Thread: Basic things I should know...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Basic things I should know...

Hi,

I'm trying my hand at making some SP missions and have been watchign the you tube videos and browsing some of the threads here, but would like to ask if anyone can summarise a couple of basic things I should perhaps know.

e.g. I set up a 4 aircraft flight and then took off, with a waypoint straight out east, 2 of the 3 other aircraft took off, but one stayed where it was. Is this perhaps beacuse it is necessary to circle round a field after takeoff, had I gone too far away by the time it should have moved that it 'lost' me? I can of course play around with things and try and try, but if anyone can provide any golden nuggets of advice on basic things that would be appreciated. Such things as:

- getting a flight to take off (together) and form up
    - bombing a target (does there need to be a certain ditance of approach etc.)
    - landing

I appreciate the FMB is complex and there are probably a thousand thigns to know, but I'm just hoping someone could pop down a few key things that would save me hours of trial and error. (Don't worry about srcipting and such, that is for me to approach, er, next year perhaps)
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

2. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Basic things I should know...

When you set a flight for take-off all aircraft should follow the leader (Player or AI). Or, at least take off, because if player is flight leader... see bellow.

See in this Quick Mission: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=221

Perhaps are something in spawn point blocking the stuck aircraft.

Due CloD bug, AI wingman's don't see the player as flight leader, so they follow mission waypoint's.
    The workaround for this issue is enable AI autopilot briefing or until first way point (don't know if Blitz change this, as I play this version very little).

Back in time was said that Desastersoft crew discover that if you - as flight leader, take-off and do a pattern circuit around runway, the AI wingman's join you.
    I remember having test this but not achieve the same.

BTW - AI only landing in runway defined in mission, so if you take-off from Manston for landing in Hawking, but for some reason decide landing in Limpne, your AI wingman's will not landing there, most often crash trying keep formation with you.
    Anyway "Radio commands" was improved in Blitz, perhaps "Return to home" order work.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-18-2020 at 22:07.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Thank you.

I actually just tried my mission again and just waited a bit longer before rolling and they did form up even if I headed slowly straight from takeoff. But, then no2 said he was returning to base, I wonder if he blew his engine somehow?! On my third attempt I tried to hang around the airfield and the AI all took off and headed straight for the waypoint (as you say they would ).

I would like to try and keep the option of taking off and climbing straight away form the base, without a circuit as this seems to have been common behaviour from what I have read in pilot accounts. But, not the end of the world if there is a need to have a circuit first I suppose.

I will post 'issues' and 'questions' I come up against in my misson building in this thread, then if anyone can advise please do so, or, maybe I will find the answer myself and will reply to myself in case that helps someone else.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

OK Question #2

Most things in the mis file are clear enough but can anyone briefly define what are meant by 'Chief' things?

[CustomChiefs]
    [Chiefs]
    0_Chief Ship.Tanker_Medium1 gb /sleep 0/skill 2/slowfire 1
    1_Chief Ship.Tanker_Medium1 gb /sleep 0/skill 2/slowfire 1
    2_Chief Ship.Tanker_Medium1 gb /sleep 0/skill 2/slowfire 1
    3_Chief Ship.Tanker_Medium1 gb /sleep 0/skill 2/slowfire 1
    4_Chief Ship.Tanker_Medium1 gb /sleep 0/skill 2/slowfire 1
    [0_Chief_Road]
    146949.44 180708.03 38.40 0 2 5.56
    93998.78 177637.02 38.40 0 2 3.33
    45498.75 148613.89 38.40

From the above I figure you define them, then set their movement along a 'road'?

But what objects can be defined as 'Chiefs'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    But what objects can be defined as 'Chiefs'?
    If a vehicle or ship, or a group of vehicles or ships, moves on the ground or water it is a Chief in the FMB. The same vehicles or ships can be placed as static objects and will show up as stationaries in the file.

7. Likes danperin, Yo-Yo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    [0_Chief_Road]
    146949.44 180708.03 38.40 0 2 5.56
    93998.78 177637.02 38.40 0 2 3.33
    45498.75 148613.89 38.40
    And "Chief_Road" are vehicles/ships waypoints.

If terrain are more or less flat and are not a road near vehicles follow waypoints, but if are road they start following roads automatically.
    Nice,but...

As roads paths not more match graphics (visual roads) - after the above mentioned patch, weird things happens with vehicles, like leave roads and try drive between trees and get stuck, including moving in the air, neither they are able to cross rivers, this because bridges have a invisible steep relative to roads, since "day one" of CloD.

Ships have no issues in follow waypoints.

Hope that in Tobruk map TF at least don't use this broken Spline Lines feature, so why set vehicles paths like in IL-2:46, more laborious but at least work OK. Or used a fixed version of Spline Lines.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-19-2020 at 14:13.

9. Likes Yo-Yo liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Thank you

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Question #3

(I actually answered this myself but will list it here in case any beginners browse this thread for information.)

Trying to make an airspawn script when player passes thorugh area, but can't figure out how to do so.

Answer:

Make the flights

Create the flight to trigger the spawn, the player for example.

Create the aircraft group to be trigerd as normal but tick the 'Script spawn Or' option

Edit Script:

Create trigger:

Click 'Add'

Change name to something simple but relevant

Choose TPassThrough

Using the drop down, select the thing to act on the trigger, i.e. the player.

Click the square with three dots, then where on the map you wish the trigger to be located

Designate the area of the trigger area in metres, i.e the area the player has to fly through to trigger the spawn

Create the action:

Click 'Add'

Change the name to be exaclty as the name of the matching trigger (this was where I wa stuck)

ASpawnGroup s already selected as the only trigger type

Under Action, click the box with three dots and then click on the flight you wish to spawn.

Then

Save

And that is all required for a basic spawning of a flight when the player enters a trigger area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Don't know if this still relevant, one MG official patch broken FMB trigger action (at time they fix 1 thing, broken 1 or 2 ), so if your new flight don't appear:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...spawn+dorniers

Code:
    public override void OnTrigger(int missionNumber, string shortName, bool active) 
        {
           base.OnTrigger(missionNumber, shortName, active); 

if ("YourTriggerName".Equals(shortName) && active) 
              { 
                    AiAction action = GamePlay.gpGetAction("YourActionName"); //same as YourTriggerName
                    GamePlay.gpLogServer(null, " Your Trigger was triggered ", new object[] { }); //Testmessage
                    if (action != null)
                   {
                         action.Do();
                   }
                    GamePlay.gpGetTrigger(shortName).Enable = false;            
              }
    }
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-19-2020 at 14:27.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Thanks. My basic 'spawn a flight' when I fly through an area is working ok without the need for anything else luckily.

Incidentally I have now started on the long road of learning C# and how to script, so hopefully will be able to do more than just spawn flights one day!

(There's a lot of CloD-related information about on the detail of scripting in C#, just not so much on the basic steps around the syntax and how to fit it together. All the advice seems to assume you know what to do to get a basic script to run in the game. Anyway, I'll get there.)