Thread: Do I have to "arm" bombs in Desert Wimgs ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Do I have to "arm" bombs in Desert Wimgs ?

I've flown several bombing missions in 109's, Hurri-bombers & Ju-87's and never observed my bombs actually exploding ( to be fair I've ususlly been shot to ribbons before I could actually watch for results...) so do I have to manually arm bombs on some or all aircraft ( including the He-111's carrying torpedoes ) before desired exploding effects are given? I seem to remember having to do this way back when I flew CloD more often & would have to click on the central bomb arming panel and/or do key mapping to this function.
    Yes I know I could do a quick video of one of my bombing missions but thought it might save time & effort to just ask...
    Thanks!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Do I have to "arm" bombs in Desert Wimgs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I've flown several bombing missions in 109's, Hurri-bombers & Ju-87's and never observed my bombs actually exploding ( to be fair I've ususlly been shot to ribbons before I could actually watch for results...) so do I have to manually arm bombs on some or all aircraft ( including the He-111's carrying torpedoes ) before desired exploding effects are given? I seem to remember having to do this way back when I flew CloD more often & would have to click on the central bomb arming panel and/or do key mapping to this function.
    Yes I know I could do a quick video of one of my bombing missions but thought it might save time & effort to just ask...
    Thanks!
    I assume so.
    There is a button to arm the bombs and i always Arm them before dropping and my bombs always seem to explode just fine (Usually with me at the edge of the frag zone xD).

Never tried dropping a bomb without arming them first though.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Definitely will not explode if you do not arm them. They also will not explode if you have an arming delay set long and you drop them so close to the ground that they don't have time to arm.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Definitely will not explode if you do not arm them. They also will not explode if you have an arming delay set long and you drop them so close to the ground that they don't have time to arm.
    Yes I wonder about low level bombing & short delay.What do you suggest?
    Re " Arming delay: does this mean a delay in arming after they've left the plane or a delay of when they explode after hitting the target?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Yes I wonder about low level bombing & short delay.What do you suggest?
    Re " Arming delay: does this mean a delay in arming after they've left the plane or a delay of when they explode after hitting the target?
    You arm them before you start the bomb run. Actually you can do it already during take off preparation in game, because there is no CO to rip your ... off.
    If you do low level bombing (low as in really low) you should set the fuses to 11 sec. to be save.
    If you have 500lb bombs with 1 sec, you get torn into pieces by the explosion. With smaller bombs you can get away with 1 sec. and even sometimes kill a fighter that is too close on your six. Known by the wonderful word „snargling“ because practiced and perfected on many delightful events by Snarglepuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    You arm them before you start the bomb run. Actually you can do it already during take off preparation in game, because there is no CO to rip your ... off.
    If you do low level bombing (low as in really low) you should set the fuses to 11 sec. to be save.
    If you have 500lb bombs with 1 sec, you get torn into pieces by the explosion. With smaller bombs you can get away with 1 sec. and even sometimes kill a fighter that is too close on your six. Known by the wonderful word „snargling“ because practiced and perfected on many delightful events by Snarglepuss.
    Where is the time adjustment slider or preference....I've somehow missed it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

In the loadout screen you can select your bombs. There is another tab called bomb fuzes where you can then select the type of fuse.

First you select which bomb you want to adjust (upper right). Different fuses are in the drop down list in the middle and can have different arming delays (that is time it takes after you drop the bomb for it to arm) and the delay after it hits the ground to the explosion is the slider. The british bombs at least have options for 0s, 0.00x seconds, 1 second, or 11 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    In the loadout screen you can select your bombs. There is another tab called bomb fuzes where you can then select the type of fuse.

First you select which bomb you want to adjust (upper right). Different fuses are in the drop down list in the middle and can have different arming delays (that is time it takes after you drop the bomb for it to arm) and the delay after it hits the ground to the explosion is the slider. The british bombs at least have options for 0s, 0.00x seconds, 1 second, or 11 seconds.
    In Single Missions or for that matter I haven't found a way to get into "Load out" screen.In the old days it used to come up when "My Plane" was checked.Now I still get to choose a skin I like but not have an option to go to "Loadouts".Its been quite a while since I did try to use this utility but I do remember it being a bit confusing & not always working,not to mention the options were vast. Did they do any work on it? can you suggest a certain way of calling it up for the purposes described? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

If you go to the main menu - options - plane you can build and save a loadout preset, then it can be selected in the drop down list when you are choosing the quick mission. The Loadout screen after the quick mission loads wasn't functional so it got removed as far as I know.