Thread: Blackout in spitty Vs bf109

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Blackout in spitty Vs bf109

Is the flight model in Cliffs designed to blackout the pilot in a spitty before the turn envelope of the aircraft is exceeded, I regularly blackout in the spitty while in turn fights with 109s while the 109 pilot in same turn doses not appear to blackout. I tried to force a blackout in a 109 and found that it was not as frequent as in the spitty, the 109 would reach stall parameters before pilot would blackout in a high speed high g turn.

The net effect of this (for me)is that any theoretical advantage the spitty has in a turn fight is lost.

I would be interested to know if these flight characteristics are historically accurate.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Re: Blackout in spitty Vs bf109

There are several factors playing into this:

1) You simply cannot pull as many Gs as easily in the Bf109 at high speeds as you can in a Spitfire. The latter has much better elevator authority so you can pull harder with less effort.
    2) A pursuing aircraft needs to pull more Gs than the aircraft being pursued to get a gun solution in a maneuvering fight. That's called lead pursuit.
    3) The Bf109 had a slightly reclined seat and a raised leg position for the pilot, both of which help against the onset of blackout. The Spitfire and Hurricane had neither. Their pilots were sitting perfectly straight up in the cockpit. This is modelled in CloD as far as I know.

3. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

would rudder input to aid turn help?
    any anti g suits in 5.0
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

What Karaya said.

No blackout suits till very late in the war.

Way you avoid this is by practicing "Lag pursuit"... so the nose of your aircraft is pointing behind the aircraft you are chasing... not in front of it.

You should be able to still outturn your opponent in a 109 in your Spit... but you won't black yourself out.

6. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

So having the screen go black and colliding with the aircraft in front is NOT how it's supposed to be done ?

Well silly me. I best go rethink my approach to this combat fighter business.

Daz

8. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    3) The Bf109 had a slightly reclined seat and a raised leg position for the pilot, both of which help against the onset of blackout. The Spitfire and Hurricane had neither. Their pilots were sitting perfectly straight up in the cockpit. This is modelled in CloD as far as I know.
    Not true. The rudder pedals on the spit MkII and later had a 'second step' that helped raise the leg position. I've also read accounts of the pilot 'lowering the seat' when going into combat... I don't deny that the 109s seating was more reclined, just that the RAF fighters also had some ergonomic alterations that aided the pilot in combat.

10. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

In my opinion, CLoD is quite accurate at depicting the onset of physiological over-G as the pilot progresses through color loss, grey-out, black out and loss of consciousness. However, there is a problem with the recovery time in our simulator and that's why we have to "sit and wait" until the screen view reappears after blacking out. In real life, when you reduce the G forces, vision is instantly restored unless you have progressed to unconsciousness. Do not confuse "blackout with unconsciousness.

Greyout/blackout is the loss of vision as blood is driven from the eyes and brain due to high gravity. It's not natural for a pilot to become unconsciousness since impending unconsciousness causes the pilot to naturally relax stick back pressure and G forces will automatically diminish. However, since CLoD has no true "Feel", it's easy to continue backpressure well past realistic levels, so you "Pass out". The game is simply simulating what forces you have created, and our game unfortunately knocks you out a little too soon in my opinion. One technique to avoid complete unconsciousness is to limit the use of trim in a dogfight. Dogfight with more backpressure and less trim.

If your elevator trim is set for too low a speed, the Spitfire is capable of self over G if you force it to accelerate in a dive; In other words, the trim will pull too much back pressure for you. In a Spitfire, self over G is less likely if trim is set faster than 2 units Aircraft Nose Down. In any case, reduce power to IDLE and gently add forward stick pressure to recover from simulated unconsciousness/blackout. This is unrealistic of course, since unconscious pilots can't do either, but it works to some degree in the game. If you do nothing, you're at the mercy of your power and trim setting.

Rudder can be used as a "Pointer" for gun aiming, but keep in mind it's an energy killer. It's effective for reducing G's inasmuch as it slows the airplane down, but only in that indirect way. Rudder in a blacked out condition is also a spin risk... it's up to you!

EDIT: I found this resource for those who care to look further into this. There's a section entitled "The G-Loc", which has a good explanation of "Blackout" vs. "Unconsciousness".

https://goflightmedicine.com/pulling-gs/
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-16-2020 at 06:47.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

12. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Can G Force/Blackout levels be set on the servers? The reason I ask is because it seems to me that some of the servers have blackout levels set more sensitive than I find in Single Player.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Thanks all for responses, some good advice and things to try out

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

No.... you blackout at the same G level whatever the server.... although if you are at higher altitudes you should understand the thinner air means it is more difficult to generate G's.

Also temperature levels affect the density of the atmosphere... which again can affect the ability to generate G's.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Can G Force/Blackout levels be set on the servers? The reason I ask is because it seems to me that some of the servers have blackout levels set more sensitive than I find in Single Player.

16. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Complete blackout where it takes time to recover is unconsciousness... and this happened a lot in WW2.

Dancing at the edge of unconsciousness is what you are talking about.

Currently we don't reduce or stop the player control of his stick... may do that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    In my opinion, CLoD is quite accurate at depicting the onset of physiological over-G as the pilot progresses through color loss, grey-out, black out and loss of consciousness. However, there is a problem with the recovery time in our simulator and that's why we have to "sit and wait" until the screen view reappears after blacking out. In real life, when you reduce the G forces, vision is instantly restored unless you have progressed to unconsciousness. Do not confuse "blackout with unconsciousness.

Greyout/blackout is the loss of vision as blood is driven from the eyes and brain due to high gravity. It's not natural for a pilot to become unconsciousness since impending unconsciousness causes the pilot to naturally relax stick back pressure and G forces will automatically diminish. However, since CLoD has no true "Feel", it's easy to continue backpressure well past realistic levels, so you "Pass out". The game is simply simulating what forces you have created, and our game unfortunately knocks you out a little too soon in my opinion. One technique to avoid complete unconsciousness is to limit the use of trim in a dogfight. Dogfight with more backpressure and less trim.

If your elevator trim is set for too low a speed, the Spitfire is capable of self over G if you force it to accelerate in a dive; In other words, the trim will pull too much back pressure for you. In a Spitfire, self over G is less likely if trim is set faster than 2 units Aircraft Nose Down. In any case, reduce power to IDLE and gently add forward stick pressure to recover from simulated unconsciousness/blackout. This is unrealistic of course, since unconscious pilots can't do either, but it works to some degree in the game. If you do nothing, you're at the mercy of your power and trim setting.

Rudder can be used as a "Pointer" for gun aiming, but keep in mind it's an energy killer. It's effective for reducing G's inasmuch as it slows the airplane down, but only in that indirect way. Rudder in a blacked out condition is also a spin risk... it's up to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I found this resource for those who care to look further into this. There's a section entitled "The G-Loc", which has a good explanation of "Blackout" vs. "Unconsciousness", and is well referenced in the footnotes.

https://goflightmedicine.com/pulling-gs/
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-16-2020 at 06:46.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.