Thread: Airfields and their runways

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Airfields and their runways (and wind)

I've seen a youtube video that shows how to set an airfield object, then its runway and rotate the runway to set the direction and 'align the yellow boards'. But when I try to do this nothing changes, what's more, the airfield already has yellow flags without adding an airfield and runway object, and if I do add it, I think it just duplicates the boards.

Is it possible to change the runway direction for all airfields, or only some (or none)?

I've also tried to change the wind direction by manually editing the direction in the .mis file but, this had no bearing on the runway direction either, does this mean that if I set a different wind direction I am unable to align the runway so as to take ooff into it and the game will force takeoff along the one direction that seems to be coded into it?

(Hornchurch is the main airfiedl I was trying to set up.)

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Aug-01-2020 at 09:33.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: Airfields and their runways

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    I've seen a youtube video that shows how to set an airfield object, then its runway and rotate the runway to set the direction and 'align the yellow boards'. But when I try to do this nothing changes, what's more, the airfield already has yellow flags without adding an airfield and runway object, and if I do add it, I think it just duplicates the boards.

Is it possible to change the runway direction for all airfields, or only some (or none)?

I've also tried to change the wind direction by manually editing the direction in the .mis file but, this had no bearing on the runway direction either, does this mean that if I set a different wind direction I am unable to align the runway so as to take ooff into it and the game will force takeoff along the one direction that seems to be coded into it?

(Hornchurch is the main airfiedl I was trying to set up.)

Thanks for any help.

Airfields that are on the map have boards that show the takeoff direction. This is the best direction considering the current wind direction, not directly into the wind.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    Airfields that are on the map have boards that show the takeoff direction. This is the best direction considering the current wind direction, not directly into the wind.
    So the direction of the boards (and the AI landing?) should change if I change the wind direction? Maybe I messed up my wind setting.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Is there a document/resource on how to set wind direction please?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

I found this post:

Re: TWC Training high surface wind

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    7 M/s = 15.68 MPH. This is too high for RAF fighters ground operations. Especially with new trainees.

May I recommend 1 or 2 MPH at the surface for training at RAF Watchfield?
    Using FMB you can create your own mission for training and change the wind anyhow you like.
    The only problem for novice is to understand how to set up wind direction, because it is not obviouse that wind set to "0" is headed to 90drg (wind blows from WEST), "90" headed to 0 (wind blows from SOUTH), "180/-180" headed to 270dgr (wind blows from EAST) and "-90" headed to 180dgr (wind blows from NORTH).

Also it is possible to create multiple wind layers. I'd recommend for mission builders set light breeze (or no wind at all) close to the ground, because with strong wind airplane starts moving/turning even with engine switched off. And of course add wind information for all layers to the mission briefing.

I discovered that some input boxes not working properly in FMB, and I changing the wind layers altitude borders in the mission file manually. The TopBound and BottomBound for wind layers is set in meters.
    This is how the wind layers looks like in mission file:
    [GlobalWind_0]
    Power 1.000 0.000 0.000
    BottomBound 0.00
    TopBound 1000.00
    GustPower 1
    GustAngle 44
    [GlobalWind_1]
    Power 1.732 1.000 0.000
    BottomBound 1000.00
    TopBound 2000.00
    GustPower 5
    GustAngle 44
    [GlobalWind_2]
    Power 2.828 2.828 0.000
    BottomBound 2000.00
    TopBound 4500.00
    GustPower 5
    GustAngle 44
    [GlobalWind_3]
    Power 3.000 5.196 0.000
    BottomBound 4500.00
    TopBound 10000.00
    GustPower 5
    GustAngle 44

In briefing info can look like:

Wind information
    From 0m to 1000m - 1m/s heading 90.
    From 1000m to 2000m - 2 m/s heading 60.
    From 2000m to 4500m - 3 m/s heading 45.
    From 4500m - 4 m/s heading 30.

But I can't see the values in what has been posted there that relate to the actual wind direction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Is there a document/resource on how to set wind direction please?
    Wind in FMB is set using an AutoCAD scale with 0 to 180 and 0 to -180 degrees adjusts:

But don't bother in set a wind for e.g. 43º, because this will only add confusion for a already confuse thing,
    happens that "Sector controller" (Tab-7-2) use an classical 12-tips Wind Rose in their weather report - Timosthenes (270 BCE) Wind Rose,
    reporting wind direction only in 30º segments.

Other detail is that wind is informed (by Controller) blow TO direction contrary to RL FROM standard, as well the angle you set in FMB.

Other thing I remember relative to wind is that game engine are capable of render only a limited number of Windsocks, in my tests 64 + 1 plane, can be less with more planes and objects in the mission.

In Storm of War or Air Combat Group forum are a comprehensive post about clouds and weather object use in FMB (what work and what don't) but after they move for DCS/Bo'X previous contend is no longer available (at least I don't find).

So the direction of the boards (and the AI landing?) should change if I change the wind direction? Maybe I messed up my wind setting.
    Yes, but maybe result in unnatural direction for boards relative to existing runway.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-16-2020 at 12:05.

7. Likes danperin liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Thanks, that is very useful. But what value do i actually change to set the wind direction please? I thought it was 'gust', but that doesn't match the figures in the post I found (even allowing for the modification and rules you've explained above).

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

What I'm asking is how do I get this window from the post above:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

OMG, I've found it.

In FMB select View>Mission parameters

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

OK so my understanding is:

Decide where you want the wind FROM

Clod needs to know this as where the wind is TO

Then, determine what the relevant angle between 90 degrees (East) and the 'To' angle is

If this is anti clockwise (i.e. in the Northern semicircle) the value is +ve

If it is clockwise (i.e in the Southern semicircle) the value is -ve

Enter this value into the FMB via View>Mission parameters>Add flow

I've also made an Excel 'tool' that hopefully correctly converts your desired direction from into the FMB value required for those who don't like maths. The link is below, (to download I think you need to select 'More' (the three dots) on the righthand side of dropbox and then download).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iora4livrk...rter.xlsx?dl=0
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Aug-01-2020 at 09:22.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quick chart of conversions as the wind is required in m/s in case that helps anyone following a similar path of using the FMB.
    Attached Images Attached Images