Thread: 1C Softclub folders-do I need to save them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

1C Softclub folders-do I need to save them?

I have been a player & fan of CloD since nearly day one & have over the years seem to have collected a few CloD related folders in my "1C Softclub folder in "Documents".See screenie below.Yesterday I "deactivated "all of them by adding a"-" to each of them.This had no effect on my newly installed combo of CloD and Desert Wings. I may be missing a few "Single " missions but that's hard to tell. So my obvious question is do I need to even have them just taking up space?Will it make a difference if & when new campaigns over North Africa become available?If I DO need to keep a folder there which one? Finally I have all the same skins in both the Steam apps/common folder and the 1C Softclub CloD folders so does it really matter where I plug the new ones when that come along? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Re: 1C Softclub folders-do I need to save them?

Read this regarding where to put any extra, non TFS skins (put them in the 1C folder)
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post360039

When I install a new version or update of the game I delete the entire 1C folder, but I dont recommend it ( personally I dont feel the need to save any settings, and those will probably be lost if you delete everything).
    But you should always delete the contents of the 'cache' folder within the documents/1C soft club folder.
    If you don't have any special skins you want to keep, then delete all the skins from the Softclub folder, (which works like a sort of cache). They will reappear as you use them, appearing again in that Softclub folder as they are used - being replenished from 'skins' in the main game folder.
    If you do want to save any skins from the Softclub folder before updates, just save them to a location outside of the game, then paste them back into the Softclub folder after clearing/deleting all the skins when updating the game.

It might not be essential to delete all of the skins when updating the game, but bear in mind that we can change skins and make corrections to them. When we make changes we will often keep the same skin names, and merely overwrite skins in the main game folder. So it is a good idea to occasionally clear the Softclub skin folder so they will be replenished with the latest versions of the skins.

One reason for keeping the same skin name for improved versions of the same skin: so it will still work in any missions that have been created using that skin.

Another reason is so we don't end up with many multiple versions of the same skin, where some are obsolete/faulty.
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-08-2020 at 14:59.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

3. Likes danperin, Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

You should delete the content of the cache folder! Even now, if you forgot it before.

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

5. Likes danperin, Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Read this regarding where to put any extra, non TFS skins (put them in the 1C folder)
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post360039

If you don't have any special skins you want to keep, then delete all the skins from the Softclub folder, (which works like a sort of cache). They will reappear as you use them, appearing again in that Softclub folder as they are used - being replenished from 'skins' in the main game folder.
    If you do want to save any skins from the Softclub folder before updates, just save them to a location outside of the game, then paste them back into the Softclub folder after clearing/deleting all the skins when updating the game.

It might not be essential to delete all of the skins when updating the game, but bear in mind that we can change skins and make corrections to them. When we make changes we will often keep the same skin names, and merely overwrite skins in the main game folder. So it is a good idea to occasionally clear the Softclub skin folder so they will be replenished with the latest versions of the skins.
    Just a note about this Setback. This is highly depending on your system. I mean...
    It's from day one of the first patch released bt TFS that my skin folder in the 1C SoftClub ( Path: C:\Users\My PC Name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes ) remains completely empty even after new installations or game updates.
    At least here if I have to enable a custom skin I have to place it in the same folder ( but the one located in the Steam folder ) otherwise I do not see them displayed at all if I place them in the C:\Users\My PC Name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes folder.
    Also all the skins officially released by TFS are located there ( Main Steam folder ) and not on the one located in " Documents ".
    I've read on the forums that this is something happening at random and that it may differ from a PC to the other.
    Mentioned this just in case someone will not see his custom skins displayed if he place them in the C:\Users\My PC Name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes folder.

Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Aug-08-2020 at 17:40.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    Mentioned this just in case someone will not see his custom skins displayed if he place them in the C:\Users\My PC Name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes folder.

I have no problems seeing the skins in my folders located in my C:\Users\MyComputerName\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins, in fact these are the only folders I use for my custom skins. I leave the files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\PaintSchemes\Skins (which is the default install directory), alone as they will remain the un-corrupted files that came with the game. I will copy files form this location and paste them in my documents located folder, and then proceed to customize the skin as I like there. This way I will always have a file to go back to should I want to start from scratch again.

8. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Yep I do exactly the same but I have to do it in the main Steam folder otherwise I'll not see none of them.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

So I think I have the skin question handled , but my real question is still can I trash all the old CloD folders 7 keep just the newest one that seems to have self installed after Desert Wings install & play and make sure I have eliminated cache files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    So I think I have the skin question handled , but my real question is still can I trash all the old CloD folders 7 keep just the newest one that seems to have self installed after Desert Wings install & play and make sure I have eliminated cache files?
    You can clear/remove the skins in the skin folder in 'documents/1C Softclub'. I don't know about other folders, someone else will have to answer.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

For the ones instead that have my same " issue " ( or rather skins displayed only if located in the main Steam folder ) every skin that you will delete will be not displayed anymore so my suggestion is to always make a backup of the skin folder before making any modification to it or in the case you want delete some of them.

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Ok Backed up skins- too easy...then I eliminated all but the latest CloD folder, but in game play I had lost a lot of Single Missions from previous downloads.I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to restore the old CloD folders & copy the various Single missions foldersinto the new CloD folder.What do you think?

Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Blitzen, that is what I did. I hate to say it but i still have 2 CLOD complete folders from before Blitz not to mention 2 or three that I backed up during the Blitz patches and now one final backup from pre Desert Wings Upgrade. When it first went to Blitz from 4.13 I opened my previous back ups and took everything i wanted(i.e. Desastersoft Campaigns, User Campaigns, Single Player missions, skins and anything else which i wanted from the old 4.13 folders. Now admittedly I have been lazy and not deleted the old ones, but i figure I will go through them 1 more time soon and retrieve anything I have missed before I permanently delete them. Everything I have moved from the old days works, all campaigns missions...etc, so it is worth the effort if you have content which you enjoyed before.

Major_setback, first and foremost, What a spectacular job you have done on all of the skins. Thank you very much for your time and effort to give DWsT that much more immersion with these incredible skins.
    Do I understand this correctly? Clear my skin folder(i will back up the whole 'skins' folder???) in My documents/1C soft club/ il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/ PaintSchemes folder, and as I use them in game they will be reinserted with the latest skins? Do I have to clear each individual plane's folder or the whole skins folder at once(assuming steam will recreate the whole skins folder and all of its' contents the first time i start Bitz/Tobruk back up)???
    Would it be the same to clear the --> My Docs skins folder, and then just copy the skins folder from Steam to the My Docs folder???

S!Blade<><

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    For the ones instead that have my same " issue " ( or rather skins displayed only if located in the main Steam folder ) every skin that you will delete will be not displayed anymore so my suggestion is to always make a backup of the skin folder before making any modification to it or in the case you want delete some of them.
    Yes, the skins should never be deleted from the main game folder.

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Meister View Post
    Blitzen, that is what I did. I hate to say it but i still have 2 CLOD complete folders from before Blitz not to mention 2 or three that I backed up during the Blitz patches and now one final backup from pre Desert Wings Upgrade. When it first went to Blitz from 4.13 I opened my previous back ups and took everything i wanted(i.e. Desastersoft Campaigns, User Campaigns, Single Player missions, skins and anything else which i wanted from the old 4.13 folders. Now admittedly I have been lazy and not deleted the old ones, but i figure I will go through them 1 more time soon and retrieve anything I have missed before I permanently delete them. Everything I have moved from the old days works, all campaigns missions...etc, so it is worth the effort if you have content which you enjoyed before.

Major_setback, first and foremost, What a spectacular job you have done on all of the skins. Thank you very much for your time and effort to give DWsT that much more immersion with these incredible skins.
    Do I understand this correctly? Clear my skin folder(i will back up the whole 'skins' folder???) in My documents/1C soft club/ il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/ PaintSchemes folder, and as I use them in game they will be reinserted with the latest skins? Do I have to clear each individual plane's folder or the whole skins folder at once(assuming steam will recreate the whole skins folder and all of its' contents the first time i start Bitz/Tobruk back up)???
    Would it be the same to clear the --> My Docs skins folder, and then just copy the skins folder from Steam to the My Docs folder???

S!Blade<><
    All the skins are in the main game folder so you can safely delete them from you documents/Softclub folder. But if you do this you will lose any 3rd party skins you have downloaded.
    I think you can delete the entire contents of the 'documents' skins folder. If you should encounter a problem then copy and paste them from the main game folder.

Principle skinner

Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Thanks Major_setback. I backed up my cache folder then cleared it and once in game my sound was an annoying loud white noise sound. I restored my cache and all was good again. No more monkeying around for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! I use Win7, so maybe that is why. I will leave my skins as they are for now, thank you very much! LOL!
    What resolution are the current in game skins?

S!Blade<><

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

S!Blade<><
    I went ahead & did this ...I'm not sure I'll use too many of these again with the new Desert Wings up & going, but I have them.
    Desastersoft? I bought all those campaigns & always thought they were the best use of the game platform.Somehow they were lost during the various upgrades .It could be that they are still in the earliest folder, but I'm not sure where.Do you have a location?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Thanks Major_setback. I backed up my cache folder then cleared it and once in game my sound was an annoying loud white noise sound. I restored my cache and all was good again. No more monkeying around for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! I use Win7, so maybe that is why. I will leave my skins as they are for now, thank you very much! LOL!
    What resolution are the current in game skins?

S!Blade<><
    All are 2048x2048

We plan to release simplified skin templates for some of the planes before too long (I'll do the planes I worked on skinning). But we can't do all at once, just a few at a time.
    They will probably appear in the download section of this forum.
    We've been too busy finalizing the game to have the templates available on release.
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-12-2020 at 15:10.

Principle skinner