Thread: Is it possible to increase volume on gun sounds?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    152.31 MB

Is it possible to increase volume on gun sounds?

The .303 volume in-game seems very quiet, any way of increasing the volume? Reading accounts of Spitfire/Hurricane pilots on firing their guns, it was described as "a very loud 'tearing calico' sound...". Don't really experience that in-game however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: Is it possible to increase volume on gun sounds?

Please check that in your in game audio options your volume is set to 100% otherwise there is the chance of missing several sounds from the new sound engine. If then the volume is too loud use the OS audio mixer to lower the volume and not the scroll bar available in the in game audio options
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    152.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    Please check that in your in game audio options your volume is set to 100% otherwise there is the chance of missing several sounds from the new sound engine. If then the volume is too loud use the OS audio mixer to lower the volume and not the scroll bar available in the in game audio options
    Many thanks, I will give it a try.

4. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    152.31 MB

The above suggestion didn't work so is there something that can be adjusted in the conf.ini?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

I have a similar question...but different. I don't seem to hear hits on my aircraft all the time & occassionally find the plane so badly hit before I know its even happened.Of course I could be going deaf, but still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by charlie19 View Post
    The .303 volume in-game seems very quiet, any way of increasing the volume? Reading accounts of Spitfire/Hurricane pilots on firing their guns, it was described as "a very loud 'tearing calico' sound...". Don't really experience that in-game however.
    I wouldn’t mind if the .303 sound volume would be increased.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I don't have Desert Wings but the previous version, and I've noted the 303 guns on the defiants as very quiet and do little damage. I've set a squadron of defiant's pilot to novice, so they fly straight and level, and set gunners to ACE. Then set loose Bf 110s. The 110s bank to setup on the defiants rear (great tactics), the defiant gunners open up ... pop ..pop..pop.pop...pop etc etc. Bf110s appear not to be hit, they then open up with 20mm cannons .. BANG! .. BANG ! ..etc Bf 110 keep firing until getting their eye in ,about 10 seconds, then the Defiant would disintegrate. Only when I change the 303 ammo to AP that bf110s start to take damage ... i had no idea bf 110s were armoured ?

Maybe this will be fixed in the next patch ? I want historic accuracy so may be the game is already correct ?
    ((( Ryzen 5 - 3600X CPU @ 3.8 GHz )))
    ((( MSI GForce GTX 1080 Gaming X )))
    ((( 32 G Ram )))
    ((( Win 10 professional 64 )))
    ((( Samsung 4K monitor )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneHarvest View Post
    I don't have Desert Wings but the previous version, and I've noted the 303 guns on the defiants as very quiet and do little damage. I've set a squadron of defiant's pilot to novice, so they fly straight and level, and set gunners to ACE. Then set loose Bf 110s. The 110s bank to setup on the defiants rear (great tactics), the defiant gunners open up ... pop ..pop..pop.pop...pop etc etc. Bf110s appear not to be hit, they then open up with 20mm cannons .. BANG! .. BANG ! ..etc Bf 110 keep firing until getting their eye in ,about 10 seconds, then the Defiant would disintegrate. Only when I change the 303 ammo to AP that bf110s start to take damage ... i had no idea bf 110s were armoured ?

Maybe this will be fixed in the next patch ? I want historic accuracy so may be the game is already correct ?
    The Bf 110 variants starting from the C-4 onward were all provided by additional armour plates in the cockpit area and the radiators/oil tanks one and armoured cockpit glassed and self-sealing oil tanks ( This feature only on late variants ). As far as I know actually the game do not have them reproduced/added somehow ( but I'm sure than in the next future TFS will take care of it )
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    The Bf 110 variants starting from the C-4 onward were all provided by additional armour plates in the cockpit area and the radiators/oil tanks one and armoured cockpit glassed and self-sealing oil tanks ( This feature only on late variants ). As far as I know actually the game do not have them reproduced/added somehow ( but I'm sure than in the next future TFS will take care of it )
    I found the problem, the default ammo for 303 is "ball". Once I changed to AP and Incendiary Tracer, 110s burned nicely. Dramatic change, from 5 dead Defiants and 1 dead 110 to 1 dead Defiant and 4 dead 110s.

((( 32 G Ram )))

11. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Dramatic change, from 5 dead Defiants and 1 dead 110 to 1 dead Defiant and 4 dead 110s.

Let's be honest your first result is probably more historically accurate. The defiant was an underpowered deathtrap, especially for the poor numpty in the gunner's position.

13. Likes BOO, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Looking ay m O levels - Id have been that numpty...
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

15. Likes Yo-Yo liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

A few points ;

(1) I never realized Ball ammo was so weak ?

(2) 264 Squadron proven the success of the defiant, 141 raw squadron, who's Co hated the defiant, was destroyed when faced with Me 109 ace squadron. But 4 x 303 pop guns was out-of-date by wars beginning - it needed 2 x 50 cals.

(3) Turret was too small, it couldn't take a 20mm cannon, and gunner could NOT wear his chute, needing to store it .. away ... !!

(4) Defiant needs to be flyable so gamers can get the experience of being in a turreted fighter - co-ordination between pilot and gunner. etc
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

If you want historic accuracy, the .303 AP was not effective and removed early from belts. Best round - DeWilde. The .303 AP was to small to develop enough kinnetic energy to penetrate further than the skin despite hardening. Not massive enough.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Catseye View Post
    If you want historic accuracy, the .303 AP was not effective and removed early from belts. Best round - DeWilde. The .303 AP was to small to develop enough kinnetic energy to penetrate further than the skin despite hardening. Not massive enough.
    ok, good point, but what happened to the Dewilde ammo ? Its seem to have vanished as an option ?

((( 32 G Ram )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Catseye View Post
    Actually not the case.

The standard loading from 1941 on the .303 Browning was 50% AP and 50% DeWilde.

A .303 AP round will not penetrate particularly well, but it is more effective than ball. And DeWilde ammunition is ball type... so the idea is the AP makes a hole and the DeWilde goes through the hole and starts a fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Actually not the case.

The standard loading from 1941 on the .303 Browning was 50% AP and 50% DeWilde.

A .303 AP round will not penetrate particularly well, but it is more effective than ball. And DeWilde ammunition is ball type... so the idea is the AP makes a hole and the DeWilde goes through the hole and starts a fire.
    AP was quickly withdrawn as innefective as it could not penetrate any better than ball into main structures past the skin. So it may have been standard in 1941 but didn't survive.
    Ball design of the DeWilde was just fine in penetrating igniting the DeWilde incendiary and didn't need a so called mini hole to punch through first as mathematically difficult as two shells hitting the same spot as that may be. Also the fact that the DeWilde did not ignite until contact with an object allowed it to penetrate further in a molten state. If I recall, the axis complained that it should not be allowed due to conventions in place.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy