Thread: Blenheim turret

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Blenheim turret

Hi, a few questions if I could please.

I've managed to take control, lean to site and get the turret of the Blenheim movin and firing with my mouse (independent toggle). But how, if possible, can I:

1) Invert the mouse Y axis
    2) Keep the gun in the firing stance; when I leave the view it seems to get stowed
    3) Related to 2 above, how do I know or make sure my AI gunner will defend me both genreally if I don't go in the turret at all, or, after I have been in there
    4) Is there a level autopilot I can turn on if I want to sit in the turret and go peow peow.

Thanks for any help.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Blenheim turret

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Hi, a few questions if I could please.

I've managed to take control, lean to site and get the turret of the Blenheim movin and firing with my mouse (independent toggle). But how, if possible, can I:

1) Invert the mouse Y axis
    2) Keep the gun in the firing stance; when I leave the view it seems to get stowed
    3) Related to 2 above, how do I know or make sure my AI gunner will defend me both genreally if I don't go in the turret at all, or, after I have been in there
    4) Is there a level autopilot I can turn on if I want to sit in the turret and go peow peow.

Thanks for any help.
    1) Open the file \Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\conf.ini

find the below sequence and make sure to set Invert=1

Code:
    [rts_mouse]
    SensitivityX=1.5
    SensitivityY=1.5
    SensitivityZ=1.0
    Invert=1
    SwapButtons = 0
    2) and 3) how do you leave the turret? I think if you leave by hitting 'ALT+F2' you pass control to AI, meaning he'll defend you, but may also move the turret from where you left it.

4) you'll have to fly German for the mode 22. Blenny has only elevator trim, but if set carrfully it is pretty stable and lets you plenty of time to "go peow peow"
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

3. Likes Yo-Yo, ATAG_JackMaxx, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

I don't think you will want to engage the autopilot when you occupy the turret.
    You will want to fly the aircraft manually (in reverse) so that you can maneuver and bring the gun
    onto the attacker. The turret rotates far to slowly to be of any use when under attack. It is easy for attackers to approach below and behind
    where you cannot see or fire at them. Best to fly backward to watch their approach.

There are a few among us who have managed to acquire the skill of flying backwards and actually hitting attackers (I'm still working on it
    after 5000 hours in the Bloated Blennie).

Using Alt/F2 will return the turret to AI control or free it up for another member of The Bloated Blennie Brigade to join in if you
    are online with others. AI gunners are appallingly bad shots when they are needed most. They will use all of your ammunition
    in no time if you have the twin gun turret and will on occasion give your position away by firing tracers when you might have sneaked by undetected.
    AI is more useful for spotting the attacker (or potential victim) and informing you where they are. This will allow you to avoid detection or drop a bomb on them as need arises.
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

5. Likes Yo-Yo, ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

All topics pretty well covered already.

I think default 'A' will engage AI control 'autopilot' in all aircraft flying offline, but no such thing online.
    Only thing similar online in the Blenheim is 'mode 22' type autopilot which works off your compass. Handy for long distance or high alt bombing where you'll be too occupied with the bombsite to fly straight ans level manually. You need to bind controls for it.

If you're going to fight it out as the rear gunner then you best arrange your controls for the quickest 'ease of use' to switch stick hands, then split your brain for the 2 tasks and swap positions rapidly. The Blenheim is very responsive on the controls (with low fuel weight) so is only a sitting duck if you fly it that way, and evasive flying using front & rear views keeps an eye the attacker. While it is quite possible to inflict serious engine damage it's unlikely to deter most from continuing their attack. Streams of smoke, oil, fuel, fire rarely stop the gamer wanting a score. It's more likely you'll get credit later when that a/c eventually comes down. A pilot kill is very rare.

If you don't have it already Chucks Guide is THE invaluable source for Cliffs, though a few changes have come along since it was written.
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=16592

And of course DO come fly with us on the ATAG server with Teamspeak. Certain maps are great fun in the Blenheim. Others are downright suicidal, but still fun.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jul-15-2020 at 11:40.

7. Likes Yo-Yo, ATAG_JackMaxx, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

OK, thanks all, appreciate the responses.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snarglepuss View Post
    I don't think you will want to engage the autopilot when you occupy the turret.
    You will want to fly the aircraft manually (in reverse) so that you can maneuver and bring the gun
    onto the attacker. The turret rotates far to slowly to be of any use when under attack. It is easy for attackers to approach below and behind
    where you cannot see or fire at them. Best to fly backward to watch their approach.

There are a few among us who have managed to acquire the skill of flying backwards and actually hitting attackers (I'm still working on it
    after 5000 hours in the Bloated Blennie).

Using Alt/F2 will return the turret to AI control or free it up for another member of The Bloated Blennie Brigade to join in if you
    are online with others. AI gunners are appallingly bad shots when they are needed most. They will use all of your ammunition
    in no time if you have the twin gun turret and will on occasion give your position away by firing tracers when you might have sneaked by undetected.
    AI is more useful for spotting the attacker (or potential victim) and informing you where they are. This will allow you to avoid detection or drop a bomb on them as need arises.
    Just to reinforce what Snargel has said - if you learn to fly the aircraft backwards and use the gun at the same time you will see a step change improvement in your survivability as you can coordinate gun use with aircraft manoeuvre. In the 110 for instance when changing mags bunt the aircraft while the reload is happening - this buys you a few seconds usually and at the end of the bunt you have a full mag ready to go when your attacker lines up again. Include plenty of tracer in your gunner load out so you can see where your rounds are going - due to the laws of physics and velocity vectors etc the rounds dont always go where you intuitively think they should.

And its not totally unrealistic - plenty of anecdotes from bomber war stories in which the gunner says to the pilot 'Skipper on my command break left' or similar.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Well I just made it to my target (ATAG server) undetected and destroyed it (maybe it was hit before me); shot down by flak, but meh, that doesn't tarnish my first ever 'successful' strike in the Blenheim too much right now! Great fun.

11. Likes ATAG_Oskar, danperin, DerDa, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Well I just made it to my target (ATAG server) undetected and destroyed it (maybe it was hit before me); shot down by flak, but meh, that doesn't tarnish my first ever 'successful' strike in the Blenheim too much right now! Great fun.
    Hoorah ! Now it's simply a case of 'rinse and repeat'.

Saw you on the server while I was repeatedly murdered in a Hurri-bomber by those bloody Minensuchboot things.
    Next time jump on Teamspeak so you can wing up with us on a Blenheim run. It's great fun and very immersive going out as a team and certainly ramps up the learning curve. Some have seen these maps repeatedly over the years and can pinpoint targets from memory, while some of us cant remember what direction we're flying once we've looked away from the compass. Terrible discipline but terribly fun.

Daz

13. Likes danperin, ATAG_Noofy, DerDa, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    ... while some of us cant remember what direction we're flying once we've looked away from the compass ...
    Really? I didn’t think you could even see the compass in British planes
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

15. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    They did their best to hide it, but in some planes we found them

17. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

I've noted far more often than not the ATAG server maps typically have the RAF flying directly into the rising sun when on tactical missions. Our version of the BoB is generally fought during breakfast it seems. At least for navigation we certainly know which way East is, and are completely blinded by it.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jul-18-2020 at 11:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    what would you want a compass for, probably only points to some ballyhoo foreign place any way
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

20. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post