Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Op. Sandstorm, SITREP

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Op. Sandstorm, SITREP

Looking for the radar stations is good fun!

With the (land) convois we have a problem though.
    A blue convoi was reported leaving Gambut heading to Sidi Azeiz.
    Indeed we found three convois, one just to the east of Sidi Azeiz airfield, shortly after the message appeared, two other ones further north and west.
    We destroyed all three of them, never getting a success message.

The vehicles showed some strange behaviour:
    After we destroyed some of them I saw two trailers quite some way back on the road. When I sot at them, they just disappeared without a trace when the first bullte hit.
    Another trailer within the coloumn lost its rear end, jsut the truck was still driving. It had been quite at the end of the convoi and several vehicles in front of it were destroyed. It then started to teleport forward several times, always about 30 metres forward and continued to do so until destroyed.

S!

DerDa

2. Likes Kayo liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

A lot of that sounds like online issues with packets, but not all the convoys are part of the mission. If I remember right there are 4 convoys for each side that spawn throughout the mission but have nothing to do with mission success, so if you destroy them it does nothing for the mission. There are two other convoys for both sides that are part of the mission points.

4. Likes ATAG_Ribbs, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

We (FG28) think there is a small mistake in the breifing. The AAA convoy from Tobruk to Fort Beddud might head to the other west along the coast. We searched west of Tobruk without success when DerDa came up with the concept that if we would have written the briefing we surely would have mistaken west for the other west. And bingo, Fort Beddud is actually on the map but äh, yes, how shall we say, ok, east of Tobruk

6. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    when DerDa came up with the concept that if we would have written the briefing we surely would have mistaken west for the other west.
    But only after we were flying all the way to Derna in the western West.

8. Likes Kayo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    But only after we were flying all the way to Derna in the western West.
    DerDa, I intentionally omitted this part to make the reader believe we are an extra bright bunch of chaps that do a thorough briefing before taking to the air!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

We (FG28) think there is a small mistake in the breifing. The AAA convoy from Tobruk to Fort Beddud might head to the other west along the coast. We searched west of Tobruk without success when DerDa came up with the concept that if we would have written the briefing we surely would have mistaken west for the other west. And bingo, Fort Beddud is actually on the map but äh, yes, how shall we say, ok, east of Tobruk
    "-Axis AAA convoy, heading west from Tobruk to Fort Beddud"

I read it as a AAA convoy originating from somewhere west of Tobruk, and headed to Fort Beddud (which is east of Tobruk)...

We have prepared an index of all towns and places in the Tobruk map with their map locations. This should be part of next patch
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

DerDa, I intentionally omitted this part to make the reader believe we are an extra bright bunch of chaps that do a thorough briefing before taking to the air!!!!
    Who are you going to fool?
    We are well-known here ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    "-Axis AAA convoy, heading west from Tobruk to Fort Beddud"

I read it as a AAA convoy originating from somewhere west of Tobruk, and headed to Fort Beddud (which is east of Tobruk)...

We have prepared an index of all towns and places in the Tobruk map with their map locations. This should be part of next patch
    Ah, that sounds I suppose reasonable. We just saw heading west and yes headed west
    Good with the index as you need to zoom in the map to be able to see the names of the locations that you get completely confused where you are.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Well I would take that to mean the convoy is heading west. Perhaps the difference for someone native English speaking to one writing it who maybe is not. I can see how it can be misleading, but only since you guys point it out. Still I am sure all the extra map reading comes in useful.
    No wonder I never found Fort Beddud on the map.
    As a general point on all these maps, it would help if some of these obscure little places were given a grid ref in the briefing, pretty please. Many times the name does not show up unless heavily zoomed in, then its such a tiny field of view. Apart from the 3 or 4 large coast towns, I would guess most of these settlements/forts are completely unknown to the majority of us.

14. Likes Kayo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

OK there you go. Here is the list of towns in the Tobruk map.

Tobruk Map Town Locations.pdf

The grid references correspond to the "Tobruk Map for flashcards.jpg" located in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals\aircraft\Maps for flashcards", or accessible in game from the main menu through Extras > Manuals > aircraft > Maps for flashcards

By the way the last page of the Flashcards has a similar index but for the airfields of the Tobruk map...

Enjoy
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

16. Likes ATAG_Hawk, Kayo liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Probably just a typo, lots happening in both my missions, lots of copy/paste lines of code and descriptions than change a few words. Probably just forgot to omit the "west" in that sentence.

18. Likes Kayo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus View Post
    Probably just a typo, lots happening in both my missions, lots of copy/paste lines of code and descriptions than change a few words. Probably just forgot to omit the "west" in that sentence.
    Most probably and it really is a very minor detail in a great online mission.

We just wanted to report it, before the whiners find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Great Nofy! That helps a lot until we know this map by heart.
    In the long term it would be great if this, the flashcards and a let's say a better map could be integrated into the game as a sort of knee-board, like in real life. So you have everything in the cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Great Nofy! That helps a lot until we know this map by heart.
    In the long term it would be great if this, the flashcards and a let's say a better map could be integrated into the game as a sort of knee-board, like in real life. So you have everything in the cockpit.
    Sure

PS. In real life you have to bring your knee board into the cockpit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Sure

PS. In real life you have to bring your knee board into the cockpit...
    Yeah, that's true, maybe I should get and dust mine and print out flashcards etc and take it with me in my virtual Cockpit, thanks for the inspiration. Only concern is that my family then might think I got nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Yeah, that's true, maybe I should get and dust mine and print out flashcards etc and take it with me in my virtual Cockpit, thanks for the inspiration. Only concern is that my family then might think I got nuts
    Welcome to the club

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Most probably and it really is a very minor detail in a great online mission.

We just wanted to report it, before the whiners find out.
    Still looking for lost dots, are you?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Only concern is that my family then might think I got nuts

you should be so lucky that there is even a remote possibility of them thinking otherwise.

26. Likes Kayo liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123