Thread: Wellington 1C/Late bomb sight opening & turning - small addition to Flashcards needed

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Wellington 1C/Late bomb sight starting, setting-small additions to Flashcards needed

Trying to get bombing going in the Wellington 1C/Late and 1C/Late Trop.

Following the instructions in the Flashcards, I would suggest adding one more step:

Wellington page 6.
    55. Turn on sight using bound key (‘Alt L’) and move aircraft heading left or right using changes to directional gyro (‘Alt-left/right’ arrow) until target is aligned with centred front gun gunsight and the vertical line of bombsight points to target (B7)
    However, the sight is covered by some kind of a metal piece, and to move that metal cover out of the way requires the somewhat un-intuitively named "Toggle Gunsight Dimmer" key.

For those curious about the details, being able to look through the bomb sight takes two steps:

1. "Toggle Gunsight Illumination" (Alt-L) to turn on the little cross-hairs. This is under Controls/Keys/General.
    2. "Toggle Gunsight Dimmer" (not assigned a key by default as far as I know) which is found under Controls/Keys/Aircraft.

Also, you must be sitting in the Bombardier seat to execute these two commands.

I'd suggest updating the instructions to this:

Wellington page 6.
    55. Open the sight using the "Toggle Gunsight Dimmer" key (assign a key in Controls/Aircraft) and then turn on sight crosshairs using bound key (‘Alt L’). Move aircraft heading left or right using changes to directional gyro (‘Alt-left/right’ arrow) until target is aligned with centred front gun gunsight and the vertical line of bombsight points to target (B7)
    I'll post a second (equally minor) issue in a comment below.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Aug-11-2020 at 20:22.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: Wellington 1C/Late bomb sight opening & turning - small addition to Flashcards ne

Another possible tweak to the flashcards for Wellington 1C/Late.

Some people seem confused about how the "advanced" bomb sight in the Welly 1C works. You only enter target elevation above/below sea level and windspeed/direction.

The bomb sight automatically picks up aircraft airspeed & altitude from the aircraft's instruments as the flight progresses. So . . . you don't have to enter those manually at all.

Here is what the Flash Card currently says. It is a 100% accurate but I think many will be confused just due to the way the bomb sight works:

Wellington page 5

51. Before reaching the initial point (IP) (recommend doing this prior to take off) move to bomb aimer’s position (recommend bound key: ‘Alt 2’) and enter wind speed (B3), wind direction (B4) and the target’s altitude above sea level (B6) if known
    This has indeed led to some confusion--for example, see this bug report: https://www.tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/1186

Looking at the Bombardier's instruments, it appears that the bombardier must enter the wind speed via "Bomb Sight -Velocity" buttons, the wind direction via the "Bomb Sight - Side Slip" buttons, and target elevation above sea level (NOT the aircraft's altitude) via "Bomb Site - Altitude". So if current conditions (per Tab 7-3) are say "Wind 090 3 Strip 180" and if your bombing target is at 420 feet above sea level, you should enter:

• "Bomb Sight - Side Slip 90 degrees" using the keys bound to "Side Slip"
    • "Bomb Sight - Velocity 3.0 mph" using the keys bound to "Bomb Sight Velocity"
    • "Bomb Sight - Altitude 420 feet" using the keys bound to "Bomb Sight Altitude"

Then if you press "Bomb Release" when the crosshairs are above your target, you should hit it (regardless of speed, altitude, etc of your aircraft).

Again, to those of us already familiar with the aircraft and bombing procedures, it probably isn't too hard to figure this out. But for newbies etc it is not very intuitive to use Bomb Sight Side Slip, Velocity, and Altitude to enter these values.

Assuming all the above is correct, I suggest the following updates to the Flashcard:

Wellington page 5

51. Before reaching the initial point (IP) (recommend doing this prior to take off) move to bomb aimer’s position (recommend bound key: ‘Alt 2’) and enter wind speed (B3), wind direction (B4) and the target’s altitude above sea level (B6) if known. Wind speed entry is via key binding "Bomb Sight - Velocity"; wind direction uses "Bomb Sight - Side Slip"; target altitude uses "Bomb Sight - Altitude".

Note: This advanced bomb sight automatically picks up the aircraft's speed and altitude as the flight progresses. Older bomb sights required manual entry of those values, but with this advanced new bomb site, manual entry of aircraft speed and altitude is no longer required.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Aug-11-2020 at 20:20.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Wellington 1C/Late bomb sight opening & turning - small addition to Flashcards ne

More "friendly" impossible...

"Wind 090 3 Strip 180"
    "Bomb Sight - Velocity 3.0 mph" using the keys bound to "Bomb Sight Velocity"
    You hit the target?
    Because Tab-7-# "3" is in meters per second ~6.7 MPH/ 5.83 knots.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-12-2020 at 00:03.

4. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    More "friendly" impossible...

You hit the target?
    Because Tab-7-# "3" is in meters per second ~6.7 MPH/ 5.83 knots.
    Aha, good point. I wasn't sure what the units are for the Tab-7-2; mostly the game presents metric or English units depending on which side you're on. So . . . I was jumping to a conclusion.

I did in fact hit the target but I was only a couple thousand feet up and the target was an airfield. A measly 3.7mph wind doesn't count for much there.

So, I'll try it the other way around--and from much higher--and we'll see if that goes better.

But it does point out--worth mentioning units in the Flashcards, too, because everyone will run into that same issue.

(And I believe the wind, weather etc is very much improved in this version--we haven't run into issues like that too much in the past just because there were so many problems with wind & weather that most servers just didn't make use of them much.)

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Flug - the manuals are being updated although I'm somewhat out of the loop re the latest work so am not sure what changes are being made to the Welly. We were aware of the need to add the dimmer control and you have raised some good points in your other comments.

Pls bare with us if we dont address them straight away - i think there's a tight schedule for the next manual update so these may not have been considered due lack of time. But we will take a look and see what we can do to adjust in due course.

Thanks

Ezzie

7. Likes Gingerbread, ATAG_TCP liked this post