Thread: Temporary Download for updated Flashcard Manuals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Temporary Download for updated Flashcard Manuals

Hello All

As a temporary measure until we can get the corrected Manual Flashcards into the game in a patch next week, you can download the new Flashcard Manuals from the following links:

(Currently they are available in English, French and German. )

English

https://k2s.cc/file/37f60c8610961/Flashcards_All Aircraft-en - v.2.pdf

French

https://k2s.cc/file/a11b15f43c9c8/Flashcards_All Aircraft-fr - v.2.pdf

Geman

https://k2s.cc/file/27336e12d4352/Flashcards_All Aircraft-de - v.2.pdf
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Aug-07-2020 at 20:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.99 MB

Re: Temporary Download for updated Flashcard Manuals

Hello!

First I wanted to ask what the differences are, because I printed out like 50 pages of the 80 and to know how many will I need to correct, but then I just started to compare the two documents.
    I focused on the engine management tables as I were most interested in them.
    I found that many tables have changed, but also found some inconsistencies. (Based on what changes I saw.)
    I don't know if they are already known to you, but I will share them here just for sure:

Planes still having only throttle percentages and no exact boost values:

Hurricane Mk I
    Hurricane Mk II

Spitfire Mk I
    Spitfire Mk II
    Spitfire Mk V

Fiat CR.42
    Fiat G.50

Bf 108

Other "bugs":

Martlet Mk III - Mixed throttle percentage and boost info.

Heinkel 111 - P2: Engine management table looks OK. <--> H2, H6 looks inconsistent compared to the version of the P2 (time column vs. throttle% column)

Macchi C.202 - No mention on the flashcard at all that there are two versions of the plane.
    (It is logical for those who followed the sim for some time, that the two ata values shown there are for the Series III and Series VIII, but newcomers may will not get it at first glance.)
    (Or at least it is not consistent design throughout the document. See vs.: 109 E-4/E-4B and 110 C-4/C-4B.)

"Hair picking:"

No version info and release date info of the document in the document.

3. Likes Maru, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

2 questions about the Welli flashcard:
    1. cowl positions for take off and cruise
    I used 1/3 for take off and got right after take off engines damaged.
    I used fully closed for cruise with the recommended boost and rpm and got within seconds engine damage.
    In both cases I am pretty sure I did everything right, are the cowl flap settings really correct?

2. Cruise speed 130mph according to the flashcard. Is‘nt that a bit on the low side even on SL?

Otherwise very good with the flashcards, really helps in the beginning to find the controls and set up everything.
    Hope there will be some more tutorials on the weapons and loadouts. Especially the new bomb sight and the Torpedo attack with the sighting bar.

Good work!

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    2 questions about the Welli flashcard:
    1. cowl positions for take off and cruise
    I used 1/3 for take off and got right after take off engines damaged.
    I used fully closed for cruise with the recommended boost and rpm and got within seconds engine damage.
    In both cases I am pretty sure I did everything right, are the cowl flap settings really correct?

2. Cruise speed 130mph according to the flashcard. Is‘nt that a bit on the low side even on SL?

Otherwise very good with the flashcards, really helps in the beginning to find the controls and set up everything.
    Hope there will be some more tutorials on the weapons and loadouts. Especially the new bomb sight and the Torpedo attack with the sighting bar.

Good work!
    Hi Kayo,

Thanks for the feedback. The setting for the cowls are taken from the real Welly flight manual which we used as the basis for the flashcard. There's some fine tuning underway re the flashcards and the real manual probably wasnt written with desert operations in mind re temperatures. Hopefully this will be reviewed/updated in the near future.

re cruise speed - again from the real manual the recommended cruise speed for max range is 130 mph IAS at 22000 lbs all up weight and the gills in the closed position. As mentioned above there is some fine tuning underway so these may change in the near future.

Glad you found the flashcard useful and if you have any more questions etc pls let us know.

Ezzie

6. Likes Kayo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Hi Kayo,

Thanks for the feedback. The setting for the cowls are taken from the real Welly flight manual which we used as the basis for the flashcard. There's some fine tuning underway re the flashcards and the real manual probably wasnt written with desert operations in mind re temperatures. Hopefully this will be reviewed/updated in the near future.

re cruise speed - again from the real manual the recommended cruise speed for max range is 130 mph IAS at 22000 lbs all up weight and the gills in the closed position. As mentioned above there is some fine tuning underway so these may change in the near future.

Glad you found the flashcard useful and if you have any more questions etc pls let us know.

Ezzie
    Hi Ezzie,
    thanks for the reply!
    I guess the cruise speed might be not on SL but at more normal cruising alltitude of -
    10-15k?
    I just tried on SL as I intended to sneak on this blue little airfield to give the Krauts a nasty surprise. Have to test more on higher altitudes.
    It is not really a big problem, normally I close partly down watching the temperatures but this time I was a bit lazy and afterwards I blamed the manual when I had to explain to the CO why I just ruined 2 brand new Pegasus...

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi Ezzie,
    thanks for the reply!
    I guess the cruise speed might be not on SL but at more normal cruising alltitude of -
    10-15k?
    I just tried on SL as I intended to sneak on this blue little airfield to give the Krauts a nasty surprise. Have to test more on higher altitudes.
    It is not really a big problem, normally I close partly down watching the temperatures but this time I was a bit lazy and afterwards I blamed the manual when I had to explain to the CO why I just ruined 2 brand new Pegasus...
    re altitude - yeah i think you are right. Ive read pilot/crew anecdotes that state that early Welly's struggled to get much above 15000 ft when fully loaded so i'm thinking that the posted cruise speed was the IAS at that altitude or thereabouts.

Good luck with the CO!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    Good luck with the CO!!
    Yes, DerDa is tough but fair

10. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Did a quick, by no means scientific, check with the Wellington 1C trop late.
    Fully loaded at SL 2,5 boost (well the mouse over says 2,5, the gauge more 2,7), nicely trimmed on AP, 2250 rpm.
    IAS is 200 mph, engine temperatures are around 230 at 45% gills, 240 at 40%, so a safe setting would be 50% I assume.
    The strange thing, ambient temp in the plane indicated 0 deg and did not change when I climbed either. So either instrument bugged or mission (was ATAG red convoy 1.0).

Could not test higher altitudes as the mission restarted during climb to 10k.

Hope I can do that as well soon, she is such a nice plane to fly and oh boy, that sound!

Ah, just saw I used 2,5 boost instead of 0 this time, sorry, have to redo it and stop reading the flash-cards on my mobile while flying, not 20 years old anymore lol.
    Last edited by Kayo; Aug-09-2020 at 14:22. Reason: added comment

12. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Guys

The Wellington overheat is being tuned.

Normally in a climb you open the rads up to full... at low climb speeds they don't add much drag.... but overheat can be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Hello Buzz
    no problem, I did actually a mistake on the cruise and set boost to 2.5 and not 0. But cruise is a minor problem as you normally close the gills gradually and watch temp.
    Biggest problem is take-off if you are new to the sim and you follow the 1/3 recommendation from the flashcard, get engine damaged and do not realize why.
    I mean any Clod pilot I guess will sooner or later forget to open gills or rads when following checklists is replaced by ahhh 240 degrees 3 miles panic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

I tried it again, take off with 1/3 open gills and it worked fine if you open directly after obtaining positive rate of climb and gear up. Maybe in my first attempts I just was to slow after take-off because I was occupied to long with trimming out, retracting gear and simply fly the thing. Or I started the take off roll with already higher temperatures as I was so fascinated about the engine sound on the ground at medium and low rpm.
    Still have to figure out about the mixture setting got somehow stuck at 70%.

Great help the flashcards with all these new and unfamiliar aircraft! Thanks!

16. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

I tried it again, take off with 1/3 open gills and it worked fine if you open directly after obtaining positive rate of climb and gear up. Maybe in my first attempts I just was to slow after take-off because I was occupied to long with trimming out, retracting gear and simply fly the thing. Or I started the take off roll with already higher temperatures as I was so fascinated about the engine sound on the ground at medium and low rpm.
    Still have to figure out about the mixture setting got somehow stuck at 70%.

Great help the flashcards with all these new and unfamiliar aircraft! Thanks!
    Don't play with the mix in normal circumstances... never adjust the mix away from the default auto rich (100%) to auto lean (0%) if you are taking off, landing, or flying normally.

The only time you need to adjust the mix is if you are planning a VERY long flight at low rpms and boost... and in most circumstances with the Wellington's fuel capacity, you don't need to do this.

If you want to set mix to auto lean, here are the steps:

- Reduce rpms to 2250 or below

- Reduce throttle to 0 boost

- Now change mix from 100% to 0%. Mix will set at a percentage number... which corresponds to the throttle/rpm you have set.

- DO NOT add throttle, or increase rpms.... you should be in a steady state cruise when using auto lean.

- Never use full throttle or rpms for any sustained time when you are in auto lean, you will damage your engine... especially do not use auto lean during takeoff.

When you are ready to go back to auto rich:

- Increase throttle to 100%

- Change mix from 0 (or whatever the percentage was) to 100%.... Mix will go back to 100% (may need to toggle the mix a couple times)

- Increase rpms to what you want
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Aug-12-2020 at 19:00.

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

I normaly do not change mix. Ok it happend maybe once when low on fuel over France in a Hurri or Spit but otherwise not.
    This time I did it because the flashcard says 0% for cruise. But I anyhow did not suceed using the mouse. Do not plan to use it furthermore as I have no intention to spend like 9 hours in the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Ehm, is there any "flashcard" for Libya/Egypt? I mean a map as PDF or PNG with airfields, grid and the deviation?

cu
    henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

21. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Mixture is not to reduce consumption.
    It is to achieve the ideal mix between fuel and oxygen to maximize engine efficiency.
    The more you climb, the less oxygen, and therefore you have to reduce the mixture so that the fuel / oxygen mix remains in the ideal proportions.
    One collateral effect is that the cylinder temperature will increase because with full mixture, you have more fuel than needed, which evaporates and cools the cylinders down.
    You achieve best mix by looking for a peak in RPM, while monitoring cylinder temperatures.
    Now all the above is in RL flying. Not sure how.if this is implemented in the SIM.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Of course you need to lean to achieve best economy in cruise in RL, it affects fuel economy a lot. Of course you need to lean in GA planes as well when encountering high density altitude and need higher power settings.
    I assume in the british and american planes with Auto rich and auto lean the first one leans to best performance and the second one to best economy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Ehm, is there any "flashcard" for Libya/Egypt? I mean a map as PDF or PNG with airfields, grid and the deviation?

cu
    henry

Hi Henry,

We added information about the position and elevation of all airfields on Channel and North Africa maps to the Flashcards.
    It should be there somewhere.

We don‘t actually have a map included.
    Good idea!

25. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post