Thread: Reporting my issues with Tobruk Desert Wings

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.22 GB

Reporting my issues with Tobruk Desert Wings

External engine volume is greatly decreased in many of the NEW aircraft additions in SP. They sound like lawnmowers. New Spitfires, Kittyhawks etc..
    Panning with TrackIR very jerky when in cockpits of same aircraft in SP. It's a little jerky in extenal view also Possibly from rendering smoke at engine
    exhaust?
    When saving missions in FMB there is a problem saving the name of the mission. If say, you create a mission and want to create a similar mission from it using a different plane. It tries to use the same name as the first one created. Even though you save it as something else. The previous Blitz FMB did not do this. These are all the things I have found so far with Tobruk, as Blitz at this juncture was running perfectly.
    Missing the Loadout screen at the beginning of a SP mission in Plane Options, where there was one in Blitz and COD.
    At start of SP mission when aircraft should be starting, it won't because prop pitch is set to coarse. After setting to fine it fires right up.

Thanks for your efforts and time. I really love this old simulation. Please fix.

whurst1
    Last edited by whurst1; Aug-07-2020 at 13:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Reporting my issues with Tobruk Desert Wings

Quote Originally Posted by whurst1 View Post
    Missing the Loadout screen at the beginning of a SP mission in Plane Options, where there was one in Blitz and COD.
    This button there was removed because don't have any practical use in Blitz/CloD, other than adjust convergence* and cause a lot of confusion/complains.

* Convergence adjust can be done in Plane options. BTW for British fighter is need set for each of 8 weapons, individually, this allow create spray patterns.

At start of SP mission when aircraft should be starting, it won't because prop pitch is set to coarse.
    This was (IMO) a welcomed change, because before was the other way around what in air start missions led to engine blow up in minutes, if player don't pay attention and adjust pitch/throttle, what "triggerhappy" guys don't do and go complain about "fragile engines".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.22 GB

Hi 1lokos, I'm not complaining about the lack of the plane option button, just reporting that I didnt have one. I understand the button really is not needed. I just needed you or someone to tell me it shouldn't be there. In retrospect I should have titled my post "Reporting my observations with Desert Wings Tobruk".

Thanks,
    whurst1
    Last edited by whurst1; Aug-07-2020 at 16:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Whurst

We are working on the sounds... we have added a new sound engine, which uses a surround sound system, but the original sounds could not be simply migrated to the new engine... in many cases they needed to be re-mixed.

We thought we had dealt with most of the issues... but clearly there is more work to be done.

RE. the prop pitch setting... as Soko1 says, previously in airstarts, there was a problem with engines being destroyed.

We are working on finding a solution which has the prop pitch setting corrected to work at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by whurst1 View Post
    External engine volume is greatly decreased in many of the NEW aircraft additions in SP. They sound like lawnmowers. New Spitfires, Kittyhawks etc..
    Panning with TrackIR very jerky when in cockpits of same aircraft in SP. It's a little jerky in extenal view also Possibly from rendering smoke at engine
    exhaust?
    When saving missions in FMB there is a problem saving the name of the mission. If say, you create a mission and want to create a similar mission from it using a different plane. It tries to use the same name as the first one created. Even though you save it as something else. The previous Blitz FMB did not do this. These are all the things I have found so far with Tobruk, as Blitz at this juncture was running perfectly.
    At start of SP mission when aircraft should be starting, it won't because prop pitch is set to coarse. After setting to fine it fires right up.

Thanks for your efforts and time. I really love this old simulation. Please fix.

whurst1

5. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.22 GB

Hi Buzzsaw! I really appreciate the information from you and 1lokos. Sometimes, you just don't know if its you and your computer, or a setting implemented by TF. A large majority of the new setup works wonderfully well with just a few minor control changes. I think that Desert Wings Tobruk is a huge win for everyone.

Thanks,
    Whurst

7. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

I'm not sure if this helps... but it might be worth mentioning.

If you open one of your/our missions in FMB, and change something (ex. chose a different plane) and then press 'play mission', those changes are often saved, so you have corrupted your original mission.
    The best thing to do is open the mission you want to edit. Make changes, then SAVE that alteration as a different mission name before playing it, no matter how small a change you made. This way your original mission should remain intact.

Note: If the original mission has weathering turned on on the Player's plane, then that settings will often remain even if you choose a different aircraft. So, for example, in quick missions, it isn't always possible to turn off weathering without going into the FMB and making sure the weathering is off on the player plane, and saving the mission with a new name.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

9. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

So, it seems like there isn't any chance of the loadout options being integrated into single player, right? It seems like a bit of a hassle to have to go into notepad to save custom loadout changes, so I can test them in Quick Missions. Doing so also risks breaking the mission file. Don't get me wrong, Tobruk is a great update, and I can tell the team put in a lot of work and effort into it. Right now, though, my only disappointment with the update is that the UI hasn't changed much. Having to go into notepad to change mission loadouts for single player is kind of inconvenient for the average user. It should work like it does on multiplayer servers. In the IL-2 GB series it's much easier for the average user to customize convergence and gun loadout options without having to go into notepad to edit the mission file. I also don't understand why we have the option to edit ammo belts in the Plane options menu when it has no effect on single player missions. It would be nice to set up a custom ammo belt and have that be the default one for that aircraft without having to go out of the game to change it.

On a side note, the aircraft flashcards are really helpful for people new to flying these particular aircraft without having to go into Chuck's guide. It would be useful to have them downloaded as part of the core game. I had to go to an external link to download the flashcards from a download hosting site, and the download was really slow. These should either be in the manuals folder inside the game files or accessible from the game's UI.
    Last edited by SignorMagnifico; Aug-08-2020 at 17:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Signor, the plane loadouts can be changed from the options - plane menu from the main menu. You can set up a preset, such as the default ones already there (empty, stock, bomb variations etc) and then select it when customizing the SP mission before launching it!

The flashcard manuals are going to be added back into the game files, TF pulled them to make corrections, they mentioned that they will be back in the files in the next patch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi SignorMagnifico,

Could you please provide the external link for the flashcard manuals to use until they are added back into the game.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Signor, the plane loadouts can be changed from the options - plane menu from the main menu. You can set up a preset, such as the default ones already there (empty, stock, bomb variations etc) and then select it when customizing the SP mission before launching it!

The flashcard manuals are going to be added back into the game files, TF pulled them to make corrections, they mentioned that they will be back in the files in the next patch.
    Yes, I can change the bomb loadout prior to launching the mission; however, I cannot change the ammo belts. There is no longer a "loadout" button that appears prior to launching the single player missions. Also, if the ammo belts are customized in the Plane Options menu, they do not take effect in single player or quick missions. The only way to adjust ammo belts is to use notepad and edit the mission files or open them in the Full Mission Builder, which is a bit of a hassle. In multiplayer, though, ammo belts can be customized on the spot. Also, I am unable to edit the "default" loadout options. It is not possible to overwrite the default ammo belts, so, again, it only works through the interface in multiplayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SignorMagnifico View Post
    Yes, I can change the bomb loadout prior to launching the mission; however, I cannot change the ammo belts. There is no longer a "loadout" button that appears prior to launching the single player missions. Also, if the ammo belts are customized in the Plane Options menu, they do not take effect in single player or quick missions.
    AFAIK - Change ammo belts, adjust fuel, set bombs and fuzes never work in the LOADOUT button existing in the FLY screen just before start the mission, neither for SP single or quick mission, neither for campaign missions, all options are not clickable, and I have all CloD versions since 04/2011. So (IMO) not was lost, just a annoying thing removed.

The only option adjustable in this button (before FLY) was convergence, but this adjust was redundant, because convergence adjusted in OPTIONS > PLANE prevails for any kind of mission.
    I test this today with Cliffs of Dover campaign.

I set MG 1 convergence for 1000/1000 start campaign and see this MG firing above the others. OK.

Now about bombs and fuzes you are right, what you set in Plane > Options are only usable for Quick Mission, selectable under mission plane.

In the above test I leave only MG 1 and 8 with ammo, but in mission all MG's have ammo, so looks like that default - instructed by Weapons 1, set prevail.

This default set seems to be in a file inside game code, not in user accessible files, so when Mission Maker don't set custom ammo belts (what is tedious and don't will please Greek and Trojans) mission code have this:

Weapons 1

I guess this line instruct game use default settings.

When you go to Options > PLane and make changes this is saved as CUSTOM, or with the name you type, and "Weapons 1" instruction prevail over.

beltPreset Custom _Gun03 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 7
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-10-2020 at 18:36.

16. Likes Bonditaria liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

I like the pitch being at 0%.

Another thing to crank to full before you start that baby up.

18. Likes ATAG_SKUD, TWC_Flug liked this post