Thread: Visual studio - can't find references

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Visual studio - can't find references

Can anyone help with the following please, I can't see/find the 'References' to right click on it?

Visual Studio will let you see all of the methods in roundabout way. Try this:

1. File >> New >> Project Type in a name and solution name at the bottom. Don't worry about what kind of project you create.

2. On the right side under "Solution Explorer", right click on "References", "Add Reference..."

3. Click on the "Browse" tab, navigate to "Steam/steamapps/common/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/parts/core"

4. Go through each .dll file in that list and try to add it. Some will give you an error, just skip those.

After you've added all the .dll files, right click on the name of your project and do "Add Existing Item". Find one of your script files and add it. Now Visual Studio will show you all the possible methods as you're typing your code. You can also go to View >> Object Browser and have a look in there.

Important: When you import an existing item, Visual Studio makes a copy of the file so any changes you make won't be reflected in the original file, you'll have to copy the new one over it. If anybody knows how to change this, I'd be quite grateful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Jul-23-2020 at 07:19.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Re: Visual studio - can't find references

....tumble weed.....

I found this myself in the end, it is just 'dependencies' you need to right click on, not somethign called 'references', as indicated in corrected text below:

Visual Studio will let you see all of the methods in roundabout way. Try this:

1. File >> New >> Project Type in a name and solution name at the bottom. Don't worry about what kind of project you create.

2. Go to View >> Solution Explorer, right click 'Dependencies', select 'Add Project Reference...'

3. Click on the "Browse" tab, navigate to "Steam/steamapps/common/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/parts/core"

4. Go through each .dll file in that list and try to add it. Some will give you an error, just skip those.

After you've added all the .dll files, right click on the name of your project and do "Add Existing Item". Find one of your script files and add it. Now Visual Studio will show you all the possible methods as you're typing your code. You can also go to View >> Object Browser and have a look in there.

Important: When you import an existing item, Visual Studio makes a copy of the file so any changes you make won't be reflected in the original file, you'll have to copy the new one over it. If anybody knows how to change this, I'd be quite grateful.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: Visual studio - can't find references

The difference between "Reference" and "Dependencies" is a change in wording between different versions of Visual Studio, I believe.

Another way to get to the same place is Solution Explore, right-click the name of the solution in the list there, then "Add >" and then "Project Reference...".

Also . . . depending on the type of project you create, you may not be able to add references/dependencies! If you make "Console App (.NET core) for C#, you definitely can. Some other types of projects, you can't.

If your existing project doesn't allow you to add dependencies, you can always just create a new project in your solution that is the right type, and then add the references/dependencies there.

In conclusion, Visual Studio is a land of contrast. Thank you.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Aug-20-2020 at 16:36.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick