Thread: Tomahawk Mk II help - engine keeps dying after 15 minutes of flight time

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Tomahawk Mk II help - engine keeps dying after 15 minutes of flight time

Following the 'newest' flashcards and get airborne no problem. Fly for 15 or 20 minutes (around 15,000 ft) with 50% fuel (wing tanks selected) and all of a sudden the engine starts shaking and quits. Oil and radiator temps below red line - I cannot figure it out. How is everyone else doing? Am I missing something NOT on the flashcards? Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Tomahawk Mk II help - engine keeps dying after 15 minutes of flight time

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    Following the 'newest' flashcards and get airborne no problem. Fly for 15 or 20 minutes (around 15,000 ft) with 50% fuel (wing tanks selected) and all of a sudden the engine starts shaking and quits. Oil and radiator temps below red line - I cannot figure it out. How is everyone else doing? Am I missing something NOT on the flashcards? Any help is appreciated.
    Max temps are 90 degrees oil and 125 degrees coolant. But you should not be running those temps all the time... those are max. not healthy. Normal operating is around 85 degrees oil/110 degrees coolant.

Also are you using the propellor in constant speed or Manual?

If you are in Constant speed, then you can't over-rev the engines... but in manual you can easily do so.

In manual you need to keep your revs at no higher than 3000, but again, should not keep them there all the time.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Max temps are 90 degrees oil and 125 degrees coolant. But you should not be running those temps all the time... those are max. not healthy. Normal operating is around 85 degrees oil/110 degrees coolant.

Also are you using the propellor in constant speed or Manual?

If you are in Constant speed, then you can't over-rev the engines... but in manual you can easily do so.

In manual you need to keep your revs at no higher than 3000, but again, should not keep them there all the time.
    Just tried again and the same thing happened (settings/temps at the time the engine quit):

RPM 2600
    Manifold 35
    Carb - full open (0%), pulled all the way out (should this bee 100% in which case the heat should be on and pushed all the way in?)
    Radiator - full open (100%)
    Prop - auto/constant speed
    Oil temp 81
    Water/coolant temp 105
    Carb temp -3

Always occurs about 15 minutes into flight, always happens around 15,000 ft

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Angry Re: Tomahawk Mk II help - engine keeps dying after 15 minutes of flight time

Nevermind, figured it out. Was carrying 50% fuel - wing tanks were running dry and I wasn't switching over to the fuselage fuel tanks. D'oh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Nevermind, figured it out. Was carrying 50% fuel - wing tanks were running dry and I wasn't switching over to the fuselage fuel tanks. D'oh!
    I do this sort of stuff as a matter of course!

Can be masively frustrating... but.... also massive rewarding.

Im currntly 28 miles off the mainland..... so didnt get to see launch day... and have sporadic connections at best right now.

Sooo wanna overheat a llane and crash again!

Maybe you can be my stunt double!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

I believe on the Thomahawks you want to run the Center fuel cell first and then the wings..otherwise it tends to want to snap roll . Someone correct me if im wrong. At 50% fuel , im not sure how much fuel if any is in the center tank tho.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    I believe on the Thomahawks you want to run the Center fuel cell first and then the wings..otherwise it tends to want to snap roll . Someone correct me if im wrong. At 50% fuel , im not sure how much fuel if any is in the center tank tho.
    Ribbs see pic and link it appears the the P40 fuel tanks were all in centre fuselage apart from drop tank. http://yolo.net/~jeaton/Propplanes/p40/p40.htm

P40 fuel.JPG
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

8. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

On that same page it shows the P-40D/E as having fuel tanks in the wings.

Also on the pic in your post Jack, it says "Main wing tank" on the top right.
    And if I'm reading that picture correctly those flat tanks that at first glance seem to be on the bottom of the fuselage, are actually positioned in the wings!
    See numbers 24 - 27 for that.

Last edited by Karaya; Aug-12-2020 at 02:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Yes you are correct , but they appear to be in the part of the wing structure beneath the centre line and in line with the nose and tail of the fuselage and probably do not affect role as the empty. The structure they are in probably supplies little or no lift to the aircraft, so the case could be made that that part of the structure is technically not a wing.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.