Thread: Cumulus Clouds in Sims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Cumulus Clouds in Sims.

Greetings All,
    Wasn't sure where to ask this. Like a lot of you I'm a long time simmer going back to '99. Unlike some of you I'm not a RL pilot. I've only flown a hand full of times in a small aircraft. My Step Father is a pilot. I've been flying with him quite a bit recently and down here in Mississippi the summertime weather patterns make these cumulus clouds and popup storms an everyday event. I've been surprised how much turbulence a small plane encounters when flying thru one. Even if it isn't a storm cloud. Are there any sims where this is modeled? Is this something that might be modeled in the future Team Fusion updates? Thanks as always!
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Cumulus Clouds in Sims.

Team Fusion is in the process of implementing a completely new weather system that will more accurately depict different types of cloud formations along with precipitation.

3. Likes TWC_Padre, ATAG_Ribbs, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

This is an example of an image taken in the sim with the new weather system.

TFS Weather old by mysticpuma2011, on Flickr
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

5. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Original image without the editing, straight from the sim, posted last winter by Pattle.

Hopefully TFS gives us an update on the weather systems soon! I would expect news after the 5.0 release.

7. Likes 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Hopefully TFS gives us an update on the weather systems soon! I would expect news after the 5.0 release.
    please keep in mind this was a very early build of the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Looks fantastic even in this early build. Gimme please!

10. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Thanks for the replies folks. Aside from the "look" of the clouds can we expect some type of turbulence modeled?
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

12. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks. Aside from the "look" of the clouds can we expect some type of turbulence modeled?
    Some type of turbulence is already modeled. In full mission editor you can create multiple wind layers and when your aircraft crosses the border from one wind layer to another your aircraft will be shaking. If I'm right that is the turbulence effect
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Turbulence... I don't think so. Weatherwise, turbulence is measured as "Vertical sharp edged gusts", and would require programming some sort of 3 dimensional vector for the wind direction. Commercial simulators do it, but the response is perceived by the pilot through the hydraulic motion system. (The box bounces up and down with you in it). Visual turbulence in a non motion simulator like PC's use, would be a real challenge. Perhaps some combination of sound and force feedback / Buttkicker accessories could fake it, but not very well in my opinion.

Next time you hit "chop" turbulence while flying, ask your pilot to release the controls for a few seconds if he feels it's safe to do so. Unless you're in some non-convective situation like horizontal windshear or wake turbulence, you'll likely only "See" very slight attitude changes and the vertical shear will only show up on the instruments (Altimeter or Vertical speed indicator).

Of course, if the turbulence becomes severe, all bets are off and you're basically just along for the ride until it quits.

In short, clear-air turbulence is a "Feel" phenomenon, not a visual one, until after the pilot makes a corrective control input.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-30-2020 at 15:00.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

15. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Your replies are much appreciated. S!