Thread: Canopy open on take off?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    144.21 MB

Canopy open on take off?

It was normal practice for early RAF fighters to take off with the canopy open. This was particularly important for the Spitfire, because the canopy track was at the top of the entry door. For take off or landing the canopy should be open and the door opened to the second latch. This stopped the canopy slamming shut on impact and allowed the pilot to open the door to exit in the event of a mishap. If the aircraft was inverted it allowed escape, although larger pilots had to somehow get out of the parachute before exit. Check Al Deere's account of his escape from an upside-down Spit on 31 August 1940. I wince when I see current warbird pilots taking off or landing with the canopy shut, and also (but a bit less) when I see this in CloD. Probably not a major issue, but worth raising.

You can also lean to the side to see better past the windscreen during landing - I've checked this in both Spitfire and Hurricane cockpits, sadly not in flight.

And it's normal to drop the port cockpit door in the Tiger during taxiing and landing, for the same reason. If you drop the stbd door, slipstream blows it back up. That, I think, is the reason the strut - mounted ASI is on the port side.

varrattu

Re: Canopy open on take off?

Hi DavePro,

after take off, when early RAF fighters normally had to close/lock the canopy?

~V~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Re: Canopy open on take off?

Excerpts from Vintage Wings of Canada - Flying the Hurricane by Rob Erdos

Upon my first take-off I believe I discovered why they called it a “Hurricane”. Normal take-offs are performed with the canopy fully open, to enable escape in the event of an engine failure and roll-over. Airflow trying to negotiate the corner around that steep blunt windscreen is torn to turbulent shreds. The wind and buffeting in the cockpit are horrendous! That first take-off was accompanied by peals of helpless laughter as my map, checklists and test cards swirled around the cockpit, and the loose ends of my parachute and harness straps beat upon my face. Needless to say, I have learned, and everything is securely stowed for take-off.

Flying the Hurricane is certainly work, but it’s not that hard work. So why, after 30 minutes in the cockpit, am I dripping with sweat? Gosh, it’s hot in there! The engine oil and coolant radiators are mounted in the “bathtub” structure beneath the fuselage, with all of the hot fluid lines running down both sides of the cockpit interior. Consequently, it gets mighty hot. Of course, you could open the canopy. It’s a choice between being swirled or poached. My preferred compromise is to crack the canopy open about six inches.

Daz