Thread: Tomahawk mkII gunsight

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Tomahawk mkII gunsight

I'm not sure its even a bug but thought best to ask here.

When I set the gunsight to my usual settings (34 and 230) the width indication displayed on the sight is much much bigger than the equivalent setting in the spitfire or hurricane. I figure maybe it is possibly a different varient of the gunsight, maybe the ring is smaller or something, but it seems REALLY different.

Should I trust what the sight is showing me?...
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Re: Tomahawk mkII gunsight

I've noticed that too, I don't really have to adjust the sights on the P-40 to get the sight picture I usually like on the Spitfire. I wonder if the default visuals are set to the wrong distance on the P-40 or something.

(Also, slightly related question - is it ok to refer to the Tomahawk as the P-40? I know the manufacturer that must not be named hates any unapproved reference of their aircraft the F four F w___cat and that's why we stick to Martlet.)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post

(Also, slightly related question - is it ok to refer to the Tomahawk as the P-40? I know the manufacturer that must not be named hates any unapproved reference of their aircraft the F four F w___cat and that's why we stick to Martlet.)
    I may be tallking out of my exhaust, but my understanding is that probably no it shouldn't be, but it is really a case of To-may-to or To-mah-to and Po-tay-toe or Po-tah-toe.

US aircraft designation gives a letter for various designated roles, here's wiki's take on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924_U...gnation_system

So most aircraft woudl have an X when experimental then be given their 'real' letter when put into active service in a defined role. For the P 40 according to that site 'P' is for Pursuit.

Tomahawk is the name for the British 'export' version of the P40, which may possibly have had a few technical differences friom the US used equivalent because, again this may be exhaust fumes on my part, I think the RAF could at least in theory make requests for certain 'factory fitted optional' features when receiving US aircraft, no matter how small a difference they may be you could still argue that that made it a different aircraft?

So I would say as 'P' is a US term and indicated how the US intended use of the P40, but not necessarily any other nation, and along with the possibility of loadout, or equipment differences because the RAF got an export model, it would (if being pedantic) not be 100% correct to say the Tomahawk is a P40.

But of course, to-may-to or to-mah-to, it really is the same thing in many ways...

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Noticed this too. Bug?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I typically change the sight in the P40 to 250yds, I haven't seen any movement or change in the actual size of the sight
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Without naming names it's my understanding that calling it Martlet is appropriate because it didn't get the PW engine of that other plane. While Tomahawks were equal to US used P-40s.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

I flew the Tomahawk again the other night; when I put the sight on twice the distance I normally do (460 yards) it 'looked' like it was now right, so my thumb in the air suggestion is that it is 'out' by a factor of 2.

8. Likes Pinguim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    478.84 MB

Tomahawk gunsight still wrong.

Yoyo's suggestion is a nice workaround.

10. Likes Karaya liked this post