Thread: Nitrous has added nav beacons to Combat Sims Junkies Server

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Nitrous has added nav beacons to Combat Sims Junkies Server

In case anyone want to test them out.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

2. Likes ATAG_Noofy, Bonditaria, 1lokos, Biggs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Nitrous has added nav beacons to Combat Sims Junkies Server

good lad, that Nitrous

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Just took a test drive with the nav beacons. This is what I love about CoD, it's more like real flying. The Lorenz is a pain with all the jumping but that's probably how it looked IRL. I expected the light to come on when I passed over the beacon but it didn't. Probably burned out like the rest of the lights in the 88 cockpit
    The Lorenz gets its signal from one nav freq while the DF gets it from another. I'll have to study up on that and using the autopilot modes correctly.

Now we just need night, weather and some cockpit lights and we're ready for instrument navigation and blind flying

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

5. Likes ATAG_Soldat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

For more on Lorentz you can check this thread:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=31152

Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Bulletin say I don't have privileges to access that kink

vBulletin Message
    ATAG_SKUD, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    Bulletin say I don't have privileges to access that kink

vBulletin Message
    ATAG_SKUD, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Ah yes, my bad.
    This thread was during the beta testing of Cliff of Dover Blitz 4.56 about a year ago.
    It would then be restricted to beta testers only...
    There was a mission specifically designed to test the Lorentz system. I don't own it, but I'll ask the author if it is possible to share it here.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Ah yes, my bad.
    This thread was during the beta testing of Cliff of Dover Blitz 4.56 about a year ago.
    It would then be restricted to beta testers only...
    There was a mission specifically designed to test the Lorentz system. I don't own it, but I'll ask the author if it is possible to share it here.
    I think I found it already amongst all the threads

skud

10. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I think I found it already amongst all the threads

skud
    Well here it is just in case.
    The author ATAG_Oskar said no problem to publish it.

Lorentz.rar

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Just took a test drive with the nav beacons. This is what I love about CoD, it's more like real flying. The Lorenz is a pain with all the jumping but that's probably how it looked IRL. I expected the light to come on when I passed over the beacon but it didn't. Probably burned out like the rest of the lights in the 88 cockpit
    The Lorenz gets its signal from one nav freq while the DF gets it from another. I'll have to study up on that and using the autopilot modes correctly.

Now we just need night, weather and some cockpit lights and we're ready for instrument navigation and blind flying

skud
    Here are 2 missions, 1 day and 1 night for blind bombing Ramsgate using only NDB's (% damage ala Atag_Freya)

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=8840

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks guys!

skud
    OK I think I see the issue with the Lorenz on Nitrous map. He hasn't placed the object SBA Hat antenna, only NDBs. Funny the range still works on the Lorenz maybe picking up beacon, if so that's some impressive modelling
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-15-2020 at 09:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Thanks guys!

skud
    OK I think I see the issue with the Lorenz on Nitrous map. He hasn't placed the object SBA Hat antenna, only NDBs. Funny the range still works on the Lorenz maybe picking up beacon, if so that's some impressive modelling
    Yes, the Lorenz receiver picks up the NDB signal if you tune it to that frequency. But the signal is garbage.

The SBA transmits the correct signal but you also want the outer and inner markers at 5km and 300m from the runway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks Oskar what is it that the outer and inner markers do for the signal?

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

When you fly directly over them the light on the Lorenz instrument is illuminated. The signal is directed straight up in a narrow beam. If you see the light you know you are in the right place.

These beacons operate on a fixed frequency, 380khz, that is not related to your secondary nav frequency setting.
    Last edited by ATAG_Oskar; Aug-15-2020 at 23:58.

17. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Some good explanations by 1lokos here:

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos
    "The "Lorenz Beam" was designed for flying a specific course-line towards a short-range beacon that had relatively wide beam-aperture (5º)."

BTW - Lots of original documentation about Lorenz (FuBl-1) in this DCS (Russian) forum about the matter:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...8&postcount=22

19. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks guys,
    Very Nice. I set them at 300 m and 5km respectively. Flew over them a few times did not see indicator light come on. Does the light work in DWT?

Need to find blind approach guides online somewhere. I vaguely remember the protocols for approach with VOR ~25 years ago

I Have attached my simple little mission which after much trial and error was successful. . Let me know if anything looks wrong.

skud

Attachment 49467skud lorenz mission.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Flew over them a few times did not see indicator light come on.
    Try it in daylight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Thanks guys,
    Very Nice. I set them at 300 m and 5km respectively. Flew over them a few times did not see indicator light come on. Does the light work in DWT?

Need to find blind approach guides online somewhere. I vaguely remember the protocols for approach with VOR ~25 years ago

I Have attached my simple little mission which after much trial and error was successful. . Let me know if anything looks wrong.

skud

Attachment 49467skud lorenz mission.jpg
    Both light up for me. You have to fly directly over them and they are little out of line with the runway. Since the range is short for the lorenz, I place the airfield beacon right behind (in-line) with the SBA Hat so the NDB will have you lined up with the runway.

I changed to in-air, lined up the beacons and moved the NDB and moved the inner beacon back a little bit just for easy testing. Also left the secondary nav at ch. 300 so you don't have to rush to change it.

LorenzTobruk.mis.txt
    Last edited by Torric270; Aug-16-2020 at 16:44.

23. Likes ATAG_SKUD, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks Torric- works as advertised
    I tried to rotate the antenna one bump and see what it did. Man, that thing is sensitive. You must have a pretty good eye to align it. Does that Target option do anything?
    added to my DWT wish list-Toggleable foggles

skud

Once we get weather, nights and lights it be very cool to have a real blind flying mission. Requiring a blind landing. be nice to get the beeps in the headset too. (are you listening Colander?) This stuff in my opinion along with the more realistic FM s what differentiates CloD/DWT from BoX. Being able to fight historically authentic battles in MP and have decent SP missions differentiates it from DCS. This sim has the opportunity to pull the best from both of these sims and even bring a little MS FlightSim to the table with blind flying.
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Aug-17-2020 at 04:41.

25. Likes ATAG_Noofy, TheVino3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I tried to rotate the antenna one bump and see what it did. Man, that thing is sensitive. You must have a pretty good eye to align it.
    The only way I could do it was by consulting Tom's airfield guide and getting the exact direction of the airstrip. Then I set the value in the mission using a text editor.

Getting the inner and outer markers lined up was also difficult.