key presses..... )

I went for wheels and made a lump on the top of each wheel so i coudl see / feel its poistion. works really well

I think encoderes could work quite well though. (got a feeling that is how Marcos setup is) (and if you added another push button near each you could have an instant reset bound to that as well... which might be cool)

Basically... have a think about it.... should be pretty easy to then guide you the right direction !

and watch your folley unfold

EDIT... also... once again... i must point out that i got 90% of my guidance from 1Lokos.

so if you cock it up it's his fault by proxy
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jun-30-2020 at 16:15.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Hi All,

My set up ended up being a bit of everything by way of a proof of concept. It was my first foray into soldering, electronics, gears and all sorts and was a massive learning curve...BUT a hell of a lot of fun!

Anyway, I've used linear pots, rotary pots (single and 10 turn), encoders, DIY Hall sensors, push buttons, toggle switches, micro switches and hooked the lot up to two Bodnar boards.

If I couldn't get the movement I wanted working happily with, for example, a single turn pot I would throw some gears at it in order to create a greater movement from the trim wheel end, for a much smaller movement at the pot. An alternative would be use a single turn pot on a large diameter trim 'wheel' and ensure that you have some friction damping set up - a pointer on the outer rim of the trim wheel moves a much greater distance than the 'axle' of the potentiometer and the friction helps to take out some of the sensitivity.

Encoders work fine but you don't necessarily have that visual positional check ability.

Tis all good fun and once the ideas start coming look forward to some sleepless nights visualising it all!!

~S~
    Last edited by Marco; Jun-30-2020 at 16:26.
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

33. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Tis all good fun and once the ideas start coming look forward to some sleepless nights visualising it all!!

~S~
    Hehe... all part of the ride!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Ordered leonardo board, pots and switches, don't worry, when I f*@k it up, there will be plenty of blame to go around for everyone who has been helpful and encouraging on this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Ordered leonardo board, pots and switches, don't worry, when I f*@k it up, there will be plenty of blame to go around for everyone who has been helpful and encouraging on this thread
    I've been thinking about this... and unlike those other guys I actually think you shouldn't do it at all.

Anyway... since eveyone else is now taking literally 100% of the blame I'm happy to assist just as they would...

You will need MMJoy2 https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki

this image:

Pins_Arduino[leonardo].PNG

and the attached instructions which work for the Ardiono boards as well.

Let the games commence !

Stage 1:

Making a box with your wheels / switches / etc on and making sure that the arduino board fits inside hapilly....

I always add a USB B printer socket to the enclosure connected to the board by its micro USB... makes it a LOT easier to plug in and unplug your peripherals... (£2 from China!)

Stage 2:

Flash the board with the MMJoy2 software... set a VID and PID, and give your board a name so you can tell when it is in windows...

Then hook up the wheels... tell the software which ports you are using, calibrate and flash the board (don't worry... we cover this in lesson #3 )

You can very easily have 6 analogue axis and 17 buttons wired simply and directly to the board. (I'd get yourself some of the iput pins to go in the sockets on the board from an action site so you can solder to those and not the board itself !)

If you want to add loads more buttons (100+) we will need to start talking about making a button matrix which includes a load of clipping diodes... This is actually pretty simple once you have the concept and have drawn it out.

but we can get onto that later.... if and when you decide to make an entire controller setup !

Weirdly I always find that the hardest part of this seems to be getting the firmware onto the arduino board. But that is hardly difficult.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jul-01-2020 at 17:15. Reason: spell chucker

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

37. Likes farley, Marco, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Thanks Highseas
    one initial question ,should I use any particular grade of electrical wire for connections, I have some 0.5mm single strand telephone wire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Just don't use download from Github, here are older version of firmware.
    Use download from MegaMOZG page:

https://sites.google.com/site/mmjoyp...dla-skacivania

40. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Just don't use download from Github, here are older version of firmware.
    Use download from MegaMOZG page:

https://sites.google.com/site/mmjoyp...dla-skacivania
    Good catch !!

He's a nice guy MegaMozg. He helped me out adding a brake lever to my Virpil stick !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

S! JM
    I use two CH Products throttle quadrants for rudder and elevator trim and for water radiator. flaps, undercarriage, prop pitch and throttle.
    I find using axes makes for easier operation and finer control of surfaces/systems.

I fly the game with my virtual cockpit displayed on a 2nd monitor, which adds to the ease of setting surfaces/systems to desired position

Our Flying Machines...Our Passion

Steerpots

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Is just renders, but this Replika alternative for "trim box" looks nice and practical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

starting to put some stuff together, melted 3 sliding pots, 3 more on order, all in all things looking good see pic (God, why did I let myself be talked into this )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast