Thread: Touchscreen frame for 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Touchscreen frame for 55" TV

There are a few different brands to select from... I chose "Green Touch" ($225) due to the good feedback reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/infrared-with...tronics&sr=1-1

It arrived via UPS from Amazon in 4 days. It came packaged in a shipping tube that provides extreme protection from enroute damage. Assembly is simple with the provided screwdriver and takes about a half hour on a clean, flat work surface. This frame is extruded aluminum and all led's and sensors are inside the extrusion. Again, very well protected.

I put it together, plugged it into a USB port, and started using it right away. It works better than my 73 year old fingers do, but practice makes perfect and my touch screening on the desktop is improving. I have found a pencil eraser to be an excellent stylus for setting it up, especially with small icons on the desktop. It really does work very well, especially after calibrating the touch point with Windows 10 settings. Just search for "touch" and you'll find it.

For temporary positioning over the TV, I propped up the bottom of the frame with wood scraps and attached it to the TV frame with "EZ Tack" adhesive clay. This allows fine adjustments for initial testing and calibration without serious glue or hardware. For fine adjustments to the height, use some old playing cards to get it just right.

I'll give it a week of game play, then will report back... over.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Touchscreen frame for 55" TV

I'm intrigued....

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Problem: My mouse will not activate any controls in the virtual cockpit. It "Lands" on the control, i.e. Left or right Magneto, but will not respond to the left click. Also, the touchscreen sends a normal "hit" shown as a screen symbol Ꙩ, like on the desktop, but nothing happens in the game.

I've heard of this before, but I cannot remember the corrective action.

I fixed the mouse, [Mouse Control = Left Mouse] in controls menu, but the touchscreen will still not activate.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-30-2020 at 21:58. Reason: removed touchscreen text reference.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Hey Baffin, don't forget the conf.ini file, you have this mouse section

[rts]
    ; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
    mouseUse=2

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Hey Baffin, don't forget the conf.ini file, you have this mouse section

[rts]
    ; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
    mouseUse=2

Good luck!
    Thanks, Bondi,

I have had mouseUse=2 set. The mouse works properly but the Touch screen fails to activate the control selected. Unlike I stated earlier and have corrected, the Touchscreen "Mouse" does not activate the text box associated with the airplane control like the mouse does. I'll continue to troubleshoot this, but other sources on the internet indicate that Touchscreens do not always work in older games like ours.
    I advise against ordering one of these until one of us gets a touchscreen working in CLoD Blitz.

Final EDIT: Returned to seller.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-01-2020 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

An observation on touchscreen...

What I assumed would add to the immersion of flight sims turned out to be, in my opinion, completely wrong. Since the head tracking device is always changing the view onscreen, finding and touching a screen object like [Left Magneto] is anything but intuitive. Even if I "freeze" the TrackIR view, it is still a chore to find and touch any control item... it's like using my finger as a mouse on an uncomfortably large touchpad. It's also very easy to make an erroneous selection. The mouse is much more accurate than touching the screen for me and also keeps my screen much cleaner than smudgy fingertips!

I find that extra physical control devices with switches, sliders and buttons, placed properly around your office "Cockpit" add a much greater degree of realism than the touchscreen.