Thread: Ju 88 C4 Late (maybe others too) need love

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Ju 88 C4 Late (maybe others too) need love

Took the c4 late up and I've got to admit I'm liking it more.
    1 Nevermind about the props. I deciphered the mapping and with some help from Noofy they work like they should.
    2) Engine starter sounds like a 1982 Lada with a rusted muffler. The Jumo had a flywheel to wind up and started just like the 109 albeit powered by an electric motor (or a hand crank). There are videos of the 213 being started (darn near same engine) It winds up and you pull the clutch. It's much more machismo than a 1982 Lada.
    3) Flaps seem to have no extra lift, not much drag and don't require any trim changes. Gear down does not change trim from asymmetric drag.
    4) I don't think the 88 had an oil rad you can control independently, I can find no trace of a control for it in any of the manuals.
    5) You should be able to shove the RPM levers full forward for at least a minute for take off without over revving to destruction. That was the indicated by the start position. I think they limited at 2600.
    6) I'm liking the cockpit detail but it's a bit dark hard to make out features.
    Sorry to whine but the Ju 88 needs some love-please.

skud
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-07-2020 at 11:15.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

2. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Re: Ju 88 C4 Late (maybe others too) need love

As a big Ju-88 fan I'm in heaven with Tobruk. Its far more I've ever expected! But here and there a tiny bit of some more love would be wonderful:

Instrument panel seems pretty dark to me, even in the bright north african sun
    A second light for the right side of the panel would be nice. Maybe we get some dawn-missions one day.
    The Mode-2 autopilot still needs an IAS of 400 km/h for leveling. It should work in any stable flight situation.
    Just an observation: An empty A-1 reaches in 4K ALT 390/400 km/h easily. An empty A5-Trop didn't get over 310 km/h?
    I love the new sound effects and would love them even more when they are a little bit louder: gear, flaps, bomb bay, bomb release

Just whining at a high level.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

4. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Just an observation: An empty A-1 reaches in 4K ALT 390/400 km/h easily. An empty A5-Trop didn't get over 310 km/h?
    Just tried it myself: A-5, no stores, channel map, starting at 5000m, diving to 4000m and waiting for speed to stabilize.
    No wind/turbulence, full throttle, 2400rpm, rads 40% open.
    Got 375-380kmh IAS out of it which should be 455-460kmh TAS at that altitude.

Also tested the A-5 trop the same way. Getting the exact same speed out of it.

754530_20200811225536_1.jpg
    Last edited by Karaya; Aug-11-2020 at 17:07.

6. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    varrattu

~V~

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Took the c4 late up and I've got to admit I'm liking it more.
    1 Nevermind about the props. I deciphered the mapping and with some help from Noofy they work like they should.
    2) Engine starter sounds like a 1982 Lada with a rusted muffler. The Jumo had a flywheel to wind up and started just like the 109 albeit powered by an electric motor (or a hand crank). There are videos of the 213 being started (darn near same engine) It winds up and you pull the clutch. It's much more machismo than a 1982 Lada.
    3) Flaps seem to have no extra lift, not much drag and don't require any trim changes. Gear down does not change trim from asymmetric drag.
    4) I don't think the 88 had an oil rad you can control independently, I can find no trace of a control for it in any of the manuals.
    5) You should be able to shove the RPM levers full forward for at least a minute for take off without over revving to destruction. That was the indicated by the start position. I think they limited at 2600.
    6) I'm liking the cockpit detail but it's a bit dark hard to make out features.

skud
    Do you have the pitch in constant speed auto or manual?

The aircraft is normally flown in constant speed mode... manual only used to feather engines.

The limit on use of 2600 rpm and 1.4 ata was 1 minute... in the manual. The engine will last longer than that.... but not much longer.

There is a lot of difference in the lift/drag with flaps down and up.

The oil rad dates from the A-1... as far as I know there was no change from the Jumo 211D to the F. I will look at it again to make sure. This is not the same engine as in the A-4 or C-6. That was the 211J.

Will look at the trim changes.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Aug-12-2020 at 03:48.

9. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks Buzz,
    I really do enjoy flying this 88 better than BoS. It feels more real. BoX 88 balloons when you drop the flaps. Tobruk almost none. Seems like should be somewhere in the middle. Never flown in an 88 but a Dash 8 will balloon.
    I hope you guys take up tidying up the cockpit and give it the same love as the Welly.. And while you are in there can you flip the centigrades arounds on the temp gages! I can find no trace of an oil rad control in the A-1 or A-5 either. Of course it has an oil rad just not controlled separately from cowl flaps.

skudJu88 temp.JPG
    BTW I figured out the prop issue. I had both axis and keys mapped... it was going schizoid

Oh and the cockpit lights!
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-12-2020 at 09:53.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Don't forget to replace the lamp in "secondary illumination" of Ju 88 cockpit, is burned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks Buzz,
    I really do enjoy flying this 88 better than BoS. It feels more real. BoX 88 balloons when you drop the flaps. Tobruk almost none. Seems like should be somewhere in the middle. Never flown in an 88 but a Dash 8 will balloon.
    I hope you guys take up tidying up the cockpit and give it the same love as the Welly.. And while you are in there can you flip the centigrades arounds on the temp gages! I can find no trace of an oil rad control in the A-1 or A-5 either. Of course it has an oil rad just not controlled separately from cowl flaps.

skudJu88 temp.JPG
    BTW I figured out the prop issue. I had both axis and keys mapped... it was going schizoid

Oh and the cockpit lights!
    Hello Skud

Yes, the change to CoG/Flight Attitude with full flaps is not right... will be changed... will not be in next patch, but one after that.

Re. the oil cooler, I will look through the files again... if it was auto, then just chalk it up to another mistake by the original development team.

I should have learned not to trust their work by now, but sometimes I hope not everything they did was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Skud

Yes, the change to CoG/Flight Attitude with full flaps is not right... will be changed... will not be in next patch, but one after that.

Re. the oil cooler, I will look through the files again... if it was auto, then just chalk it up to another mistake by the original development team.

I should have learned not to trust their work by now, but sometimes I hope not everything they did was wrong.
    Thanks Buzz, No problem waiting.
    I don't think the oil rad was ever auto. It was designed to work in concert with the water rad by modulating the cowl flaps. The cowl flaps decide how much airflow both of them get. So neither rads actually have manually controllable liquid flow control only air flow determined by cowl flap position. Mapping a key or axis to control the cowl flap is all we need.

skud
    One more request- can you use the 109 start sounds (flywheel winding up the clutch engaging). I am betting both Jumo and DB starter assemblies were supplied by the same vendor. The 213 starting on you tube (FW190 D-13) sounds just like the 109. That would be an easy correction.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5LBUVS1T8 @4:40

late update after reading Noofy's manual

b. Temperatures for returning oil
    The gauge is located in the engine cowling.
    Temperatures must not be less than 30°C (when using the cold start method) nor more than 105°C.
    In cruise approximately 80°C.
    Adjustment happens automatically with thermostat.
    If the maximal allowable temperatures for cooler fluid and engine oil are exceeded, cowl flaps have
    to be opened or engine power reduced

Another late late edit after reading the flight manual

In t u r n i n g f l i g h t only small deflection of rudder is required. Amount of banking is
    determined by the use of turn and bank instrument.
    T r i m c h a n g e s when adjusting landing flaps and also when retracting and lowering the
    undercarriage cause such a small lateral moment in the entire speed range, that it can be easily
    compensated with small elevator response.
    W h e n a d j u s t i n g t h e e l e v a t o r trim plane slightly tail heavy.
    Difference in the flying attitude on the other hand when landing flaps are closed and on the other
    hand when the landing flaps are fully opened and elevator is set in the corresponding position
    (landing- and cruise positions), is large.
    Therefore when gliding special attention has to be paid on
    the speed indicator.
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-13-2020 at 03:43. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

I wish I could try it out over the Channel against a Sutherland....
    ( so far not possible, but one can dream can't one?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I wish I could try it out over the Channel against a Sutherland....
    ( so far not possible, but one can dream can't one?)
    On the next patch, I believe you will be able to fly any plane on any quick mission, mate.

If you really want to try this now you can do this:

Go to \\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\parts\bob\mission\Quick

Open all ".mis" files and add on the [PARTS] area the "Tobruk part". You will find 'PARTS' right on the top of the .mis file.

[PARTS]
    core.100
    bob.100
    tobruk.100

That way you will be able to select any plane (channel/tobruk) to fly any quick mission (channel/desert).

Last edited by danperin; Aug-13-2020 at 13:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by danperin View Post
    On the next patch, I believe you will be able to fly any plane on any quick mission, mate.

If you really want to try this now you can do this:

Go to \\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\parts\bob\mission\Quick

Open all ".mis" files and add on the [PARTS] area the "Tobruk part". You will find 'PARTS' right on the top of the .mis file.

[PARTS]
    core.100
    bob.100
    tobruk.100

That way you will be able to select any plane (channel/tobruk) to fly any quick mission (channel/desert).

Wow! Thanks Mate...for giving me the nudge now. I'm looking forward to that patch!

17. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Well, the last patch already made it, mate! 5.2

Just updated Blitz and we can 'officially' do this now.

Last edited by danperin; Aug-13-2020 at 13:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Thanks Danperin- Did as you suggested and it worked like a charm.Now I can get another wish : to fly the beautiful little Bf-108 over the beautiful English countryside...

20. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Thanks Danperin- Did as you suggested and it worked like a charm.Now I can get another wish : to fly the beautiful little Bf-108 over the beautiful English countryside...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Yes, there is something very special about the look of this aircraft. It has become a favorite of mine. It has a sleek sporty look.
    I can imagine that many private plane owners of modern aircraft will see a similarity between the Bf108 and the planes they themselves fly.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

23. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Actually I think there may be a new addition to the Bf 108 skins - mottled version. I'm not certain, but I don't think it was available in the release version of the game, but came with one of the new game updates.

The same goes for the Bf109F.
    These skins are now included:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post358875

aaargh!... I need to repaint one of those skins .. the filter is the wrong colour. I just noticed.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

25. Likes danperin, Bonditaria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Actually I think there may be a new addition to the Bf 108 skins - mottled version. I'm not certain, but I don't think it was available in the release version of the game, but came with one of the new game updates.

The same goes for the Bf109F.
    These skins are now included:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post358875

aaargh!... I need to repaint one of those skins .. the filter is the wrong colour. I just noticed.
    I think I know the answer for this , but will ask anyway- any chance of you doing a few Brit or French pre-war civilian skins ala the Tigermoth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by danperin View Post
    Well, the last patch already made it, mate! 5.2

Just updated Blitz and we can 'officially' do this now.

Mark this down to just curious ..This morning I went into the Single missions and added the Tobruk line to each' Miss "file as suggested( it wasn't in any of them.) Was this just a short waste of time as the new patch not only modified QM's but all the Single Missions as well. Now in all of them I can fly any of the new a/c's .So I really jumped the gun by about 5 minutes when the patch came up.My question is if I had waited would all of those 'Tobruk" lines have been automatically added or would the patch have modded this in some other way?
    I think this option in the new version is great- it expands the options for choice almost exponentially with so many choices.I do think one that CloD has had over GB is the numerous ways a mission ( any mission) can be played by choices of which airplane can be chosen or switching aircraft or even sides...It really widens game play. Another is the in game map & how it can easily be moved or the ability to widen of shorten the distance shown. GB still doesn't allow that.
    I do wait patiently for VR tho....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

HEY! Go get a room this is an 88 thread

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

HEY! Go get a room this is an 88 thread

skud
    Here ya go...the ball is back in your court...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Here ya go...the ball is back in your court...
    Haha
    was just razzing you guys
    I guess I'll take a spin in the 108 and see what all the adoration is about

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

I think I know the answer for this , but will ask anyway- any chance of you doing a few Brit or French pre-war civilian skins ala the Tigermoth?
    Put some reference pictures or profiles in the recently created skin suggestion thread. No promises that they will be done though.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post358558

This goes for anyone else too - regarding skin suggestions I won't go searching for references myself. That would double the amount of work needed.

Please remember that we still all do our TFS work at weekends and after work.
    Cheers
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-14-2020 at 12:59.

Principle skinner