Thread: How to start the Ju 88A-5 Late?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

How to start the Ju 88A-5 Late?

Mags on -check
    Fuel cocks on-check
    Prop set to manual-full fine-check, also tried auto
    hit start and my 73 buick roars to life for 3 seconds then dies.
    What am I forgetting? Any manual updates for new AC out yet?
    Thanks

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: How to start the Ju 88A-5 Late?

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    Mags on -check
    Fuel cocks on-check
    Prop set to manual-full fine-check, also tried auto
    hit start and my 73 buick roars to life for 3 seconds then dies.
    What am I forgetting? Any manual updates for new AC out yet?
    Thanks

skud
    Prop pitch to 100%?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Prop pitch to 100%?
    Those bloody props- see my other post. Yes I finally got that bit figured out that it had both pitch and RPM controls modeled. C4 late with VDM did not have pitch control only RPM control. But CloD only has pitch mapping.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

4. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

I am having a little trouble with my new tobruk ju 88 bombers I don't seem to be able to start the engines I see other key commands seem to work , like views opening fuel cocks, setting the throttle, etc but when I press my I for ignition key it doesn't turn over or any thing I have tried a few different throttle and pitch settings but still nothing . I would have thought my old key settings from blitz would have jus t carried over to this but something seems different would any of my fellow bombers have any suggestions , as is I can just sit on the airfield and shoot out my back window , it seems like something simple that I am missing
    Thanks for any suggestions or clues TGIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    I am having a little trouble with my new tobruk ju 88 bombers I don't seem to be able to start the engines I see other key commands seem to work , like views opening fuel cocks, setting the throttle, etc but when I press my I for ignition key it doesn't turn over or any thing I have tried a few different throttle and pitch settings but still nothing . I would have thought my old key settings from blitz would have jus t carried over to this but something seems different would any of my fellow bombers have any suggestions , as is I can just sit on the airfield and shoot out my back window , it seems like something simple that I am missing
    Are you selecting the engines?

You need to select and start the engines individually.

So select engine 1, put the settings in, start it, get it running ok, then select engine 2, do the same thing, etc.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Are you selecting the engines?

You need to select and start the engines individually.

So select engine 1, put the settings in, start it, get it running ok, then select engine 2, do the same thing, etc.
    yes we did that just as we would have done in blitz etc but no luck doesn't turn over do you think I need to fly a single mission and set up something on that first ??

is there any particular settings I want for throttle and pitch I would have thought even if it wouldn't start it would turn over

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

hey tgif - good to see you.

I know you are a very experienced 88 pilot and you would have tried a bunch of stuff already to get this working.

One thing to double check is the pitch - during the beta the pitch controls were changed (from memory - I could be wrong) and at one stage i seemed to recall having a similar issue with the 110. So might be worth just checking to see that when you change the pitch it does what you are expecting it to and that you are trying to start it in the correct pitch setting.

Sorry if you have done all of this to no avail. I see Noufi has already offered some ideas - he's done the 88 flashcard and would know better than most what trouble shooting you could try.

Hope you get it sorted

Ezzie

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

I finally got up a flew a long flight in a C4 late Trop with Noofy's help. (Until Snapper whacked me in his Spit)
    Here's what I learned:
    1) Push both RPM levers to full forward
    2) Set fuel tank selectors to BOTH on Left and Right side You have to map keys for these or use fuel cock one and two (the English used to identify key maps in control settings needs serious work)
    3) Set both mags to 1+2
    3a) Set cowl flaps and oil rad at 100% (as far as I can tell 88 did not have a control to modulate oil rad but its got one here)
    4) bump throttle a bit ~10%
    5) select engine 1 and start
    6) repeat for engine 2
    7) pull back RPM levers to about 75% (this is incorrectly modelled- you should be able to push them full forward for take off without damage)
    8) flaps set to neutral (1 notch for take off)
    9) take off roll try using differential throttle to steer using minimal toe brakes
    10) push yoke forward hard and try to get the tail to lift then your rudder will start working
    11) make sure to rotate at 180 km/h and no more or you will blow a tire
    12) once up pull throttles back to 1.2~1.3 ATA and pull RPM levers back to 2350
    13) retract flaps
    14) climb out at 250 kph -you're on your way
    15) watch ATA at 3-3.5 km when 2nd speed kicks in in the supercharger- reduce ATA accordingly

skud

here'a link to real flight procedure in 88 https://www.allworldwars.com/Ju-88-F...ns-Manual.html be advised this is the A-1 with VS-11 prop but should be same except there is no independent control for prop pitch on the C-5/C4 late with the VDM. Only RPM control and feathering.
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-08-2020 at 02:12.

10. Likes tgif, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Tgif

Ok, I know what the problem is... you are trying to start the Heinkel 111H-6 or the Ju-88A-5 Late.

These have the new updated Jumo 211F engines with constant speed propellors.

And the game currently starts the propellors at 0% pitch.... which is impossible to start.

So the first thing you need to try is to check to see what the pitch setting is... if it is at 0%, then use the pitch control to move it to 100%.

Then try starting.

12. Likes tgif liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Tgif

Ok, I know what the problem is... you are trying to start the Heinkel 111H-6 or the Ju-88A-5 Late.

These have the new updated Jumo 211F engines with constant speed propellors.

And the game currently starts the propellors at 0% pitch.... which is impossible to start.

So the first thing you need to try is to check to see what the pitch setting is... if it is at 0%, then use the pitch control to move it to 100%.

Then try starting.
    Ok thanks to all for suggestions ill start looking at it i know my prop pitch is working i can see the blades turning to a new angle when i look out the window so ill try to start at 100 % pitch and lower throttle . I am not sure I know what was meant by rpm setting swich is that a reference to the prop pitch . this sounds like the prop pitch has gone back to showing as a % # which it was way back when , that got changed one time to no % and i just had to watch the rpm settings like a hawk , I am running on windows 7 and have been avoiding 10 because of laziness do you think I will have to go to windows 10 to make things work ?? . Thank you all for thinking about this I enjoy flying my bombers a lot and getting set up and keeping current with programming and computer changes is a long slow haul for me . I will say this game has really helped me learn alot about computers and programs over the years it forces you to learn many things .I will probably need to take medication to stop talking to myself while it all gets cleared up . The help on the forum is always good just like this people jump in and show things they have discovered etc . ill let you know how its going

TGIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Get the manuals from here and follow instructions

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post359883
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

7) pull back RPM levers to about 75% (this is incorrectly modelled- you should be able to push them full forward for take off without damage)
    You can take-off with pitch full forward. Engine will over rev, but it will hold for a while. If you leave it too long, you will damage your engines. This is why I suggested to take-off with the pitch already at about 75%. It is enough to take you up even with full loading, and one thing less to worry about after take-off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Just glance at your RPM control levers on either side of the throttles. Are they full forward? If yes the you are good to go.

skud

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

ok we are making progress here it looks like when I downloaded my Tobruk up grade it slightly changed a few of my Key commands 95% seem ok but for some reason it changed the select engine keys to something other than what I use ( closed and open brackets for 1& 2) just a finger length away from I key works for me ) so your instincts were right it was a select engine problem I have not really changed my key settings for a long long time I am roughly based on the D rock key bindings which by the way are a good base for bombers to start with if your setting up . I haven't tried all the bombers yet or the wellington to see If keys are ok for that in the past they have worked but the warm ups and throttle settings etc got more critical so maybe the wellingtons like that too don't know yet a couple of things seemed reversed also but now I know to recheck key bindings if something is goofy .
    ok here is one more little question what does "trop" mean on the suffix of the new German planes ?

18. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

ok we are making progress here it looks like when I downloaded my Tobruk up grade it slightly changed a few of my Key commands 95% seem ok but for some reason it changed the select engine keys to something other than what I use ( closed and open brackets for 1& 2) just a finger length away from I key works for me ) so your instincts were right it was a select engine problem I have not really changed my key settings for a long long time I am roughly based on the D rock key bindings which by the way are a good base for bombers to start with if your setting up . I haven't tried all the bombers yet or the wellington to see If keys are ok for that in the past they have worked but the warm ups and throttle settings etc got more critical so maybe the wellingtons like that too don't know yet a couple of things seemed reversed also but now I know to recheck key bindings if something is goofy .
    ok here is one more little question what does "trop" mean on the suffix of the new German planes ?

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Glad to see you are making progress tgif

re trop - it means it a tropical variant with the main change being the addition of an air filter to keep all that nasty sand from ruining your engine. There's a slight performance drop due to the filter.

Buzz may reply with more details on the differences if i have missed any other important bits.

Ezzie

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I finally got up a flew a long flight in a C4 late Trop with Noofy's help. (Until Snapper whacked me in his Spit)
    Here's what I learned:

3a) Set cowl flaps and oil rad at 100% (as far as I can tell 88 did not have a control to modulate oil rad but its got one here)
    Is this new? In the A1 there are definitely levers to control the oil rads, right between the water radiator levers.
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Aug-08-2020 at 17:57.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello tgif

As mentioned by Ezzie, the 'Trop' designation means the aircraft is a tropical model... with sand filters and other equipment.

Right now, we don't have the dust effects implemented in the game, so you don't have to worry about this.

What you do normally is implement the dust filter when taking off to avoid damage, then bypass it when you are above 100 meters to get back full performance.

There are levers in the back of the control panel to the left of the pilot which control the filters.

Or you can designate a key to open/close.